“Disappointing”
Review of Blundell Street

Blundell Street
Reserve with OpenTable
Blundell Street is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #285 of 1,881 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My husband and I were greeted by a doorman who advised it was policy to check handbags. I was carrying a very small clutch bag. I don't know what contraband he thought I was trying to smuggle in!! At the bar, you can only buy house wine by the glass. I don't like house wine, so we ordered a bottle of Chardonnay instead, which wasn't great.

I ordered the chicken pate for a starter. It was served with 2 tiny pieces of cheap white baguette and the pate wasn't very good quality either.

We then waited over half an hour for the main course. I visited the ladies whilst waiting. The sinks had black mould around the rim and the base of the taps were also covered in black mould. Think they need to get some mould and mildew remover!!

The main course finally arrived. The halibut in a "prawn" butter sauce was awful. No prawns in the sauce, the whole dish was over seasoned with black pepper and the 1 carrot and 1 turnip were undercooked and tasteless.

The only positive comments I can make are the service staff were all very friendly and the singer was excellent.

Think the manager and chef need to taste the food they are serving, as the quality and taste are very disappointing :(

2  Thank Mandymoo400

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Unfriendly staff, security made me feel like I was entering a prison for a visit, checking bags and snarling us on the way out, don't know if it was because we were leaving before the act had finished but couldn't stay till the end. Staff kept asking us did we want drinks every 5 minutes even though they had just brought us over two bottles of wine for 4 people, made us feel awkward. Food was freezing, lemon cheese cake was awful, and came with no ice cream as it stated. So let down.

4  Thank Suzanne M
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Came here with my boyfriend to a tribute night. Menu is limited, so the food is quite simple but there were two choices of fish on there so we were happy. The sparkling Pinot Grigio we ordered was lovely and a good price (ended up getting 2 bottles). Fair enough the tables are quite close together, so its not a "romantic" night out but we were there to be entertained-which we were. Staff are so friendly and lovely-gave top service. We got our meals for the same price as a recent online-voucher deal and a voucher for our next visit. I'd go back again.

1  Thank amyharding
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Went as part of a group Comedy night. Little box of slop in a box - lamb stew?? Veggie option just some very overstepped veg in a thick sticky gravy. Part of the comedy night was very funny and part just painful. Couldn't wait to get out.
1st act, from Malawi was hilarious, 2nd - ex GP from Bangladesh self proclaimed gay really needs to go back to his true profession - had a vicious chip on his shoulder and was not at all funny. 3rd act mixed - best when he actually played his guitar. So combined with the dodgey red wine served on arrival gives it a 2/10. Definitely to be avoided. May be better depending on the acts but the food .......??? Others have already said it. Not going back.

3  Thank Alan P
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Wow! I had an absolute blast here. Started with a cocktail and had a great 3 course dinner, so much better than i expected. Honestly, pate was smooth and tasty, the tarrogan chicken had loads of fresh herbs and the best was saved to last.... the dessert, it was DELICIOUS, a gorgeous 3 chocolate mousse. Just when I thought we had had a brill night, chatting and catching up over a great meal the music kicked. Live amamzing singer and then a bopping disco! The DJ packed the dancefloor, what a hoot!! LOVE it. You should go, go right now, its BOSSS!

Ann D, Owner at Blundell Street, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thanks for your lovely review and glad you had a great time ! Regards Ann