“Fawlty Towers”

Ranked #70 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Liverpool
“Fawlty Towers”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

This was the most shambolic hotel I've ever had the misfortune to stay at. Right from the off the "manager" John came out of his office and greeted us with "yeah", like I was inconveniencing him by wanting to check in! Later we wanted a drink from the bar and was treated like it was another inconvenience as the bar is not permanently tended to. But the best and funniest (but not at the time) was when we were threatened of having the police called on us because after yet more pathetic customer service I called the "manager" a clown, he deemed this as threatening. It wasn't threatening I was stating a fact that he was so incompetent and so customer unfriendly that he is really in the wrong trade! I asked was the hotel a chain so I could speak to someone higher than this fool, but unsurprisingly it is a privately run hotel so I knew there would be no point in complaining. Honestly Basil Fawlty would be ashamed of this mans unprofessionalism.
We only stayed as we had parked the car here and it would have been such an inconvienance to have had to go back to get the car the next day.
The benches in the garden where we had sat with our drinks were still not cleared 5 hours after we left and there was a broken glass left on the table. Cleaning obviously not seen as a priority here.
I'm from Liverpool and I am ashamed to think this place and that clown may represent our city to visitors.
Never again would I stay here!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
acer40, Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Graigando Liverpool
Thank you so much for your comments on trip advisor, , though disappointing to read I feel I must take this opportunity to set the record straight, at no time ever, do our guest become an inconvenience to us at the hotel all previous the comments on trip advisor would substantiate that.

The hotel bar does not open weekdays until 5pm and at your request, we found a member of staff to open the bar for you, again no inconvenience to us what so ever, I am perplexed as to why you felt you were not being treated as you would expect, as the team at the Devonshire House Hotel endeavour to manage our guest expectation.

I feel you have written these poor comments on trip advisor in response to the a member of the team requesting that you stop your inappropriate behaviour, in front of all of are other guest at the hotel.

Your admission to name calling members of our team which was in an aggressive manner and you being unreasonable to listen to reason, sometimes it leaves us with no opportunity but to threaten to call the police as we do not and will not tolerate this sort of behaviour at the hotel.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say thankfully these incidents are few and far between.

kind regards

John Brown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Londin
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

Our stay was fantastic. The room was spacious, bathroom was up to date, the staff where very friendly and the room was very comfortable.
We ate several times in the restaurant and the food was pleasant and the prices where very reasonable. I'd stay there again anytime.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Abie 1k

Thank you so much for your kind comments on trip advisor, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt the food was pleasant, our staff always welcome good comments about their friendliness, they do pride themselves on making our guest comfortable and welcoming.

Once again thank you so much for taking the time to leave your kind comments

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2014

you get what you pay for we could not fault the hotel the room we had was clean and plenty big enough for the two of us i could not fault the staff who were very helpful and pleasant if i was to go liverpool again i would certainly re-visit this hotel

Room Tip: we were advised by a friend to talk to reception about the room to stay in
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
acer40, Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Dear frances292

Many thanks for your kind comments on TripAdvisor, I am so please you enjoyed your stay at the hotel so refreshing to read open and honest comments, we would more than happy to welcome you back to stay with us again

Once again thank you for leaving your comments on TripAdvisor

Saline, Fife
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was another KGB deal for us with two nights breakfast and one dinner. For the price, we didn't expect much and some reviews suggested that this was wise, However, first impressions were good with an attractive reception and a friendly receptionist.
The room we were allocated had a pleasant outlook overlooking the gardens and was enormous. The en suite was equally large with plenty of hot water. The shower controls were a bit complicated but... My only gripe was that the comfortable bed had a mega tog duvet and I just about melted. We were perhaps lucky as we did hear a chinese gent complaining about his room.
Unusually, restaurant staff were mainly scousers with the customary friendliness. Contrary to some bad reviews, the meals were fine.
The hotel is close to a frequent bus service to Liverpool centre and a day ticket is good value. It drops you right in the centre so there is no point in driving.
We really liked Liverpool apart from some of the horrible modern developments around the Albert Dock. Shame on you, Liverpool Council. Well worth a trip is the Mersey Ferry that is really good value with informative commentary although I'm not a great fan of "ferree cross the Mehrrrsee"
To a great extent, our visit wasn't long enough as the hotel was grant and we didn't see as much of Liverpool as we would have liked. Assuming that we could have the same room, we would certainly return

Room Tip: overlooking gardens (front)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
acer40, Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2014
Dear DonnieM

Thank you so Much for leaving such wonderful Comments on trip advisor, it always pleases the team to read such positive comments,

I am pleased you enjoyed your trip to Liverpool it is a marvellous City and full of friendly people (scousers) we always receive excellent comments about the city and people.

I do hope you get the opportunity to return to Liverpool again and hopefully stay with us once again

Dublin
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Well guys celebrated my sons wedding in Liverpool last week at The Devenshire House Hotel. Being a trip adviser contributor I do read the reviews of other people who have stayed there and read there reviews. Now I am sure you agree with me when I say we all have different likes opinions etc. As a frequent traveller my no 1 with all hotels is the cleanness' of the rooms and en suite to me this takes first spot because if this is anyway kept right you will find most other things in the hotel also pretty ok indeed. Well I did read the reviews but because my son book me in I could not very say I am changing Hotels. Well I must say from our arrival time to departure was most enjoyable. I sampled all within the hotel. The restaurant, Bar and function room the staff were very friendly and helpful. Yes it looks worst for the wear outside but inside old but nice relaxing, period. My room was very clean again old furniture but terrific TV bed was comfortable it was nice to look out into there beautiful gardens. So a pleasant surprise and yes we would return.

Room Tip: Facing the garden if available.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank George M
Dear thefullmooney

Thank you so much for you lovely feedback, it was so nice to read you enjoyed your stay you are quite right people’s needs and wants from a hotel do differ from person to person.

So managing expectation can be difficult but we do endeavour to accomplish this we would love to have back to stay with us.

Once again thank you so much for taking the time to leave your comments

John
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on a KGB deal. Overall we had a pleasant stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We arrived in the pouring rain and I was immediately offered a towel as I was quite wet.

The gardens and reception were well maintained but the bedroom/bathroom needed a facelift. The room we had was large and everything was clean but looked very tired and dated.

We struggled to get a table for breakfast on both mornings as the restaurant is quite small and there were a lot of guests wanting food at the same time. The breakfast was very 'basic'. There was a choice of cereal, grapefruit segments, juice and tea and coffee which was self service. The cooked breakfast was served on very tiny plates, almost like side plates. We had a choice from scrambled egg (very watery), a hash brown, one piece of bacon, one sausage, tinned tomatoes, baked beans and toast. All in all, not bad but nothing special.

Included in our KGB deal was an evening meal. Strangely enough, the restaurant was completely empty when we went for our meal. Again, the food was okay but nothing to write home about, although it was completely edible.

Would I return again? Maybe, if the deal we had was offered again but I think I would prefer to stay in a hotel within walking distance of the City centre (taxi cost approximately £5).

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Stayed at the Devonshire hotel when the giants were in liverpool 25 26 27 July. staff were very friendly and helpful rooms basic but nice and clean.great gardens round the hotel very relaxing after a busy day.restaurant staff exceptional we had a great stay

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family