Campanile Liverpool
$84
$70
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
The Nadler Liverpool(Liverpool)(Great Value!)
$52
Staybridge.com
Aloft Liverpool(Liverpool)
$77
  • Restaurant
Heywood House Hotel(Liverpool)(Great Value!)
$67
$47
Agoda.com
1,089 results
All reviewsqueens dockecho arenafree car parkrooms are basicminute walktea making facilitieswould stay againfull english breakfaststaff on receptionbed was very comfortableexcellent value for moneytea and coffeestayed here for one nighthairdryermerseywaterfront
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Context of the review:

Purpose of visit to Liverpool - weekend with friends in city centre
Length of stay - 2 nights
When - Late April 2013
Ages of occupants - 25 to 50

I will be frank, prior to visiting Liverpool we were seeing this hotel as a place to lay our head. My confidence in the venue was such that I felt I needed to ring ahead to confirm towels were provided. We were NOT disappointed - a common theme of my stay. Pros and Cons are as follows:

Pros of hotel

1.) Location to city centre - faultless. Short walk to shops/nightlife/docks.
2.) Hairdryer provided (fixed to the wall). Would say though, that anyone with hair longer Wayne Rooney better do some training before visiting, as it could not be 'switched on' in the conventional sense. Rather the on button had to be permanently held in place for the duration of use. A small point but cramp could set in before you had finished.
3.) Relatively comfortable bed. Had 2 reasonable nights of sleep (would qualify only due to circumstances outside of the hotels control - see later).
4.) General amenities in room equivalent to a 3*. Tea making facilities (rationed to one brew each per day), hairdryer as mentioned, flat screen TV and a fixed bottle opener (attached via screws to the wardrobe). I feel I need to comment further on the latter. I am no Christopher Columbus but I would say I have stayed in my fair share of hotels in Europe and the Campanile is the only hotel I have ever stayed in with this feature. I saw it and thought of one word - innovation. Tech companies pride themselves on their vision and being first to the market with practical gadgetry - has the Campanile done anything different? We can confidently say, this simple idea was more beneficial to the group in the 48 hours we were there than any 1/2" thick white laptop could have been. Perhaps needs to be drawn out more in the hotel's marketing literature.
5.) Room was well serviced. Not only were towels provided, they were replaced daily.
6.) A decent shower. Too many times I have stayed at hotels where your temperature options are Freshwater Lake in December or freshly boiled kettle. Not the Campanile - idiot proof. Also clean given the bathroom suite's estimated age.
7.) Key card locking system in rooms and access to hotel at night. Decent security. Will comment more on this later.
8.) I have read a couple of reviews where people were upset with reception's manner - all comments were unfounded based on our stay. Friendly and welcoming.

Cons
1.) Some aspects of the rooms were a bit dated. Money has been spent on communal areas (bar, veranda overlooking dock & connecting corridors) without question. The lighting fixtures though, could be compared to say M.Koewn in his playing days. Reliable, but you don't want to share a room.
2.) There were doors slamming in the morning - disturbed my, up until then, decent slumber. I should point out that the noise was more than what would have been generated from the door's self-close mechanism (good security feature). Not the hotel's fault as such, and hasn't impacted my rating, but perhaps a flavour of the guests frequenting at a weekend.
3.) As mentioned the bed was generally pretty good. That said, the light switch on headboard is not ideally placed. I rolled over, inadvertently switched it on, temporarily hurt my head and woke up the person I was sharing the comfortable twin room with.
4.) There is one plug in the room we stayed in, located at floor level by the main door. This is a problem if you have say 2 phones between you, or if you're a businessman wanting to set up to spend the evening working.
5.) There was a startling amount of advertising in our standard twin room for the hotel's breakfast. Including the bathroom - the last place I personally want to think of food! Could be toned down, we acknowledged soon after entering we could 'indulge ourself' if we wanted. I should also point out the small price differential between a "continental" and full English breakfast - your hand was literally forced to the unhealthier option of the two.
6.) The views from hotel have been complimented, deservedly so, if you are facing the docks. We were facing a coach park.
7.) I have complimented the security at the hotel and that all still stands. However, I must comment on an event on our last night. We had a couple of drinks and returned to the hotel in the small hours. My friend went 5mins ahead and left the door off the latch as he got ready for bed. In that short time another occupant walked in the room, clearly intoxicated and carrying enough fast food to feed a small family, stopped processed that he was in the wrong room and left without saying a word. Again, not the hotel's fault but this incident tells its own story and emphasises the importance of vigilance during your stay.

All in all if you manage your own expectations before arriving here you will be happy. We did and we will definitely be returning. We have read Campanile reviews of people wanting a romantic break in Liverpool in a hotel that 'will go the extra mile' and then writing a damning review when things aren't what they expected. We could maybe be equally critical of their research. This hotel is advertised as a 2* but realistically it must tick the majority of boxes for a 3*.

Recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank crisp10
Laurence W, General Manager at Campanile Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

I'm flattered to read such kind words. Thank you for taking your time to write such a review and hope we will be seeing you again soon at Campanile Liverpool.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had a double bedroom looking out over the docks £35 per night.A steady 20 minute walk from liverpool Lime street rail station.The staff were very helpfull, the room was clean but a little small,bathroom small.Didnt have Breakfast went to albert dock only £5 for a full english.Macodnalds, KFC just over the road and a Casino next to the hotel. There is free a car park. Would stay again if in liverpool.

Room Tip: ask for a bedroom looking out over the docks.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank markjaynebriggs
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had a twin bed room for £50 for the night. booked at short notice. 15 minute walk from Lime Street train station through streets of interesting architecture, and dock side of Alber Dock. Would have been a 5 minute taxi ride.
The hotel is along side the Queens Dock and the main road. Macodnalds, KFC and an atmospheric pub are nearby.
The staff were great, the room comfortable and clean. There is a restaurant but we did not use it - no time. Breakfast was £6 to £8.
The cathedrals and universities were a short walk away. There is a car park.
Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Apart from KFC and Macodnalds there is not much to offer to eat nearby, so plan meals carefully if needed.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Laurence W, General Manager at Campanile Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you for taking time to write your kind words. I'm glad the Campanile Liverpool forfilled all your requirements.

Kind regards,
L.Whittle

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Good location. Lovely views of the docks. Easy walking distance to tourist attractions and shopping. Noises from Casino patrons next door were a bit of a nuisance in the middle of the night. No lifts available so not accommodating for anyone with a disability, elderly or just with heavy luggage. We were told we should have asked for disability services but wouldn't you expect a lift in a hotel with a 1st and 2nd floor?? This is not mentioned on website.

Room Tip: Ask for Quay side rooms with a view. No lifts so if you have any problems carrying your luggage up flights of stairs ask for a ground floor room!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Helen_050_13
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Very clean central loacation hotel.
Was a bit worried about staying here when reading the other reports but we did not have any noise in the corridors very good nights sleep would recomend this hotel and if we go to Liverpool would look to stay here again good value for money. Breakfast was limited as only one meat for continental breakfast but that is our only one complaint.
Staff was really friendly and helpfull recomended where to eat in the evening and then remembered the following day and asked if we had found it. Nothing was to much trouble asked for extra pillows and they were in our room when we got back.

Room Tip: Ask for room on dock side as is quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tony M
Laurence W, General Manager at Campanile Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Fantastic news that you enjoyed your stay here at Campanile Liverpool. I'm glad the staff gave you all the information you required and hope you enjoyed yourselves when visiting the city. Hopefully we will be welcoming you back again when you are revisiting the area.

Kind regards,