“Weekend Away”

Ranked #12 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Waterford, Ireland
“Weekend Away”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Went to Liverpool and the Indigo Hotel for a weekend away recently. We picked it from the reviews on TA, as we always do. Check-in was efficient and staff were friendly. The room was modern and well equipped but small. The free mini-bar was a cool touch (and the receptionist did tell us about it when we checked in). We didn't have breakfast so can't comment. Went to try the MPW restaurant on the friday night but were told they were fully booked, even though there was about 8 people sitting down.
Cocktail bar was nice for a kick-off drink or a late one! The location is good - Liverpool One, main shopping streets, Matthew Street, Albert Dock only 10 minute walk away. The street where the hotel is located is quiet so there should be no trouble getting a good nights sleep. We certainly had 2 great nights sleep.
Only other gripe is the knock on the door shortly before we were due to check out for 'room service'. I hate this policy in hotels of an accidental room service / alarm call, to make sure you check out on time.

Room Tip: Maybe get a higher floor room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
North Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I wasn’t impressed at all and I will not be going back.

I bought a LivingSocial.com Voucher for myself and my Partner, 1 Overnight Stay for two including Breakfast, 1 Sharing Platter consists of copa ham & bresaola with buffalo mozzarella, olives & rustic breads and a Drink (Bottle of Beer or Glass of House Wine each.

Out of 3 Weekends we have chosen (15. Oct, 29. Oct and 12. Nov), the Hotel was only able to give us the last date due to “football games on the other dates”. Maybe i should mention that we tryed to book in JULY.

At Reception, Sian just ignored the Voucher I handed her and checked us into the Hotel. No Information about the Gym, the Bar, the Lounge or our Sharing Platter was given to us, she was more interested in signing us up for some Point Collecting Card ! I then had to ask for our Shared Platter which she just forgot. After printing out the “House Voucher” we had to ask again where we would be served.

Eating the Platter in the Cotton Loung was a bit of a challenge in itself, due to the fact that the Armchair were very low and the Tables high. The Platter was ok, but we have a Marco Pierre White Restaurant in this Hotel, I was expecting a little bit better. The “rustic breads” was soggy, the “Spanish meat” was fatty, the “Mozzarella” was just a white Blob of something tasteless with 3 olives on the side.

The Room was tiny, no room to swing a cat !
In case you ever think of staying in this Hotel and they offer you Room 214, don’t stay there. The “Computer Desk” wasn’t useable due to the Armchair with Foot Stool which was about 3 inch away. To get into the Bed, small People need a Ladder, and then you sunk into it and couldn’t get out again, far to soft for my liking. The complimentary (free) Minibar was filled with 2 Water, 2 Beer, 2 Soft Drink, 1 Bar of Chocolate, 1 Pack of Crisps. The indirect Bathroom Light needs fixing, the Soap / Showergel / Lotion smells horrid, the Towel were nice and fluffy. The Floor in our Room was dark laminate which looked more then dirty and streaky, whoever mopped the floor wasn’t trained very well.

The Breakfast was something out of this world which I have never ever seen before. You had to wait to be seated, at the Hot Breakfast were not Plates, Waiter were walking everywhere and trying to clean Tables, you had to stand in line and still people were forcing themselves in front of you. And to get some Toast was the cherry on the cake….. There was this “conveyor toaster” which maybe looked nice but toasted your bread only one on side. I am not an English Man and I am not in New York… I like my Toast done on two Sides.! Stale mini Croissants, Fruit Juice out of a Carton filled into Jars, cold Hash Brown, bitter coffee, fatty Sausages, over cooked mushrooms and tomatoes, lukewarm beans and scrambled eggs ….. I could go on and on …… definitely not 4 Star.

And a quick tip for the Ladies: don’t use the Toilets, because the dirt of the Floor jumps at you.

A lot of People will probably say now that you get what you paid for, but still my opinion is: Every Guest, no matter if you pay full price or get a Discount Voucher, should be treated with Respect, Care and Attention.

All in all I had to bite my tongue quite a few times because I didn’t want to spoil our weekend in Liverpool. Next time, if we plan to go to Liverpool, I will book Hotel Base2stay again, where you get a decent room, good Reception Staff and no nonsense.

1 Thank Nat-Shel0815
Conwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stayed for a Monday night to see a concert at the Echo. Great location,hotel room ok, not huge, but well appointed. The free minibar was nice. The Marco Pierre White steakhoiuse food was pretty good, but presentation (in my view) was stark and poor. Marco certainly likes himself as there are huge pictures of him everywhere. The breakfast the next morning was poor. Typical stale, overcooked buffet. Bacon like rubber, black puddings like briquettes and only scrambled eggs - fried etc obviously too much bother. I would come back, but not to breakfast.

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2011

i purchased a deal via living social, booked via email, excellent reponse, advised me that booking system was down, so couldnt confirm booking, then emailed me back when system back up, i thought this was a really personal touch. Checking in desk, really friendly, bar staff lovely. arrived back in at 2.30 AM and had a voucher for sharing platter ( lunch platter) we didnt think we would be able to use it, but hotel manager said he would get some sandwiches made up for us, and he did, this was another lovely personal touch. Breakfast really nice lovely sausages. We where late for breakfast, and wernt made to feel awkward, really pleasent man at the breakfast checkin. The bedroom was airy, with a very comfy bed, fabulous shower, i wouldnt hesitate to book in here again, the staff make the difference , we stay in liverpool about once a month, dont normally write a review for a one night stay but staff so lovely, that they deserve positive feedback.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I booked 1 night through a deal on Travelzoo which included dinner at Marco Pierre Whites. The hotel was really nice, the room was lovely. Really comfy beds with an amazing walk in shower. The food at Marco Pierre Whites was amazing - and came out really fast.
The hotel is central so within 10 minutes in either direction you can be at the docks, the shops, Matthew Street where the famous Cavern is...Its my second time staying at Hotel Indigo and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jcreative
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Made a last minute booking with the Indigo, the service couldn't be better with attention to everything I asked and the restaurant service was just as good, The room was excellent and the facilities in the room were first class.
The only downside was although the I turned the heating in the room off, and the air con on, it was still very warm and the room windows coudn't be opened

Room Tip: Choose a room you can open a window !
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Hillsborough
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Great hotel in an ideal location in Liverpool - Rooms were lovely - but modern - the wooden floor took a bit of getting used to. Probably prefer carpet. The Bathroom was lovely - but again a bath would have been nice. Used the gym one night - and whilst it was small the equipment was excellent - with TV's on the cardio equipment made it easier to pass the time. Staff were excellent and more than helpful. Good value also.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business