“Gotta go just for the mens toilets”

The Philharmonic Dining Rooms
Ranked #253 of 1,881 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: You will find The Philharmonic Dining Rooms in Liverpool within a short stroll of Hardman Street, Myrtle Street and Hope Street - however you won't find another like it.Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality.The Philharmonic Dining Rooms is one of many rare gems in the Nicholson's collection of great British pubs, reputed for their distinctive buildings, intriguing history and vibrant atmosphere.
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Just over the road from the Philharmonic Hall so has a nice eclectic mix of clientele. Have been popping in on pub crawls for years. Don't miss the men's loos (even if you are female they don't mind) - impressive decor.

1  Thank Bronagh S

Reviewed November 26, 2012

This will always be my best experience of Liverpool. I loved the way the old features of the building had been preserved, yet it was still clean and up to date. The meal was great too, and good value - portion size enormous!

1  Thank Pennyanne2012
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Philharmonic pub oozes character and history and is a lovely place to explore real ales. The gents toilets are famous and listed. They are better now that there are decent taps so that I can actually was my hands.
The restaurant upstairs is in an equally nice setting. The first thing that I noticed was the price of the food on the menu: it is very expensive for what it is.
I ordered a pint of London Pride, which is what I had just had downstairs in the pub. The drinks came and the waitress informed me that they had run out of London Pride so the manager had decided on an alternative for me. I resented this and the waitress was placed in an uncomfortable position. I did not want a fuss because she had given us excellent service and I did not want the unthinking manager to spoil the evening. This manager clearly needs training in how to deal with customers and learn not to make substitutions for them. Suggestions are welcome, but do not make the decision yourself.
I had the chargrilled chicken and the quality did not warrant the price. It was not succulent at all.
The service was excellent by the way. The waitress was efficient, polite and very friendly.

2  Thank Gordon B
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We were told a little of the history of this place during a tour and it looked beautiful from the outside. It is a Grade 2 listed building. When you walk in, it is very striking - you must look up to the ceilings and apparently the mens loos are something to behold - I trusted my husband on that score! We sat in the great lounge and ordered from a lunch menu (£7 for lunch with drink - pint of lager/glass of wine/large soft drink). I ordered the BBQ pulled beef sandwich and it was absolutely lovely. The pub is clean, tidy and had a nice relaxed atmosphere. We stayed a good while having a drink and unwinding... A lovely place and a great lunch...

2  Thank MrsC1970
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

When John Lennon was asked what he missed most, not being able to walk the streets of Liverpool as an ordinary guy anymore he answered: A pint at the Phil. I do understand him. Marvellous athmosphere. But what I misses most when coming home to Sweden is their bangers and mash!

1  Thank ojaba