“Fantastic Stay in Liverpool”

Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel
Ranked #42 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We attended our friends wedding in Liverpool at the weekend and what a great time we had. The hotel is in a great location for the Docks and shopping. Our room was beautiful and we overlooked The Liver Building and also heard the bells toll everyday in our room from the beautiful church located just over the road. The car parking is a bit of a mystery unless you speak to the staff at the hotel itself!! The food was beautiful and the staff extremely helpful and courteous. I am a Coeliac and it is very difficult sometimes to be catered for but the staff in the hotel accommodated me no matter what.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Dear Elaine_2006

Thank you for your kind review, which is much appreciated. I am delighted that we managed to deliver well on your special dietary requirements too!
Hope to see you back at the hotel soon.

Alistair Risk

Write a ReviewReviews (2,335)

Reviewed June 5, 2012

I recently stayed for 3 weeks at the Atlantic Tower whilst studying at the University. many positive points particularly the reception staff and breakfast staff. The reception staff were very helpful on my arrival after a 17 hour flight followed by a 4 hour train journey. I arrived at about midday and was told my room wouldn't be available until 2pm. When I replied that it was likely that I would fall asleep on a sofa in the foyer (only half joking) my room was made available in 20 minutes.
I stored my bicycle in the baggage room every day and the staff were extremely helpful with this, there was only one game of "hunt the bike" on one monday morning when it's location hadn't been passed on.
The breakfasts was great although after 2 weeks I was still being asked if I was joining colleagues (No, table for one again please). Meals in the restaurant in the eveningwere not so great and quite pricey, as was the wine. Nothing horrible about the food just better value available at many local restaurants.
The dual personality.....During the week the hotel is full of Saga Tours and business guests, at the weekend it becomes a stag and hen fest. Weekends are noisy, particularly if your room is on a lower floor above the bar, as mine was. During the week the issue with the lifts which has been mentioned by other reviewers is a real pain. I couldn't work out any pattern to calling the lifts, they would go past me or stop without rhyme or reason and at times waited for 2 or (on one occassion) 3 lifts before there was rom to get in.
The room was lovely, great view of the Liver Building and the River Mersey . The only real complaint was with housekeeping. I had been in the hotel for 8 nights before I had my sheets changed and then only because I got back early one afternoon and my room was being made up so I asked. I was told that sheets are normally changed every 2 to 3 days, but despite requests at reception my sheets were not changed for the rest of my stay.I certainly change my bedding more frequently at home and was very disappointed with this.
I would stay again for a short break but not for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor facing the river.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear LizzieFSeria

Thank you for your honest review, which is much appreciated. I am pleased that on the whole the stay was a positive experience, particularly with the duration of it. I had become used to seeing you each day on your bike! All credit to you as I know it was an uphill challenge at the start of each day for you. I appreciate your comments regarding the change in business mix, however, I am concerned about the points you made regarding the changing of your sheets, and will take this up directly with our Housekeeping Manager.
Thanks again for the feedback, and hope to see you back in Liverpool soon,

Reviewed June 1, 2012

Another week-end away with our friends, and very happy with the location of this Hotel. Within minutes of the waterfront and into the pubs and bars. Secure car park at the side of the Hotel. The rooms are very comfortable. The bar area overlooks the Mersey and we had a fabulous sunset to look at whilst having our drinks. Smashing breakfast. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank JanMEngland

Dear JanMEngland,

Thank you for your very kind review, and I am delighted to note you had such a good stay! When the weather is right the terrace can be a fantastic spot! Thanks for spreading the word online.

Alistair

Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for one night in April. Hotel has a great location (only problem is parking isn't very well signposted) but its within walking distance of both the town centre and the Albert dock. Our room was clean, comfortable and a good size, our breakfast was really nice and we had a complimentary bottle of wine thrown in on arrival which was great value for money. Really nice view from the bar too. Would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank BlueCrocus

Dear BlueCrocus ,

We appreciate your kind comments, and hope to see you back at the Atlantic Tower soon,

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Well located by the famous Liver Building and good views of the river, we enjoyed a very comfortable stay here to celebrate my 70th birthday.

Our room was on the top floor with a view across the river, although we did pay extra for this room.

Two minor irritations:

Firstly, we have a late afternoon drink in the lounge area at around 5 pm and when we came down to dinner about 2 hours later the table had not been cleared despite there being few people around using the lounge.

Secondly: at dinner I ordered the mixed grill from the menu and was told that this did not include chips and that these should be ordered separately.

This is a first for me. I think the hotel should include these even if the cost is increased by the amount of the side order. The waiter said that others had been surprised by the omission of chips in a mixed grill.

The staff at the hotel were both helpful and friendly and had the famous Liverpool wit and sense of humour, very refreshing.

We would certainly use this hotel in future.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Dear SpeedyTravellers,

Thanks for your feedback and I am pleased that overall you had a good experience.
The point you made regarding the mixed grill is one we have picked up, and I have ensured that this is communicated at point of order. We have fed the issue back to our Food and Beverage team for change at the next menu revision, as we do appreciate your point.
Thanks again for your comments and hope to see you back at the Atlantic Tower soon.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Stayed on business for one night.
Front of hotel is above a very busy, noisy road so ask for a room at the rear if you are a light sleeper.
Reasonably priced car parking (£6 per 24 hours) available within 200 yards but you can drop your cases and then park up.
Bedroom was ok, no more than that. Felt old and tired. Hairs in bath, sink and on the bathroom floor was very poor. Grouting in need of replacement. Bedroom drawers also full of hair - yuck. Didn't feel clean as a result.
A room safe and tea/coffee making facilities very useful.
No windows that open for fresh air.
Aircon effective.
Dinner was sadly a disappointment. Bread basket was fine but 'catch of the day' hake/parsley was dry and potatoes seemed to have been on reheat for hours. Areas of the broccoli were brown/gone over. Waitress service was good but food a let down.
Breakfast similar - could do with more choice of cereals and yoghurts - have had far better fare in other chains for similar money.
Location is very good - easy access to Dock/waterfront areas and the City can be easily reached on foot. Great architecture, mixing old and new.
Seem to be geared to cater for large coach parties.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear if you are a light sleeper. Rooms at the front have views of The Mersey R...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank OutnAbout007

Dear mrsmeltysmate,

Thanks for taking the time to feedback regarding your experience. I am particularly concerned about your feedback regarding the Housekeeping standards. Rest assured your comments and one or two others recently posted on Tripadvisor are being followed up with our housekeeping team. I am confident that cleanliness is not an issue at the hotel, but there does appear to be a pattern over a few recent reviews, so please be assured I am taking the matter very seriously.
Many thanks again for your comments.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Booked hotel (top secret hotel) with last minute. Excellent location. Will stay again next visit

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Dear Mags195,

Many thanks for your kind review, which is short but sweet and very welcome too!

Look forward to seeing you back soon,

Kindest regards,