“Good value”

The Lord Nelson Hotel
Ranked #56 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights on a stag do. Excellent location right outside lime street station and walking distance to all the bars and clubs. Breakfast was basic and cheap. Look elsewhere for a longer stay but for a bunch of lads it's ideal.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank nsm80
Lord N, General Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments on our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay here at the Lord Nelson Hotel and hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for The Lord Nelson Hotel

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed here last Friday for one night in a single room for £40 including continental breakfast (didn't eat that as I left too early - breakfast not served until 8.00 am on Saturday).

The room was fine, functional, clean and a bonus was that it was a large single bed (more like a small double). The room was surprisingly quiet given its location. It was also great to be so close to Lime Street - head for the exit on the right and you are literally a few steps away from the hotel!

The bathroom had been refurbished and was large. My only criticism would be that the bedroom and bathroom felt a little cold - not helped by the fact that the heating was off when I arrived. It was easy to turn the heater on and the room soon warmed up but .... A few feminine touches wouldn't go amiss. I also felt the bathroom needed something thicker than a ragged net curtain at the window.

There was a huge TV mounted on the wall which was almost impossible to view from the bed as it was mounted on the wall to the left of the bed rather than in front of it. It was too big for the room and the money would have been better spent elsewhere.

That said, you really can't complain for the price and as I just wanted a place to sleep, I was more than happy with the price I paid.

PS For some reason I was asked for photo ID when I arrived but when I queried this, I was told it was not compulsory and I didn't have to provide it, they just asked all guests?

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Scarysezzer

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Excellent location next to the train station and shopping area, quiet, at very resonable price.
Rooms are small but ok, bedsheets clean, toilet cleaning needs improvement.
Breakfast basic but ok. Hotel has a large reception/living room, with large TV screen, and a bar.
Nice people. In rating this hotel i considerthe fact that I paid just 35 pounds/night including breakfast! So, can't be very demanding!

Room Tip: If arriving at Lime Street train station, search for an exit that takes you right to the hotel. Do...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Nicholas K

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I booked this very last minute for a gig I was going to at the Academy.
The first thing I was impressed with was its location, firstly as its literally two minutes from Lime Street Station and secondly because it is the building right next door to the Academy so I didn't have to worry about being late.
The welcome I got at reception was warm and friendly. I had booked two rooms for me and a friend and both rooms had their ups and downs. My friends room was a great size but on the down side it was right outside the elevator doors. So i opted for the much smaller room that was further away from the elevator thinking that this would save me being woken up in the middle of the night by people returning to their rooms. What I hadn't realised at this point is that the lifts are shut down at 11pm so I wouldn't have been disturbed at all!
My room was a bit grubby. The bedding had the token black curly hair on it and the wall next to the bed had various stains that I wouldn't want to hazard a guess at what they were. The most annoying bit about my room was that the window wouldn't shut fully so I got the road noise from outside throughout the night. This being said there were many positives. The shower area was nice and clean. There is a massive flat screen TV in the room if you wanted to just veg out for a day or so. The bar downstairs stays open until you are ready to go to bed (the night porter is exceptionally funny and friendly) and the biggest sell of all was that my room only cost me £30 with breakfast included.
The breakfast was a buffet style but there was still plenty of choice and the coffee was good enough
The hotel has signs asking for your feedback and if I hadn't been hit with the flu the following day I probably would have told them the things that I think needed fixing but to be honest they simply didn't bother me THAT much..
All in all this hotel doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is but for the price I think it is an absolute bargain and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here for future events when all you are looking for is somewhere to lay your head for the night in reasonable comfort.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank SerendipityUK

Reviewed January 5, 2013

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank brett a

Reviewed December 12, 2012

good location close to lime street station. receptionist could do with a lesson in customer service, being made to feel welcome or a smile would have been nice.When later enquiring if it was possible to obtain a second key for the twin room we were staying in, a prompt one word answer 'No' was the response. The room was a good size and nicely modernised however unfortunately the floor was was at a slant and the room stank of stale cigarette smoke. The staff were helpful in the breakfast room/bar but there were an inadequate number of seats for the number of guests.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sgt d

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are disappointed to hear you didn't enjoy your stay. We have taken your points seriously and on board.
We are disappointed you were greeted in that manner. We have spoken to all reception staff regarding this to make sure this will not happen again.
Also smoking in rooms is taken serious by manage and often when identified either a charge will be made or ask to leave the hotel. The Lord Nelson is a strictly no smoking hotel.
I hope these points do not deter you from visiting us again sometime soon.

Best Wishes
All at The Lord Nelson

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Very close to Lime Street Station, if you come out of the Lord Nelson Street exit [signposted] you can see the hotel to the right on the far side of the road. Welcoming staff, reception is always manned. I was given a room with a double bed although I booked a single. I liked the fact I could control the heating, it was particularly cold outside during my stay. A comfortable bed, good shower and a modern clean room. A very large flatscreen tv provided, wifi in my room [get the code at reception], Little extras like storage and a shelf in the bathroom, a long mirror in the room, even showergel provided makes this more comfortable than other budget hotels.There is a large lounge/bar with comfortable black leather settees as well as tables and chairs so a good place to relax provided as well.
Breakfast was continental and a selection of cereals,plus juice, croissants, ham and cheese and fresh fruit included in my £70 for 2 nights booked online.
Restaurants close by and the centre of town 5 mins walk [short cut back through the station]. There is an M and S Simply food in the station which I found handy and WH Smiths etc. Slight drawback of distant music and vibration but it stopped around 11, didn't bother me but it may depend on which room you are in. Overall good value, nice and helpful staff. Reception has a multi screen security minitoring system and I felt quite happy there a single female and would go again.

Room Tip: Ask if your room is in a quiet area of the hotel if thats what you want
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Standardswatch

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback on our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.