“LEAKING CEILING! Terrible!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #72 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Rhos-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“LEAKING CEILING! Terrible!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

We got the hotel at a discount rate, £55, not bad for a double room in the centre of the city.

We found the hotel quickly, the building itself is grand to look at and the lobby area is lovely too.

Our room was small, or snug! With a decent sized bed. We did notice however that there had been evidence of a leak with a big gaping hole on the ceiling with the paper hanging either side. "Who would put people in a room where water leaks still?" We thought... The Adelphi apparently.

At 3am, my partner was rudely awaken by dropping water from the ceiling above. With it being so late/early we decided against alerting staff as we knew it would mean having to move on out. So we moved the bed over and used a teapot to catch the rest of the water.

The morning of our departure, we went to check out and told the lady at the reception we were unhappy. She promptly called the deputy manager.
(During our 5 minute wait, 3 or 4 people complained too about noise, doors not opening...)

When we manager came we explained the problem. Initially he said that we should of told someone but we said that we didn't want to leave our room at such a stupid hour. He then offered us a complimentary breakfast which we declined. We pressed on and asked if there was anything else he could do.
He said no, but then gave us 20% off.

It was a shame because we hoped the reviews were exaggerated but unfortunately everything you read on hear is true.

Please sort yourself Adelphi. You could be an excellent place to stay!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Forbesclicky88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,475)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

i can see in its hay day, this hotel must have been a spectacular place to stay, however, i fail to see how it got its 3 stars. I am a quality inspector and i grade self catering properties for a living.

I know hotels are a different kettle of fish to self catering apartments, but, really, at least clean the carpets if you cant replace them. On arrival, you get an immediate blow to the guts, as the exterior needs a good clean and paint. The entrance hall is ok except the stench of drains is extremely apparent. this smell did not go in the 24 hours we were there. the staff need a few courses in customer service, they might be good at there job, but there no good at interaction with the guest. the couple checking in before us were foreign and were having difficulty communicating their needs, the staff at reception, were ignoring them and rolling there eyes in our direction as if to say, " wee not interested now buggar off".
Once checked in, we went to lift, omg, how old and unsafe is this, after waiting what felt like a lifetime we used the stairs, which i am glad we did, as the stair carpet looked like the newest thing in the building. the landing carpet was disgusting, covered in old chewing gum and very very dirty. There is a constant bad smell throughout the hotel. The bedroom, well, it was okay, the sheets were clean, the bath and sink and toilet a bit grubby, the net curtains did not smell good and didnt close very well. the heating was on constantly so very very hot, there didnt seem to be a way of controlling the temperature. we were right next to the lift so all we could hear was it going up and down up and down, i spoke to a member of staff on the landing, complaining about the lift noise, the heating and asked for spare pillows as the ones we had were like pancakes, with no availo, we never heard anything again. later that night the small bar off the reception was open, how strange, recepto asked a number of times for our card details as we could nt use the card at the bar, just cash, which we though was very strange. While we had afternoon tea in the lounge, which was very expensive for what we got, a group of young men came in and sat next to us, eating fish and chips takeaway. My husband and i had paid good money to sit in there and have the afternoon tea, and we were joined by 3 thugs, swearing and stinking of fish and chips, once again we complained to a young girl who was behind the bar, and she didn't seem to know what to do, 10 minutes later a waitress advised them that they weren't allowed to eat there own food in there, they agreed and nodded and carried on regardless. There was a private function going on in the back of the rooms as we could hear people and music, an elderly gentlemen emerged from the room and walked down the steps, catching his trousers on a loose plate of metal and fell the last 3 steps and slipped across the carpet, we ran to help him, fortunately he was OK just a bit shaken, he said he was going to complain i just hope he did, that was so dangerous. we were going to have the breakfast the following morning but dare not, if the afternoon was anything o go by. We have traveled a long way to get to Liverpool and we will not being doing it again.

Room Tip: Pay an extra tenner and go somewhere half decent.
5 Thank elizabethwinfield

Travelers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Egremont, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my boyfriend for 2 nights to see the sights of Liverpool. Hotel entarence and public areas are lovely, lifts old and noisy and both working although one had apparently just been fixed! Was a bit apprehensive about the rooms after reading the reviews on here and although it was better than I expected it is in serious need of refurbishment. Requested a double bed which was 2 twin beds pushed together and made up as 2 twin beds. Not ideal for a couple as you either sleep on your own sides or fall down the middle. How a hotel of this size can't give you a double bed is beyond me! Room was clean enough but had things like handles hanging off/ missing, needed repainted desperately and the plug hole in the bath was absolutely disgusting. Didnt even want to stand near it when having a shower! Also the room was constantly red hot if the heating was on or not and it was a hell of a job to open the windows!
Clientele wise it seemed to be largely coach parties as are the reviews of here which all seemed to get a much better deal than me! Coach parties + stag do's!
Can't comment on the resturant as tried to get into cromptons on the Friday night as I could use my taste card there but they had a private party on. Didn't pay for breakfast as it was £9 each a night and you can get a full cooked breakfast in wetherspoons down the road for £3 each.
Location good, near a spoons, tesco express, taxi rank, short walk to the Albert dock. All you need in close proximity.
Although I say the hotel needs refurbishment I'm realistic the size of the job this would be and how much they'd have to increase the prices afterwards. So can't see it happening really. Shame as it really could be a grand hotel once again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank louj999
Shropshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

A double luxury room with spa. This really means two single-beds pushed together, heavily stained carpets, both inside the room and in the hall leading to the room. Five broken light-bulbs, a standard size bath with broken whirlpool jets, a broken sink, windows that were jammed shut with a teaspoon, and behind the headboard of the two single-beds - at least 1cm of dirt, dust and cobweb covering a 'Swan (Roll-Your-Own-Cigarette) Filter packet' and a used tissue.

The TV was no bigger than a standard PC monitor screen - with the batteries of the remote control held in with a plaster. When room service was ordered, we were overcharged - the attendant, who couldn’t add it up quick enough, rounded-it-up!
It's quite clear that staff are often faced with complaints because they come across as being very agitated...

To get an outside line to make a call, Reception advised to dial 9. This didn't work. Kindly, although it was clear from the way in which the call was answered, I was inconveniencing the receptionist, the first receptionist got an outside line for us using the reception phone and transferred us through to the number we needed to call. On the second occasion, again dialling 9 didn't work - so we called through to reception and an Irish chap answered - I advised what the previous receptionist had done i.e. transferred the call to the number we needed.

The Irish chap put me on-hold and came back to advise that the Reception Manager had said that the facility was now broken, and the only way to get an outside line was by coming down to reception. I contested the assertion that the facility was now broken, and the Irish chap shouted "WELL IF IT’S NOT WORKING, IT’S NOT WORKING!!!" - I asked why he raised his voice and again he shouted "WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO IF IT'S NOT WORKING!" - I replied, "OK, well thank you anyway" - he replied "Is there anything else I can help with?".....
Upon checking out (at reception), there was a problem with another guest whose online booking, as I understood it, had not been received. The receptionist (not the Irish chap) was rather rude to this guest and at one point, after the guest had said "well our bags are already over there", the receptionist sarcastically replied with "don't worry; we won't sell them on eBay".

Next time, we shall stay at the Crown Plaza and I say to management "Continue to provide a poor service", and to those rude staff I say "Continue to be rude"... Let your competitors take the business, and pat yourselves on the back when the redundancy letter eventually lands on your mat!

Room Tip: Use another hotel!
1 Thank Unhealthy_Adelphi
fareham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

This hotel is very well placed to visit central Liverpool. Please do not take too much notice of complaints , we went on a coach trip with just go holidays, and considering 12 coach loads arrived at this hotel that day i think they coped very well.What do quests expect? this is not a 5star hotel . Our room was comfortable nice and warm yes a long way to room 526 and the lifts were a problem but overall it was very good.Nice food andd friendly staff. Please think about what you have paid and remember nothing is perfect.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed at the Adelphi for two nights fri-sun. Check in was swift if not a little chaotic. Room very spacious and on the surface was very clean, when you started looking a little closer the room was shabby, needed a good vac and the bathroom was particularly grubby - the tiles needed a good scrub!

The tea and coffee in the room was plentiful, full size kettle and hair dryer which is always a bonus - drawer front was missing from a bedside chest and had just been shoved in the empty drawer which was a bit shabby.

Evening meal wasn't until 7.30pm which was a little late for us but was to an ok standard, edible, hot and a couple of choices. Cup of tea/coffee was brought by waitress after which was a nice gesture. Breakfast was buffet and was to a better standard.

I would have given 4 stars but there was a function in the main function room / seating area which not only meant there wasn't anywhere to go within the hotel other than the packed bar area or your room but it echoed and vibrated up until 1am and we were on the third floor!!!

I would revisit the hotel, I felt very safe and the location is excellent, delightful Liverpool is literally on your doorstep.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Worcester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

My wife and I, plus 4 other friends went on a National Holidays (Coaches) 5 day all in at the Adelphi and paid £99 each for the lot!!! This included breakfast, a three course evening meal, two trips out, one to The Trafford Shopping Centre, (excellent) and another to Chester.

National Holidays provided all they said they would on the brochure, including a great driver with good local knowledge and he organised a guided tourist trip for £6.00 each, again excellent value.

Now here is the but, my wife and I wouldn’t go and stay at the Adelphi again, unless they guaranteed us a room on the 1st or 2 nd floor and all the lifts worked at the same time.

I have never been to a hotel that revolves around whether any of the lifts were working! At the price we paid I’m not surprised that we were on the either the 5 or 6th floor, although one of our couples somehow ended up in the refurbished 2nd floor rooms.

On arrival only two of the three lifts were working, when two hundred people are arriving and leaving you can imagine the mayhem.

On day 3 I waited 45 minutes to get down to breakfast and ended up walking down 5 floors, not my favourite hobby and missed eating with my wife and friends. I made a complaint to reception and was told they are waiting for parts. Utter tosh, Can Lift Service Contractors exist if they have to wait for over a week for parts? I doubt it.

On day four another lift gave out, leaving only one working with people arriving and leaving. More mayhem.

In our age group, 60 to 85, walking up and down 5 or 6 floors is no joke and downright dangerous!

Apparently the Adelphi has 402 rooms refurbished, that leaves about 200 hundred stuck in the same style as a 1960’s Butlins one room chalet. Although clean and tidied every day, the rooms were just on the right side of not being a Social Security temporary accommodation. Damp walls caused the wallpaper to peel, unattached headboards caused banging throughout the night, matrasses that had seen better days, {probably back in the 60’s} and the list could go on and on, I will not mention the en suite fan exractor that screemed untill it gave up, oh there you go, I just did.

The front of house staff were very good at their job and were unflustered by the complaints. The food was edible, I’ve had worse. But the dining room team looked under pressure to perform. They were sullen and sometimes downright rude. One constantly muttered under his breath and another shouted at me because I was in his way, admittedly it was a tight squeeze between the tables, but that is the fault of the hotel by placing us ‘cheapos’ into such an inadequate place.

The last straw was when we were held in a queue because we were there 5 minutes before our allotted dinner time. My wife lost it at that insult and in no uncertain terms told reception staff that we are not children waiting in line for our school dinners. As she was a senior exec for a very large company before retiring she does not suffer fools gladly. We were allowed in.

So there you have it, you get what you pay for!

Oh and by the way, we had a great time in Liverpool, despite the Adelphi.

Room Tip: Demand a refurbished room.