“Drink and a meal”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Ranked #39 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I attended here on Sunday 9th June about 1600hrs. Having waited at the bar for about 15 minutes. Other people got served before me. The problem was the staff didn't have a clue about a rota' system and served who ever was in front of them even if they just appeared. I tied to be polite and be patient as there was 2 persons serving. I waited and was ignored. So I Ieft and gave my business elsewhere. I was going to try to order food but why wait to spend money. Poor service all round or poor management, you decide.

Room Tip: Be prepared to wait in the bar
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Trev D
GordonDirector, Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

I have carefully reviewed the CCTV from the Sunday in question and AT NO TIME was anyone left waiting or left without being seen to for any longer than 3.5 minutes maximum. I take it that when you reference the "rota" system, you mean that you lost your turn. I saw you on CCTV going up to the bar than going away from the bar and back again. Sorry, but if you dont actually stand at the bar and WAIT, then dont expect us to know this, especially when there were 3 staff manning the bar. Maybe you think you are more important than everyone else, but in this case, we do not agree with your accusations

There are newer reviews for Royal Hotel

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Arrived at this hotel as was recommended by work colleague. The hotel was very grand upon arrival, lady on reception was lovely and helpful. I was on the very top floor and the room was gorgeous- giant flat screen tv, gorgeous bed and furniture abd very clean. I then went into the bathroom which was also very,very nice. There is free wifi which is a bonus. I managed to get a great price for this hotel, I would have expected to pay over £100 for the standard of this hotel.
Breakfast was very nice - I always hate eating alone but I was made to feel welcome and thoroughly enjoyed my food.
The hotel is located in a beautiful location with bars as restaurants within walking distance.
I would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for wifi code at reception before you get to your room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 3170ll
GordonDirector, Owner at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon
Regards
Gordon

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed for a night and was ok. The room was a little tired but the bed was comfy. There was an Issue with the hot water, but this was sorted at the end of the stay with an suitable outcome.
The bar food was good, but had to wait for half an hour for it, which a little disappointing.
The staff were helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Sea view for the sunset.
1  Thank RHukUk
GordonDirector, Owner at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Thank you for your review. The hotel was experiencing a slight problem with one of the boilers during your stay, however, as you state, it was sorted and we continue to monitor the water as a precaution. With regards bar meals and half hour wait. All of our food is freshly cooked to order and as such takes time to prepare and cook. We do not use microwave ready meals like the majority of chain establishments and at least we know what is in our food ie no horse! Good things come to those who wait

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed here a month or so ago, and had a nice weekend, in a pretty average hotel. Reading some of the other reviews (and hilarious responses!) I have to agree about the cold. It would be nice to arrive to a cosy room on a freezing day, and we also had to ask reception a couple of times to sort out the heating in our room. It emerged that it must have been off for our whole part of the hotel which was why we could not get it on at the wall, but to be fair the staff sorted it out in the end, and I have to add were very friendly throughout and a credit to the place.
Other than that, the room was fair, with a pretty large bathroom (almost bigger than the room itself), a slightly less exciting view of the back road. Decoration was a bit dated, but the bed very comfortable (and by the evening nice and warm).
Food in the bar was very good, breakfast a bit less exciting.
Overall, it was ok and a sunnier day would have done more justice, but I would probably look around a bit next time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jimmyur
GordonDirector, Owner at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel twice now and on both occasions found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The rooms are lovely if lacking a few subtle details that would improve them. There is nothing wrong per se more a few things than aren't quite right with them. However the rooms, we have stayed in, were sizeable and warm, clean and pleasantly decorated.
The only meal we ate in the hotel was breakfast which was a 7/10. Very generous portions for the fry (the sausages were not great but everything else was top notch), however there wasn't much choice bar the traditional English Breakfast - several cereals and some cheese and meats. It could do with some pastries etc from variety.

If you want a modern, sleek hotel this one isn't for you. However if you value good service and friendly staff that this one ticks all the boxes.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. You mention that our rooms could do with some subtle details yet omit what these are. We are curious

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed at the hotel whilst visiting the grand national. South street is just a few minutes walk away with some good bars and restaurants. The staff at the hotel were very helpful. Rooms are basic but clean.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
GordonDirector, Owner at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Regards
Gordon

Reviewed April 4, 2013

The rooms have a decent size (say, some 14 m2) and with the typical British decoration you'd expecting in a building with a classical look and feel. The bathroom is well equipped, has a comfortable space and it eventually brings everything you'd need – including warm towel rack. The rooms also provide you with a wall trousers’ presser.
The internet worked fine in the first day, but the wireless connection became lousy and at some point it was sometimes unusable. This was a real turn down for me, as it was either down for some seconds, or just painfully slow.
Within a 20 min cab ride you'll be able to arrive to Liverpool Lime Station, but you should consider a bit more time during rush hour. I took the cab at 8.30 am, and everything went really fine – price around 15£.
The hotel personnel was very kind and friendly and even borrowed me for a 4 days’ period a continental European-British plug adapter, that I had forgotten to bring.
The breakfast is served à la carte, so I'd recommend going early and with at least some 30-45 min before your leaving time, so as to provide you with enough leverage to make your selection, wait for it to be cooked and eat in peace. There is already tea, fruit and yogurts available when you access the restaurant, but you'll have to order your breakfast from the provided menu. As an English breakfast lover, I always had fried eggs with bacon, grilled tomato, beans in tomato sauce and white toast – a treat!
The hotel doesn’t have an elevator – it only has two floors, I believe – and I took the luggage to my room on the 2nd floor by myself. The hotel personnel offered their help, which I kindly declined because I don't like to oblige people to do this. In any case, considering the architecture and interior planning of such an old building, I'd find it very difficult to get an elevator installed in there.
The restaurant of the hotel has nice servants, but the food is somewhat insipid. It always felt as if it was cooked without ay salt at all – I believe many people will prefer it like this – but I'm not an adept of adding salt after a meal has been cooked. I found the food taste to be so-so, although the olives with feta cheese entrance dish was supreme.
I'd stay again if I had to work in the same area, but I'd definitely recommend the hotel management to improve the internet wireless connection, because it’s a shame that this doesn’t coincide with the nice and friendly amenities of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Hi, Thank you for your review. We have been looking into a higher speed internet access, however for some reason, the Waterloo area is not served well. Our current provider has not installed infinity yet, so at peak times, access may be slow. However, we are due to change suppliers shortly and we should be offering all our guests "superfast" broadband very shortly. I have also noted the down time of a couple of seconds on the internet and this again is down to the supplier, we have complained, but still problematic which will be sorted when we get the new connection
Some of our rooms have wired ethernet sockets which offer a vastly improved access experience, so if you stay again, it may be worth requesting this. In addition, as we refurbish each bedroom, we are installing more wired internet access points and we also loan the cables to attach to your laptop
With regards to the lift, you are quite right, it is impossible to fit a lift, however, we do have a ground floor room "the hougomont".
Thank you for chosing the Royal Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back