“Brilliant Art Deco Hotel”

Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport
Ranked #47 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Attended a friends wedding here & the stay topped off a great weekend. Staff were very helpful, very polite & couldn't do enough to make our stay welcome. A great Art Deco Hotel which was the old airport. Shopping facilities across the road & David Lloyds gym available to residents. Rooms were very nice & the beds are very comfy. The shower would sometimes run like watering can but that did not put any negative effect to our stay. Highly recommended

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,245)

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We chose this hotel because we liked the Crowne Plaza at Manchester Airport, we were delighted to find that the Liverpool, John Lennon Airport Hotel was even better, we will certainly return and recommend to anyone wanting a nice clean, well presented Hotel with very friendly Staff who couldn't do enough for you! Thank you for such an enjoyable start to our holiday.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here with a friend to attend a family party held not far from there. As the building was one I remember from my childhood I had wanted to see it as a hotel - and was not disappointed. Wow!! Beautifully furnished reception with extremely helpful staff. The rooms were well presented, clean, all amenities you would expect. Beds were so comfortable and the bathroom was in keeping with the rest of the hotel standards. The bar area was comfortable and for hotel prices not overly priced. We joined the priority club and were allowed to extend checkout to 2pm - this was recommended by the reception staff - thank you. I know this hotel is a way out from the city centre but I would concider using it again if I was visiting the city centre as for quality comfort and value it would be worth the travelling!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Phil D, Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Its is great to hear you had a nice stay .It is also pleasing that we impressed you I hope to see you again soon
PP Joanne Harrison

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I was at an evening wedding reception on 2nd Nov 2012 stayind overnight. The venue, accommodation and food was excellent however, the bar facilities left a lot to be desired.

There was limited choice of draft beer, bitter being restricted to Cains or Boddington neither of which was perfect. The beer would not pump correctly, too much froth. It was obvious that the pumps/cellar had not been set-up prior to the start of the function. The fridges were not fully stocked at the start of the night. the service was appalling, only 3 bar staff on a bar that had to cater for 250+ guests. A ratio or 1 to 50 guests is the norm.

The killer was the price of the drinks no wonder people bring "bag ale", £35 for 6 drinks is somewhat excessive.

As a hotel for accommodation it was fine but I would have reservation using it for a family venue.

Room Tip: All rooms were acceptable.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Booked this Hotel for one night, so called 21 day discount £92.00 for Room only. Was not aware of the Hotel terms of taking total amount of booking immediately from my Account. I have had numerous emails with the Company, but they are adamant that they are correct in doing so, oblique conditions !!!!!
I cancelled the booking as I have NEVER had this happen before. I will not book on line with a Big Hotel group again, I will stick to small Bed and Breakfasts........ Far Better Value !!!!!

Room Tip: Don't book !
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gardener43-11
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We checked out of the hotel this morning (Sunday 28 Oct 2012). The hotel seems pretty good (3/4 star) on first impression. The check-in process was adequate, not ideal but ok.
The room allocated was small, smelt musty and wasnt overly impressive, however the bed was comfy.
The bathroom was tiny for a Crowne Plaza.

Now for the points that back-up my poor rating:
1. The bar was poorly manned, with staff flitting around chatting and more interested in their own drinks than serving.
2. We were allocated a room on the second floor, which we found out at around 10pm (when the music started) was located directly above a function room.
3. At midnight, we tried to call down to reception to find out how long this was going on for, and no one answered!
4. We went down to the reception desk and found an unhelpful attendent, unwilling to help. We asked to check out as we were not prepared to stay any longer. We were told that we would be billed regardless!!
5. The music stopped just after 1am....good thing the clocks went back.
6. We ordered one newspaper and received a completely different one.
7. When we raised this to the reception desk attendent when we left first thing this morning, we were met with a stony inconsiderate response. Not what I would have ever expected from a hotel that has 4 star certificates on its walls.

I could go on, on arrival we found just over half a roll of toilet paper provided? dirty bathroom floor, ironing board not working properly. I have tried to concentrate on the primary function of a hotel room; that of providing a room to sleep in and good service.

Bottom line: The worst Crowne Plaza I've ever stayed in; as a regular business user and priority club points member of considerable status I am appalled that the company still has properties of this standard on its books. I have written to Priority Club already to express my disgust.

I would recommend using one of the numerous other hotels in the immediate area, closer to the airport if this is your requirement, or closer to the city centre if you need this. I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed here last week (Sunday 14 October) as we were flying out early from Liverpool Airport.
It is in a good location, opposite a retail park which is good if you have any time to spend here....there is a Next, Marks and Spencers etc. There is also a restaurant next door which we decided to eat in for dinner which was nice enough, a bit of a 60's themed place but food was good enough and nice waiting staff. There is also a Pizza hut and Mcdonald's in the retail park.
Our room was nice enough but all of the furniture could have done with a good wipe down as there were glass ring marks and general dust which had obviously been there for a while. We checked in around 4pm and there were empty bottles from the previous guest laying outside our room for a good while.
We had a few drinks in the bar and could overhear the bar staff moaning about the hotel and from general observations it seemed like all of the staff were very overworked covering different areas of the hotel. Reception staff were not very forthcoming with information when we checked in and we had to ask them about getting to the airport (no free shuttle - £4 in a taxi) and the parking.
Buffet breakfast was ok. It looked like there was only 1 member of staff on breakfast duty so she was busy running around. We had to ask her for glasses to be brought out so that we could have some orange juice and this was done pretty quickly and pleasantly.
As we got a very cheap rate here I didn't complain about anything as we had a comfortable enough sleep and it really was just somewhere to stay before we jetted off on holiday. Next though I think I would stay at the Premier Inn which is a little bit closer to the airport and probably the same cost.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a nicer view. It seems that the back of the hotel is used for storing old ae...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends