“Hotel in Liverpool”

Ranked #44 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Hotel in Liverpool”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Myself and husband spend one night at the Atlantic Tower Hotel in Chapel Street Liverpool for my birthday in February 2012. It was a very pleasant break. A very appealing hotel and nice feel to it when you walked in. We arrived at about 5 p.m. on a Friday. There was no queue and we were attended to immediately and very pleasantly, by a young lady who we understood perfectly. (Sometimes overseas accents can be hard to understand). The room was ready and very nice. I had used the winter offer and upgraded to the executive suite which cost me £85. Although very pleasant with a view of the Mersey I'm glad I hadn't paid the full price. It was all very clean, though both, large mirrors needed dusting. The bathroom was cramped and the door needed to be closed in order to get past it and to the toilet. There was plenty of storage, a TV and tea and coffee making facilities, though we didn't find them until we were leaving the next morning and then there were no cups. We bought coffee from the Vue bar at about 1.30 on the Saturday morning after a very good evening out, around Liverpool. The bar was relaxed and the coffee cost about £6 for a large pot which gave 2 large mugs of lovely coffee. We'd had a good night in a bar called Eric's on Matthew St. The band, called Xander and the Peace Pirates are usually found in the Cavern Club apparently. They are excellent, though there can be some dodgy language. A very nice birthday and I'd be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: I chose the winter break and upgraded to the executive as I wanted to ensure that there was a view o...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
ABR1, Public Relations Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post such a kind review.
I’m Glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed your time in Liverpool.
I have already spoken with the housekeeping department regarding the mirror and the missing cups so thank you for bring this to our attention.

Kind regards

Catherine Stevens
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2012

First appearances of this hotel are pretty good. The lobby is big and well decorated, although, be warned there are a few stairs to drag your bag up!. The welcome was nice and check-in was stress free with a lovely fellow called Mark or Martin (Sorry, I'm terrible with names). We were in a room on the 8th floor with a gorgeous view of the Liver building and the Mersey.

Although clean the room was small, and wreaked of smoke. I think another contributor compared it to like being in a cabin, which I would totally agree with. The bathroom was tiiiiiny but perfectly fine for one nights stay, for anyone complaining about only having one towel... the other set is in the wardrobe. In general the room was a bit old and just needed some TLC. The front had broken off the AC panel and some of the buttons were missing, there were a couple of dents and scratches in the wallpaper and the desk chair was wobbly. Overall, just needs a bit of love. There was a maintenance form to fill in, however no pen!

We went to the restaurant in the evening (we originally planned to go to the bar, however it was closed for a function, which no-one had told us!) The restaurant was well-staffed but I think they seemed to lack polishing. The table we were sat on had a dirty table cloth and no knives and the couple next to us had no knives or glasses. We ended up choosing food from the bar menu as the restaurant menu wasn't really appealing and we had a lovely bottle of malbec. the overall bill came to about £50, a little steep for a burger, spag bol and a bottle of wine.

I decided in the morning that I wanted breakfast adding to the room as I was awake and hungry, all I had to do was buy a voucher from reception (£10pp) and head on up to the restaurant. Breakfast was good, nice selection of hot food and juices. Again the staff were all lovely and Elaine, who also served us on the bar the night before, was a superstar.

So overall a very average stay, the hotel staff are lovely but the hotel itself just needs a but of TLC.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hollyjanefisher
Thanks for taking the time to post your review on line, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff lovely I have passed your comments onto Martin and Elaine. I have and can agree that are smoking floor needs some TLC as we are waiting confirmation for our owners to get this floor refurbed.

Thanks again for your comments

Kind regards

Catherine Stevens
Operations Manager
Reviewed March 2, 2012

We have just returned from a 5 night stay where we were very happy with our stay at this hotel, we had a standard double room which was amazing very large room with a beautiful view of the River where we were watching boats coming in & out very relaxing with peace and quiet, room was quiet, spacious & cleaners came in every day to tidy up and empty bins. Room very comfortable and safe with a good stock of refreshments every day, this is probably one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in whilst visiting the UK, very close to shopping amentities and restaurants and close to Albert Dock.

The hotel reception was clean, efficient and lounge area was clean and tidy.

We had many nights in the Vu Bar and thought drinks were reasonable priced and nice to relax in, again clean & comfortable, we didnt have evening dinners or breakfast in the hotel so cant comment on the food.

we havent stayed at the hotel before we hope to stay again very soon as we are very fond of Liverpool.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher levels like level 11 & 12 will offer fantastic views of the River & were...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
ABR1, General Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear John and Sarah,

Thanks so much for your lovely review! All the more pleasing from a long stay guest!

Great to read you had such a good stay, and hope to see you back in Liverpool soon,

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I stayed at the Atlantic Tower last night whilst visiting Liverpool on business. There were five of us all in separate rooms and everybody was pleased with the standard of the accommodation. My room was clean and comfortable with a fridge and tea and coffee making facilities. The shower was over the bath but other than that it was very good with multiple sprays. The hotel has parking for £6.00 per night which is very reasonable for this area. As far as the location goes, the hotel is next to Princess Dock so the is plenty to see and do if you want to go out. Dinner at the restaurant was very good and breakfast was also extremely good. Book breakfast with the room or you will be charged £15.00.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2012
Dear KevinPlymouth,

Thanks for your kind review which is very much appreciated. I am delighted that we ticked all the boxes for you and hope you will be back with us again soon.

Chester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the hotel recently and loved it! We were due to stay 2 nights but unfortunately our young son was unwell on the first nights stay so we on stayed for the Saturday evening. We arrived and were greeted with a warm welcome by " Martin" who was aware that we had not stayed the night before due to our son being unwell and took the time to ask after the welfare of our son whicj I thought was wonderful. Martin then walked my wife round to the hotels car park rather than giving directions and again the level of customer service was noted. The room was clean, spacious and warm upon arrival. We dined in the restaurant and both food and service were very good. When we checked out the following morning it was brought to our attention that the GM Alistair as a gesture of good will had invited us back for the night we had missed due to our son being unwell again this was another illustration of the hight level of customer service and satisfaction offered at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear FrancsChester,

Thank you so much for your kind review, and nice to get a personal mention! I was delighted that Martin went the extra mile and demonstrated our passion for guest care and service at a high level. I am blessed with a highly committed team who truly make every effort to put the customer at the heart of everything we do, so I am delighted that this was clearly evidenced to you. I do hope your son has now made a full recovery!

Thanks again for taking the time to spread the word online, and look forward to welcoming you back for that outstanding nights stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Stayed for just the one night only but it's on my wish list to return! The room was one of the BEST I've had for both bright/pleasantness and comfort, giving stunning views over the Liver building and estuary from an upper floor located room. Room was both warm from easily altered air conditioner (Feb stay) and modern/up to date with nice facilies ie, tea making, bathroom with shower above bath (plentiful hot water). Quick easy checkin from pleasant staff (small gripe over car park location didn't mar the stay). Well located for the Dock area which has excellent museums- it's only a short walk from the very centre of the city (and better located in my opinion.) Very large comfortable bed and quiet room made for a good nights sleep.
There is a Thistle Hotel car park (first left road past hotel entrance & then on RHS- poorly signposted thro little arched entrance SO you can miss it). It features on the hotel website (spaces are limited.). The larger Capital car park (twin storey) was £12 for 24hrs (first left THEN FIRST LEFT AGAIN) directly behind the hotel. Parking either in here or on street parking (in entrance road to side of hotel) appeared safe and well lit at night. On street parking FREE (6pm-8am) pay@ meter other times note.
If thinking of Liverpool I'd recommend this hotel anytime to anyone. Ask for a front high room if possible! You'll appreciate why my review says so!

Room Tip: Try for hotel car park.. I it's cheaper! But limited availability.
Dear travelightman,

Thank you so much for such a kind review!
It really is much appreciated and I hope to see you in Liverpool again soon.

Milton Keynes
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I travel a fair amount on business and "run of the mill" business hotels are often much of a muchness. You know pretty much what to expect. The Thistle Atlantic was, in most respects, no different. The room was fairly standard but why do these hotels give you such horrendous pillows ?! I detest these nasty cheap polyester filled pillows.....please.....at least once decent feather pillow..it really would make all the difference! My only other gripe with this hotel, and quite a serious one at that was with the sink in the bathroom. It looked as though this had a massive crack in the bottom of the sink and had been "re-enamelled" but this was peeling off (room 1010) this look quite awful and not something I have seen in really cheap nasty hotels. Note to manager - please, get someone in and replace the sink!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank newrangerfamily
Dear NewRangerFamily ,
Thanks for taking the time to post the above review!
I was sorry to hear that you had issues with the sink. I must confess that I am aware of the issue, but rest assured I am working to address the matter. Unfortunately the design of sink cannot be replaced, and therefore we either have to repair the sinks or completely replace the whole unit in the bathroom. Previous repair attempts have been effective only in the short term and I therefore am looking at the bigger project. Rest assured this is not representative of all of our bathrooms, only one or two, and I do have the matter in hand.

Thank you for taking the time to feedback and I hope you will return to the hotel in future. Please do contact me directly if that is the case and I will ensure you are allocated one of our best rooms.