“Steve Gerrard......Gerrard”

Ranked #42 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Indian Wells, California
“Steve Gerrard......Gerrard”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This was my third game to Anfield ( Liverpool 1- S'hampton 0) , with my first time getting to see Stevie G play ( was injured last two games). And, the best spot in Liverpool is the Marriott City Centre. It's now like home ( second visit) as the staff are very accommodating, and the location couldn't be better. The rooms are also updated and spotless! I'm already looking forward to a return visit!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Thai first
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Was to stay at this property for two nights but left after one night of poor sleep. There was a prom event and it was really loud. The room was OK - small but adequate. The floor I was on had a old carpet smell - not too surprising as the carpet was well worn and had spilled food stains. The breakfast was adequate but a bit thrown together. I am a Platinum Member at Marriott and would have to say this property was not up to the usual standard. Will have to say the staff were excellent and trying to do their best. Hotel management need to invest on improving the hotel infrastructure.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nigel G
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I am from the city and love going back there. Whenever I can, I stay at the Marriott. The staff are very warm and welcoming, the location is great. Only negative is that the last time we stayed, the room was in need of some maintenance, knobs falling off draws etc! Didn't spoil our stay though.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Our room included breakfast in the rate which was not the case by the time we checked in. This had to be sorted by proving with an email on my phone account that breakfast was included in the rate we paid. The rooms are clean but not modern. The decor of the rooms is dated and a bit mis match. The beds are very comfortable though. Also the room became quite stuffy as there was no air conditioning. At breakfast my girlfriend toasted some bread which we noticed was found to have mould on it. A big let down really as you wouldnt expect this at a B&B never mind a supposedly 4 star hotel. To sum it up its not a bad hotel but there are better, more modern hotels in the city centre for the same price and can even be less expensive (try Malmaison). The location is excellent but there are other hotels (62 castle st, Hilton) that are more modern for the same price and with just as good a location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I'm actually staying here now and am quite amazed at the fact that this place can call itself a Marriott and a hotel. It's really a disco with roomd at weekends and if you want to sleep you can forget about it. I cant sleep due to the noise and the staff can of course do nothing about it. The hotel's function room plays extremely loud music that can be heard in the rooms as if a radio is on loudly in your room. The hotel's sound insulation is completely inadequate. Thr loud beat music finishes at 130 but of course the guests don't go home so Im looking at 2 O Clock before I'll get to sleep (I hope). So if you want a stag or hen weekend maybe this is OK if you come back very late, or go to the party yourself. If you are traveling with your family and you want to use the hotel for sleeping then stay well clear. I'm a Marriott regular. I'll be checking into the Crowne Plaza in the morning and complaining to Marriott that they lend this place it's brand.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Domirwin
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Situated in the heart of the city centre, a short walk from lime street train station, the Marriott is perfect for someone looking for a city break with some added comfort. Didnt use the fitness centre but used the swimming pool and had no complaints with the facilities. The rooms were in excellent condition and as expected considering cost. Staff helpful and friendly. Breakfast room slightly too small to cater for the amount of people staying at the hotel, long queues built up to be seated and at the food stations to be served.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Unfortunately I have to say that my experience from start to finish was so appalingly bad that I'm almost at a loss for where to start...

I guess the beginning is the best place, and for me this was before I even arrived.
I was staying here as a part of a large group, it was a friends hen weekend, and her mum had booked several rooms for both 1 and 2 night stays.

I wanted to confirm check in times, and possible early check in options, so after getting the booking reference for our group I called the number on their website and asked about these.
I knew we needed to be elsewhere in Liverpool for 2pm, so on finding out that check in was 3pm I asked if I could leave my name to request an early check in.
I then gave my email address, as the lady offered to send me the full info through.
Just off hand she then mentioned that we were all booked in for double rooms - not the twins we were expecting.
I queried this, but was told no - there were no twins left and all the rooms were definitely doubles, but would I prefer to have a room of my own? I said I wouldn't want to share a bed, but OK - fair enough, I'd flag this up with the organiser of our booking.

I then received an email from Marriot, who had changed the booking into my name, and sent me the bill for a double room of my own - £198 for the 1 night, which was double what I was expecting to pay as we were supposed to be sharing a twin at 2 per room.

I called straight back and told them to put everything back as it had been - I hadn't wanted them to change the booking, and just wanted to confirm check in times, and put my name down for an early check in.
After sorting this out, I sent a message to the organiser of our group, telling them what had happened and suggesting they check the twin rooms issue with the hotel.

Fast forward to the day of our stay, and half way to the hotel I receive a message from my roomie to say that the hotel had cancelled 2 of our rooms, and subsequently we didn't have enough beds for our group.

On arrival this was confirmed - the organiser had called up to check the booking, and had on 2 seperate occasions discovered that they had our May booking down as March (even in May!)
and had then discovered on arrival the 2 room references that she had given on her last call to check that it was all ok, had been cancelled.
The hotel was at this point totally full, and we were left without enough rooms for our party.
We had no choice but to leave bags with the concierge, and go out to our activity, and then dinner.

We returned to the hotel at approx. 6-7pm that evening, to find that they had made 1 more room available for 1 night, but that we were still 1 rooms/2 beds short for the night.
Although actually we were very short of beds, because we all ended up in double beds, not the twins we had booked - meaning that we were all sharing double beds, not the twins we expected, and I had to share a bed for the night with someone I'd only met once before.

The only suggestion the hotel could come up with was to provide fold up in 2 of the rooms to cover the shortfall.

The room my bedfellow for the night and I had to share wasn't great, expecially bearing in mind that we were paying £198 for the privilidge of 1 night of sharing a bed.
The bedding was ripped, the tiles in the bathroom were cracked, the carpet was dirty and stained, the decor was tired and dated, there was no hairdrier (had to call down and request one), the room was boiling hot, the air conditioning was blowing out hot, and the window was locked.

I called down to reception to ask for someone to come and sort the window out, and a while later a man came, tried to open it, but couldn't because it was locked.
He then went to get a key, and came back and tried again - but it still wouldn't open because the lock was broken.
So we ended up with a massive floor fan, which although powerful was also quite noisy.

It was too late to go anywhere else at this point, so we got ready and met our friends in the bar.
It was at this point that we were told that in one of the rooms our friends had discovered a pool of vomit on the floor, which calls into question when it was cleaned last, if at all!
The room stank of it apparently, but there were no other rooms available so they had to getit cleaned, but put up with the stench as there was nothing that could be done about that.

After several complaints from several members of our party to the duty manager we were all offered 10% off the cost of our stay, the people on roll out beds and in the vomit room stayed free of charge, and reception arranged for a couple of bottles of cava to be sent to the hen, but to be honest I would have rather had a clean room with enough beds.

I will never stay in a Marriot hotel again

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel