“Great 3 star hotel, warm welcome and comfortable. What more do you need!”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Ranked #40 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
London, United Kingdom
“Great 3 star hotel, warm welcome and comfortable. What more do you need!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I'd been for lunches/dinners there before with family and I thought it was always pleasant but I had no expectations staying there, as there was no room at the inn from family members when I stayed this time.
The staff were pleasant and well trained where ever you went, the rooms were a little old fashioned looking but very clean, comfy bed and wonderful pillowy pillows ! Bathroom looked new and a decent size. The breakfast was lovely, full english very good and veggies read on, they do veggie full english! Lovely tiptree mini jams etc and the usual fruit salad and selection of cereals. Also, the breakfast room is a lovely old room with beautiful cornicing.
Theres a 24 hour snack menu, newspapers if required and wake up calls organised.
They also have a lodge with a ramp for disabled or less abled people which sounds lovely which they charge the same as a superior room.
I couldn't fault it for a really good 3 star hotel!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
GordonDirector, Owner at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Well thank you for your review. I am pleased you spotted two of the new things we introduced earlier on in the year, the luxury feather and down pillows and the tip tree jams instead of the sachet Dueers ones we were using. We are constantly working to improve and little finishing touches such as quality jams. We are also in the process of refurbishing the bar area and once the decorating is complete, the new carpet and furniture will arrive.......

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We booked two of the best rooms in the hotel with four poster beds, for two nights, when we attended a family wedding in Great Crosby. The rooms are on the small size but this didn't represent a problem to us. The beds are comfortable, bathrooms are compact and sleep quality is certainly good in the rooms at the back of the hotel. If you have a sea-facing front room you may have to wait until midnight for some peace and quiet if there is a function in the hotel. Or you could join the party.

I think one of the ways you can judge a hotel is the way staff respond when errors are made. In our case when the wrong meal was delivered when we dined in the restaurant. The waitress was very apologetic and quickly took the meal away. In a short time the correct order was delivered with profuse apologies. The meals themselves were very good value for the money. Breakfasts are very tasty and of a good quality.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. I get the impression that a big effort is being made by everybody to improve the hotel's standing. The hotel is in an excellent position facing the sea. There is also ample parking.

I understand that a refurbishment programme is being undertaken. The introduction of room fridges would be a welcome addition

Overall a good stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kempr52
Axminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights on business and as I don't like city centre hotels this was perfect for me, with easy access to main routes but a fairly quiet location. Unlike 317011 I found the car park rather small but there is lots of free on street parking in front of the hotel.

I had a couple of really splendid evening meals, fresh ingredients well prepared, though I was forgotten one evening - an occupational hazard I find as a lone female, thank heavens for kindles!
which is why I haven't given it 5 stars. Having said that I will return

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I attended here on Sunday 9th June about 1600hrs. Having waited at the bar for about 15 minutes. Other people got served before me. The problem was the staff didn't have a clue about a rota' system and served who ever was in front of them even if they just appeared. I tied to be polite and be patient as there was 2 persons serving. I waited and was ignored. So I Ieft and gave my business elsewhere. I was going to try to order food but why wait to spend money. Poor service all round or poor management, you decide.

Room Tip: Be prepared to wait in the bar
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Trev D
GordonDirector, Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
I have carefully reviewed the CCTV from the Sunday in question and AT NO TIME was anyone left waiting or left without being seen to for any longer than 3.5 minutes maximum. I take it that when you reference the "rota" system, you mean that you lost your turn. I saw you on CCTV going up to the bar than going away from the bar and back again. Sorry, but if you dont actually stand at the bar and WAIT, then dont expect us to know this, especially when there were 3 staff manning the bar. Maybe you think you are more important than everyone else, but in this case, we do not agree with your accusations
Kent
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Arrived at this hotel as was recommended by work colleague. The hotel was very grand upon arrival, lady on reception was lovely and helpful. I was on the very top floor and the room was gorgeous- giant flat screen tv, gorgeous bed and furniture abd very clean. I then went into the bathroom which was also very,very nice. There is free wifi which is a bonus. I managed to get a great price for this hotel, I would have expected to pay over £100 for the standard of this hotel.
Breakfast was very nice - I always hate eating alone but I was made to feel welcome and thoroughly enjoyed my food.
The hotel is located in a beautiful location with bars as restaurants within walking distance.
I would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for wifi code at reception before you get to your room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 3170ll
GordonDirector, Owner at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon
Regards
Gordon
uk
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed for a night and was ok. The room was a little tired but the bed was comfy. There was an Issue with the hot water, but this was sorted at the end of the stay with an suitable outcome.
The bar food was good, but had to wait for half an hour for it, which a little disappointing.
The staff were helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Sea view for the sunset.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RHukUk
GordonDirector, Owner at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for your review. The hotel was experiencing a slight problem with one of the boilers during your stay, however, as you state, it was sorted and we continue to monitor the water as a precaution. With regards bar meals and half hour wait. All of our food is freshly cooked to order and as such takes time to prepare and cook. We do not use microwave ready meals like the majority of chain establishments and at least we know what is in our food ie no horse! Good things come to those who wait
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed here a month or so ago, and had a nice weekend, in a pretty average hotel. Reading some of the other reviews (and hilarious responses!) I have to agree about the cold. It would be nice to arrive to a cosy room on a freezing day, and we also had to ask reception a couple of times to sort out the heating in our room. It emerged that it must have been off for our whole part of the hotel which was why we could not get it on at the wall, but to be fair the staff sorted it out in the end, and I have to add were very friendly throughout and a credit to the place.
Other than that, the room was fair, with a pretty large bathroom (almost bigger than the room itself), a slightly less exciting view of the back road. Decoration was a bit dated, but the bed very comfortable (and by the evening nice and warm).
Food in the bar was very good, breakfast a bit less exciting.
Overall, it was ok and a sunnier day would have done more justice, but I would probably look around a bit next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family