“Never coming back.”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Liverpool
Description: Lovingly handmade cakes
Reviewed May 19, 2013

So I went to this establishment last Saturday with a friend after we were recommended to try the cakes here by a colleague. First of all, the seating arrangements were awkward. No big deal there. However, it took us a long time to finally get a waitress's attention, what with them buzzing off pass us before we could even raise our hand. Then, I assume from her dressing, a senior staff came to wait for us. She was brief and crude as she took our order, but I didn't really mind that as well. Maybe she had a bad day. I ordered a cupcake that was too hard and sweet for my liking and apple tart that was, okay. After finishing our desserts and coffee, I tried to signal to her for our bill. Instead of stopping by our table, she just kept walking pass while talking to me and so I had to request for my bill from her across the room. The service here just keeps getting worse.

What broke the deal for me came next:
She came with the bill and I told her I'll be paying with my debit card. She then returned with a handheld card reader and after slotting in my card, told me to key in the pin. I reminded her again that it was a debit card before she promptly pressed the buttons and gave me the receipt and walked off. I sat there surprised, no, shocked. If you own a debit/credit card, you well know that you will have to sign the receipt as a form of verification and the cashier will have to check that the signature is the same as the one on the back of the card. Then the purchase is final. However when I got my receipt, it shows that the signature has been verified. This means 2 things: 1) She was too lazy to offer me a pen for me to sign and verify my purchase and so verified it herself. 2) I didn't get the chance to verify that I am indeed paying for what I purchase before it is deducted from my card so if there were any errors, I couldn't get it rectified as the purchase is final and my 'signature' has approved the purchase and has been verified.

That, is not only rude, but wrong on so many levels. Very very disappointed that I had to experience this from an establishment that held so much promise.

1  Thank Nur Atiqah A

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I took my mum for lunch - having been to the leeds branch) as her name is valerie and she has a sweet tooth. Interior disappointing - should be in an old building with French decoration like the leeds one but cakes and food is wonderful

Reviewed May 5, 2013

This branch has had no air conditioning or proper ventilation for some weeks. The Manager has said it will be repaired but that was said about 3 to 4 weeks ago as well as today. Other companies consider the comfort of their customers and staff and hire temporary equipment but not this chain it appears who leave us to sweat; or vote with our feet and wallets. Avoid! Use the Cafe Nero on the right or Carluccio's on the left. Both, from present conditions, far more comfortable and customer focused.

Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

My Son and I stumbled on this place last week and with our noses pressed up to the window admiring the beautiful cakes we decided we would return.

After reading a few of the reviews on here I was somewhat concerned as to whether this place would live up to our expectations. ........... it did.

As soon as we walked in we were greeted with a smile and told to take a seat (the young lady was also serving someone else which is why we weren't shown to a table, she was courteous and polite to both myself and the other customer she was serving). We chose a seat in the window and given time to view the menu. My son will always go for a cooked breakfast which the member of staff informed us was not on the menu but was availabe, I went for the Salmon Salad. Both my Son and I cleared our plates. Although some have said "it is overpriced" I believe you pay for what you get. Both my Son and I didn't have room left for a dessert which only leaves one option and that is we will have to return.

I look forward to our next visit and a repeat of the first class service we received today.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

After looking forward to a 'special' coffee and cake treat with my husband we stared at the delicious cakes in the window...are made our choice...girl invited us to take a seat and....we waited and waited surrounded by tables full of dirty dishes and slops... Girl started listlessly clearing dishes into a plastic bin a few feet away and she basically threw them in...Clatter Clatter Bang Bang. It was so noisy uninviting and a huge disappointment. I eventually asked if we could be served and girl took order and we waited and waited (I mean how long does it take to make 2 coffees and put 2 cakes on a plate). Most expensive cafe in Liverpool...they need to do some staff training!