“Ok- not as good as it used to be” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Almond Restaurant & Bar

Almond Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #182 of 1,651 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Local, simple, honest food
“Ok- not as good as it used to be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

We live around 5 minutes away from the almond so eat her quite often. However I'll be giving it a miss in future. We both ordered burgers last time and there was some uncooked pink bits in the middle the chips were also greasy and needed browning a bit more which was a shame as the chips are usually really nice. Have had nicer meals in the local pub for less than half the price.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Charl8889

Liverpool
“Good food, but let down by little things.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

This was our second trip to Almonds, and we were returning after enjoying the lamb shank living social offer from last time.
Our guest was over from Australia and after raving about the place to her, I left slightly disappointed. We all ordered the black pudding and scallops, as we had especially loved this last time and although perfectly cooked it had a balsamic drizzle missing that had made it even better last time. Two of us ordered the lamb shank and were recommended to have some side veg to go with it and as I'm not that bothered just got one between us. The mains arrived and I sat enjoying my melt in the mouth lamb and was nearly finished when I noticed our guest looking puzzled at the lack of recommended side veg. We got the waitresses attention and she was very apologetic and after 5mins arrived with a small dish with 4 wilted asparagus stalks one of which was an end piece, some similarly wilted green beans and some peas. We are what was edible, but at £2.95 and arriving after we had finished our main, I think is rather pricey and should have been given complimentary.
Other niggles are having only tiny paper napkins on the table when the food is of a high quality and costing £7 for starter and £15 for main is not really acceptable. Also people smoking outside the door and it wafting in spoils things slightly.
I will be returning as think the food is great, just think the little things could be improved on.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Little gem of a restraunt”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

I have been eating here since the restraunt first opened and every time has been delicious!!!lovely staff,great value and local,what more could you want.this place is also great for large parties and still the standard is extremely high,planning my next visit :-)

• Visited July 2013
Sutton, St Helens, United Kingdom
“Great yet again... New menu is fab!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We've eaten here twice before, on the previous incarnation of the menu, which was excellent. Having saw the new menu we decided to visit again, and as with every visit before, it was great, the food was absolutely lovely, the staff we very welcoming, the place itself is still lovely inside, only problem is the lock on the gents toilet was broke, other than that it was another fantastic meal me and the mrs ate, the new menu is really interesting and I look forward to trying a few more dishes from it...

Visited September 2013
“Fantastic value... Highly recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I have viewed Tripadvisor religiously for years, but regrettably, not yet written a review.
I have signed up specifically to contribute, having been somewhat surprised when I googled to get the email address for this restaurant and saw the latest review (dated 14th August) at the top of the search.

It is, I feel, quite vague and misleading, and as I had recommended this restaurant a lot recently to friends and work colleagues, I felt I had to give a more balanced, accurate and genuine account of my recent visits to this hidden gem.

I booked on recommendation from family members, for the early evening deal on Tuesday 25th June for my son's birthday.
£12.95 for 2 courses.

We were a mixed group of 15, ranging from 4 to 60 years old, and at least half of our party eat out every week in a wide range of restaurants and enjoy our food and drink and the whole experience of dining out.

First impressions- small, very busy tasteful interior, good location, and an almost cosmopolitan vibe.
(great toilets too-I tend to judge a place by its toilets!)

Slight increase in our party number was no problem at all for the staff, who were attentive and accommodating all evening, which was a task with so many of us, and they also offered off-menu alternatives for the 2 fussy little ones!

Excellent varied choice, but not too overwhelming, with something for everyone.

I ordered goats cheese salad with roasted beetroot, pine nut and balsamic to start.
Very generous, perfectly matched flavours, possibly one of the best first courses I have had in a long time.
Clean plate...
For main, I had baked cod with mashed potato, spring onion, spinach and pea.
Again a substantial filling portion with a light tasty sauce.
Clean plate...

A few ordered the fish and chips and were a bit taken aback at the whale-sized fish they had landed!
The teenagers opted for various homemade mouthwatering looking burgers, made to order, and there were comments of "best they had eaten" amazing chunky style chips which, from the couple I pinched off the children's plates, seemed to melt in the mouth.
Clean plates...all round!
Various additional side orders added to the table, the usual, garlic bread, onion rings, and everything washed down with several bottles of the house wine- roughly about £14 a bottle-again very reasonably priced (soft drinks and fruit cocktails for the little ones)

I don't recall anyone having dessert, as everyone said they were too full, but then the staff brought in a chocolate birthday cake with lit candles for my son, and everyone managed to force in a piece of that, rounding off an excellent evening!

Been back a couple of times since and going to try the sunday lunch in 2 weeks.
Always busy, good atmosphere, friendly staff, who look like they work hard.
My only complaint would be that its not closer to where I live!

• Visited June 2013