“Brilliant Staff Good Food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Devonshire House Hotel

Devonshire House Hotel
Ranked #70 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Staff Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I booked here for 2 nights whilst attending a conference - exhibition at Liverpool university
My main reason for booking here was parking free internet and the fact a restaurant and bar were on site.

I have to be honest i did have some issues with my room but after contacting reception i was promptly moved to a lovely newly decorated room with fresh crisp new bedding.

I ate in the restaurant on 4 occasions 2 breakfasts and 2 evening meals and found the food to be of very good quality and exceptionally good value for money.
The restaurant staff bar staff reception staff and even the cleaners are a credit to the Hotel everyone was friendly and efficient and did there utmost to make me feel welcome.

I spent quite a bit of time chatting to Dave the Hotel Owner a real nice genuine guy whose personality has obviously rubbed off on everyone who works at the Hotel.

Most people here have commented on the fact that much of the Hotel could do with freshening up i agree that some areas are looking a little tired but this reflects in the price I can stay 2 night here with breakfast for little more than it would cost for 1 night in a premier inn without breakfast.
In addition the Hotel was pretty much full and a great deal of the people staying were repeat customers so that in itself must say something.
I will definitely be staying here on my next overnight in Liverpool.

Thanks Dave and all of the staff for your hospitality

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MH1974, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Mickholliday

Thank you for spending 2 days with us. it was our pleasure to welcome you to the hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our facilities and service to be excellent.

I am delighted that you found the team members in all areas of the hotel to be welcoming and accommodating and that looked after you during your stay.

Thank you for recommending us and we hope to see you again soon on your next visit to Liverpool.

Best wishes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
bolton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Drove to the hotel, checked in, saw the room allocated to us, checked out ,drove home.
forget the excellent and good reviews, cant understand how it got them.
A night at a salvation army hostel would be better.
There was broken furniture, wobbly floor, cheap bedding, dirt headboard, awful
Don't bother.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mike t
Dear Mike T,

Thank you for the taking the time to write a review.

I am sorry to hear you were unhappy with certain elements of your short visit to the hotel it is not the hotels intention to cause distress to any of our guests and I can only apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Warmest Regards

Travelers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night whilst attending a concert in central Liverpool. Very apprehensive about our stay because of the very cheap price through laterooms.com. Although the hotel is a little 'tired' and could do with some fresh decoration we should not have worried. The room was perfect! Spacious, clean, comfy, cosy bed and lovely sofa. Breakfast was large, varied and tasty and most of all, we would like to say thanks to Kanga and her colleagues on the staff for their wonderful hospitality, care and friendliness. Nothing was too much for them.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarieSloan
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review following on from you recent stay, I am so pleased to read your positive comments,

Our team do work hard to provide a 'home from home' experience and I know they will be delighted to read your feedback.I have passed on you kind comments to Kinga,

Once again many thanks, we do hope you will return to Liverpool on a future occasion.

Kind regards,
Shropshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We have stayed in Liverpool many times before and have always stayed city centre but on this occasion, the central hotels were either fully booked or out of our price range. I was apprehensive after reading the mixed reviews on here but need not have worried. Our room was clean, bright and airy with a good sized bathroom. Plentiful free car parking with bus stop within couple of minutes walk. Taxi back from city centre (early hours) cost about £7. Reception staff friendly and helpful on check in. Bonus for us was that my husband left a small item behind which could easily have been thrown away as worthless. However, as soon as I realised (about 3 hours after checking out) I rang the hotel to ask if it had been found. After a couple more phone calls back and forth, item was located and sent to me in post. All staff members I dealt with were exceptionally understanding when I explained that this was of sentimental value and meant a lot to my husband. One gentleman (sorry I didn't take down name) even rang me to assure me that he was going to put it in the post himself on his way home from his shift. Now that's what I call customer service. Thanks so much to you all for your help.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following on from your recent stay, I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your time in Liverpool and indeed our hotel.

It is great that our team made you feel welcome we do pride ourselves on our customer service and its great to see that your comment reflect this - please do come back and see us again soon!

Once again thank you for your kind review and we hope to welcome you on another travel occasion.

Kind regards,
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

My friend and I booked this Hotel on booking.com. It was a prepaid booking as it seemed like a good deal. Having read the reviews I was a little apprehensive and contacted the Hotel before we arrived requesting a refurbished room which we were promised. On arrival we were given room 303 (which was refurbished)!!!!! The valance on the bed was dirty, the side tables were falling apart and although the bathroom was clean the shower door was coming away and we couldn't put the hot water tap off. The Hotel needed a complete overhaul....it is also out of the way, a good 25 minute walk into Liverpool but 10 minutes on the bus. The highlight of the weekend was going on the Ferry across the mersey....I could slate the Hotel until the cows come home but the food was pretty good. We only ate there one evening and I must say although the dining room needed a refurb the evening meal was lovely. We would not go back to this Hotel. One plus the staff were really nice...If you want a drink at the bar you will find the staff at the back of the Hotel having a smoke!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Susan G
Dear Guest,,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comment, we truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

In a nutshell, it was the worst place I've stayed.
We had no heating.
we had no hot water.
A mouldy bathroom.
Blood stained drawers.
Chewing gum trodden into the carpet.
Unhelpful reception staff.
Dodgy electrics.
Due to all of the above our weekend was ruined.
We did get a full refund, however.... As mentioned, ruined the stay in Liverpool.... And due to the lack of heat/hot water, meant we were unable to shower prior to our evening out. We were offered electric heaters, however, these could not be left on throughout the night. The refund was not enough, I felt compensation was needed.....

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank LauraRobinson1985
MH1974, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review following your stay at the hotel.

I am very sorry that you encountered poor housekeeping during you stay and we appreciate the time you have taken to forward your comments regarding the cleanliness and maintanance of your guest bedroom.

I have taken your feedback very seriously as this is certainly not the way our team members have been trained. We have also implemented new procedures and further training.

Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights since it offered free car parking and an excellent local bus service into the city centre.
The colourful well attended gardens and spacious, bright reception area were a pleasing welcome.
Our quiet room on the 3rd floor, which overlooked a park, was basic, but clean and roomy. A hanging rail instead of a wardrobe didn't present a problem and drawer space was better than I have experienced in more expensive hotels.
The shower was simple to operate and hot water plentiful.
Our week was cold and wet but heating was turned on soon after our request.
The staff in all areas were cheerful. helpful and took an interest in our excursions.
On request variations to the breakfast were accepted eg. poached, fried egg. Four cereals were on offer as well as muslie and grapefruit.
I read in bed so no bed-light was annoying. A teapot per table, with hot water and milk would have been a bonus.
We felt this hotel gave excellent value for the price paid and would certainly stay again for a city break.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MH1974, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Guest

We are delighted that you chose to stay with us on your recent trip to Liverpool

I am pleased that you found our location to be suitable for your needs.

We are delighted to be able to offer our guests a varied breakfast and I am pleased that you enjoyed our offering.

I really hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel when your travels bring you back to Liverpool