“Beautiful building but...”

Ranked #253 of 1,881 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: You will find The Philharmonic Dining Rooms in Liverpool within a short stroll of Hardman Street, Myrtle Street and Hope Street - however you won't find another like it.Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality.The Philharmonic Dining Rooms is one of many rare gems in the Nicholson's collection of great British pubs, reputed for their distinctive buildings, intriguing history and vibrant atmosphere.
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This building is a stunning example of Victorian architecture and style, the inside is breathtakingly beautiful with wonderful carved wood everywhere you look. It also has lovely stained glass windows and amazing ceilings in fact almost everywhere you look there is something for the eye to enjoy. It has two dining rooms a large downstairs and a smaller one up. In addition there are snug bars and two other bars all special in their own right!

However the food was disappointing we had a bowl of 'Scouse' which was cold the waitress was very apologetic and we got fresh bowls that were just warm enough to eat, the bread which came with them wasn't the freshest either. The food was very tasty but only sufficient for a light lunch. We each had tea with it and I think the bill was £12+ which is okay but much better had it been hot with a nice tasty roll!

I'd still recommend a visit because it's worth it just to see the building and the young lady who served us was very pleasant and helpful.

1  Thank deedeeGrimsby

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Fab place must go in its like stepping back in time, well apart from the cost of drinks etc (same price as everywhere else)

1  Thank jacci m
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Just over the road from the Philharmonic Hall so has a nice eclectic mix of clientele. Have been popping in on pub crawls for years. Don't miss the men's loos (even if you are female they don't mind) - impressive decor.

1  Thank Bronagh S
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This will always be my best experience of Liverpool. I loved the way the old features of the building had been preserved, yet it was still clean and up to date. The meal was great too, and good value - portion size enormous!

1  Thank Pennyanne2012
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Philharmonic pub oozes character and history and is a lovely place to explore real ales. The gents toilets are famous and listed. They are better now that there are decent taps so that I can actually was my hands.
The restaurant upstairs is in an equally nice setting. The first thing that I noticed was the price of the food on the menu: it is very expensive for what it is.
I ordered a pint of London Pride, which is what I had just had downstairs in the pub. The drinks came and the waitress informed me that they had run out of London Pride so the manager had decided on an alternative for me. I resented this and the waitress was placed in an uncomfortable position. I did not want a fuss because she had given us excellent service and I did not want the unthinking manager to spoil the evening. This manager clearly needs training in how to deal with customers and learn not to make substitutions for them. Suggestions are welcome, but do not make the decision yourself.
I had the chargrilled chicken and the quality did not warrant the price. It was not succulent at all.
The service was excellent by the way. The waitress was efficient, polite and very friendly.

2  Thank Gordon B