“Over priced”

Ranked #160 of 1,781 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: You will find The Philharmonic Dining Rooms in Liverpool within a short stroll of Hardman Street, Myrtle Street and Hope Street - however you won't find another like it.Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality.The Philharmonic Dining Rooms is one of many rare gems in the Nicholson's collection of great British pubs, reputed for their distinctive buildings, intriguing history and vibrant atmosphere.
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Philharmonic pub oozes character and history and is a lovely place to explore real ales. The gents toilets are famous and listed. They are better now that there are decent taps so that I can actually was my hands.
The restaurant upstairs is in an equally nice setting. The first thing that I noticed was the price of the food on the menu: it is very expensive for what it is.
I ordered a pint of London Pride, which is what I had just had downstairs in the pub. The drinks came and the waitress informed me that they had run out of London Pride so the manager had decided on an alternative for me. I resented this and the waitress was placed in an uncomfortable position. I did not want a fuss because she had given us excellent service and I did not want the unthinking manager to spoil the evening. This manager clearly needs training in how to deal with customers and learn not to make substitutions for them. Suggestions are welcome, but do not make the decision yourself.
I had the chargrilled chicken and the quality did not warrant the price. It was not succulent at all.
The service was excellent by the way. The waitress was efficient, polite and very friendly.

2  Thank Gordon B
There are newer reviews for The Philharmonic Dining Rooms

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We were told a little of the history of this place during a tour and it looked beautiful from the outside. It is a Grade 2 listed building. When you walk in, it is very striking - you must look up to the ceilings and apparently the mens loos are something to behold - I trusted my husband on that score! We sat in the great lounge and ordered from a lunch menu (£7 for lunch with drink - pint of lager/glass of wine/large soft drink). I ordered the BBQ pulled beef sandwich and it was absolutely lovely. The pub is clean, tidy and had a nice relaxed atmosphere. We stayed a good while having a drink and unwinding... A lovely place and a great lunch...

2  Thank MrsC1970
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

When John Lennon was asked what he missed most, not being able to walk the streets of Liverpool as an ordinary guy anymore he answered: A pint at the Phil. I do understand him. Marvellous athmosphere. But what I misses most when coming home to Sweden is their bangers and mash!

1  Thank ojaba
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Atmosphere. Historic building. Great Beers. Lovely staff. Friendly service....food some problems. My advice book in advance if going across the road to the Philharmonic Theatre. Went on a Friday to the Proms and was going to just have a bar meal in the extensive and period furnished rooms but decided at the last minute to nip upstairs to the restaurant. Downstairs plenty of room and rooms, bar was very busy as it was obviously a favourite watering hole for local office staff. No annoying teenagers or music...a bar as it should be. Conversation & bonhomie all around. One table left upstairs and the girls reserved it for us. Girls serving, Shauna, Jenny & Debs all very friendly and efficient in a very busy restaurant. Choice of food was very reasonable and at reasonable prices as was the wine. My one complaint was that the food was served on cold plates, which in my case also had a bed of cold mash , which detracted from what was a otherwise an enjoyable meal. (Kitchen staff note: don't leave meals to go cold whilst waiting for the next ingredient...better still heat your plates up!!)
Price for dinner & sweet for three with wine & drinks just over £60....pretty good I thought.
Hint ....remember to book and ask for a hot plate!.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

A fantastic Liverpool local. Liverpool has many historic pubs, and this is just one. Good range of real ales and good food. The gents toilets are a sight to behold. See them to believe them.

1  Thank John_M1962