“Too keen on receiving feedback and do they actually trust their guests?”
Review of The Liner Hotel

The Liner Hotel
Ranked #23 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We arrived at 4:30 p.m. on a Sunday and were pleased to see that car park is free if you stay there. You can even leave the car for a bit after checking out as reception will provide you with an exit token that is not timed.

Check-in took longer than expected because the room was not ready: reception staff explained that they were running behind and she had to arrange for towels for our room first. This was unexpected as booking.com states that you can check in from 2 p.m.. Anyway, it gave us time to stare at their plea for feedback on Trip Advisor on the check-in desk.

Some marketing information in the lift indicated why they might have been behind: the hotel offers late checkout up to 2 p.m. on Sundays for an extra £20 and probably more people than expected took up this offer. Shouldn't offer this if they then have problems fitting new arrivals in!

Room did have towels after all and even two pairs of bath slippers and one bathrobe. Why only one bathrobe, if they had two people checking in for the room? There was also a note that they will charge you if you take the bathrobe home, so we hope we don't find a late charge in a few days for a bathrobe that wasn't in the room in the first place ;-) Next warning message: if you only remove an items from the minibar you will be charged for it, even if you do not consume it (for example if you wanted to check items out in details and then change your mind). We did not even dare touch the door. Do they realise that they are sending messages of distrust?: Pre-authorise credit card at check-in, charge warnings for bathrobe and minibar...what next? Surcharge when biscuit crumbs are found on the carpet?

The minibar is illuminated and has a glass door, so if you don't want the backlight providing a glow in the dark throughout the night, you need to hang something over it.

Tasty cupcakes and biscuits are provided and a good selection of tea/coffee.

WiFi did not work in our room. The guest information explains that availability if WiFi may depend on your equipment, the location of the room in the hotel etc. which is obvious, however why bother to advertise it as available in the room, if you cannot even get it on floor 4 (out of 6 floors) when you are only 2-3 rooms from the lift (=central position)? And if I see the network strength fluctuate between 0 and 5 on a scale of 5 on my laptop, I think it's their equipment. There is also a business centre on the 1st floor, free of charge, which we considered: only 2 PCs though and one was in use, the other one did not even work.

Bathroom overall OK, minor points: bin had a broken lid and needed replacing, orange-grey residue in the grout between tiles in the shower (not properly cleaned after several previous guests), one broken lightbulb and the plug in the bathtub didn't close tightly, so we had to keep topping up the water for a bath.

Very pleased with the king-size bed, comfortable with plenty of pillows. Our room was facing away from the tracks at Lime Street station and it was certainly quiet at night.

We used the hotel restaurant which was good value for money, particularly their pre-theatre meal. Service was quick and friendly. We did not bother with the bar although you can also eat there: rather dark, so it would be difficult just to see the food on the plate.

When I checked my emails in the morning, I found I had already been sent an email asking for a review on Trip Advisor. Hello...? I had not even had my breakfast or left the hotel. It would have been more pleasant to received this *after* my stay.

Breakfast in the morning was good, too, they even provide ham/salami/cheese if you don't want the English breakfast. Hot items were topped up regularly on the buffet and staff were efficient and friendly.

Overall I don't think the hotel needs renovation as some people here have suggested and at £70 incl. breakfast it was very good value for money and I'd be happy to stay there again.

My suggestion to the hotel: sort out the minor annoyances, forget about the bathrobe and the slippers (no point, there is no pool/wellness centre) and don't offer late checkouts if you cannot check the new arrivals in without hiccups. If you put the energy spent on begging for feedback into getting things right, you will find that positive feedback will follow without having to ask for it!

Room Tip: try a room on a lower floor - maybe you'll even find working WiFi on your room?
1  Thank Kerstin M
LHLManager, Director of Sales at The Liner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear lobster1968,
Thank you for commenting on the Liner hotel we were pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. With regards to your comments about sign at the Reception desk asking for feedback, this is official TripAdvisor merchandise which the majority of hotels display. Further to your comments about the mini bar and the sign warning about removing items will lead to a charge, this is there because the mini bar is computerised and once an item is removed this gets automatically added to your account. The email you received in the morning asking how your stay was is an automated email; we like to ask our guests how there stay was so we can continuously improve our services.
We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Being a spouse exile I''ve stayed in various hotels over the years and The Liners by far the best. Rooms very comfortable, breakfast varied, coffee great and evening meal worth every penny. Staff extremely helpful and prices, when booked onthe web, very competitive. I would recommend this hotel to anyone planning a visit to Liverpool

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank EUNICE S
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just returned for a weekend away in Liverpool. Spent 2 nights at this hotel. Would def recommend and would def stay again when I am back in Liverpool. Location is fantastic, 5 mins walk and your are in the town centre. Hotel is right next to Lime Street Station, we travelled by car and parked in the hotels car park, which is free to guests. Staff are very friendly. Rooms are as described on the internet. Very clean and comfortable. Breakfast is buffet, style, plenty of choice for continental and cooked option. We ate in the hotel on the first night of our stay and the pre-theatre deal in the restaurant is fantastic value for money. The food was also delicious. We were also able to leave the car in the hotel car park until we were ready to leave.

1  Thank dtae16
LHLManager, Director of Sales at The Liner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear dtae16,
Thank you very much for your comments we are extremely pleased when guests take time out to review our hotel. Feedback like yours is used to help and improve the service we provide.
Thank you once again and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed for a weekend and found the hotel quite pleasant. Rooms ok, clean. Not the most modern , and wifi did not work. Good restaurant , not so many choises.
Alright bar.
The hotel is very central, with short distances to shopping and several tourist attractions like albert dockand cavern club.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pjenker

Dear Pjenker,
Thank you very much for your review. Feedback is very important to the hotel and we appreciate guest comments. We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Have stayed in this hotel a couple of times now, The last visit was 1 night on 16th Nov 2012. Hotel is very clean, rooms are very clean & comfortable, Staff are very friendly, Car parking is secure & FREE. Breakfast menu is very good with a vast veriety to choose from. 5 minute walk to city centre pubs & clubs & Liverpool 1 shopping centre. 10 minute walk to the famous Beatles Cavern Club. What more do you want for a great night out or weekend away. Will defo use this hotel again A+

Frazer Charman

1  Thank Frazer F

Dear Frazer F,
Thank you for leaving such a positive review. I am thrilled you had such a good experience at The Liner Hotel.
We are very fortunate on the location of the hotel and the fact we have our own car park, something that is very rare in the Liverpool city centre area.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Just returned from an overnite stay at this hotel... Very disappointed at our booking in experiance, We had a 4 hour journey to get there. My husband and son went to the liverpool game and i went to a couple of shops for xmas shopping. I had arranged just to get my family back at the hotel. Because of length of journey etc i was in a lot of pain and needed to get back to the hotel, book in then get to my room to take my medication and a rest before dinner as i am disabled . Quiet easy i thot....no way.Totally diappointed and angry at the response i got when the girl at reception asked me for a credit/debit card as they needed that incase You had a bill to pay at the end of your stay or damages obviously . Unfortunatly we do not carry our cards and i explained that to the girl but all i got was "Its company policy, Its company policy" I explained that i only carry cash on occasions like this I was told again "Its company policy". By this time i was so angry and desperate to get into my room. I told the girl that there was nothing on our paperwork printed after booking on internet to say you needed i.d. I said to the girl so that means i cannot book into the room and that i would have to go and book another hotel she said "yes as its company policy". I walked away in disgust. By time my husband came i was in tears. THANKFULLY he had his driving licence with him and this was adequate form of ID this was then taken of him and he would get it back when leaving, OMG what a hastle. In all the hotels we have been to in all the years I have never come across anything like this usually if you say that you pay cash as you go along that is enough here and abroad. I just do not want anybody else to go threw what i experianced. The hotel is nice,clean,central for shops, pubs, albert docks etc. Rooms are quite compact but fine for an overnight stay. Beds a bit on small side for my husband he about fell out when turning in bed and also NO IRON in room. Food at night was ok but nothing startling, chips were cold and the ceaser salad isthe worse i have seen yet, bad for £10.50. I was looking forward to fish n chips, the girl took our order then come back to me and say "sorry no fish" at 7pm on a saturday night, unusual as they were not at all busy. Breakfast was the best, plenty choice, served hot, PLEASE BEWARE AND TAKE A CREDIT CARD/ID with you

Room Tip: Room 452 looked out on front of hotel which you could see over liverpoool!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear annieFife,
On behalf of the Management I apologise for your disappointing stay with us.
With regards to your comments about our Reception team asking for a pre autherisation on credit or debit card on check in, this is something that the majority of hotels ask for as its a standard policy for the hotel. If guests don't have any cards we simply ask for ID for a security measure. I will make sure to share and address all your remarks with our Team.
Once again I am very sorry for your inconvenience.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

This hotel is an absolute gem!! Visited Liverpool for the weekend fo the first time, so we wanted a hotel that was central yet close to transport links. This hotel is in such a good location, a short walk from Liverpool Lime Street Station and to the town centre itself. The staff were wonderfully attentive to our needs; we were especially grateful for the service of being able to leave our bags in a secure location in the lobby after we had checked out so we could enjoy the rest of our day without carting luggage around. The room itself was lovely, a decent size and had everything we needed. There is an ironing room available, which saves you bringing any travel irons or having to wear wrinkled clothes. The decor of the hotel is obviously based on a ship, which just adds to the whole experience.

The breakfast is BRILLIANT!! I could go there again just for the breakfast. It is a self serve buffet style, but there is such an amazing choice, which is constantly replenished with freshly cooked, hot food. As you can go up as much as you like, it really sets you up for the day.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple