Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Aachen Hotel(Liverpool)
Hanover Hotel(Liverpool)
Good 3.5/5
6,365 results
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed here with my boyfriend for 2 nights to see the sights of Liverpool. Hotel entarence and public areas are lovely, lifts old and noisy and both working although one had apparently just been fixed! Was a bit apprehensive about the rooms after reading the reviews on here and although it was better than I expected it is in serious need of refurbishment. Requested a double bed which was 2 twin beds pushed together and made up as 2 twin beds. Not ideal for a couple as you either sleep on your own sides or fall down the middle. How a hotel of this size can't give you a double bed is beyond me! Room was clean enough but had things like handles hanging off/ missing, needed repainted desperately and the plug hole in the bath was absolutely disgusting. Didnt even want to stand near it when having a shower! Also the room was constantly red hot if the heating was on or not and it was a hell of a job to open the windows!
Clientele wise it seemed to be largely coach parties as are the reviews of here which all seemed to get a much better deal than me! Coach parties + stag do's!
Can't comment on the resturant as tried to get into cromptons on the Friday night as I could use my taste card there but they had a private party on. Didn't pay for breakfast as it was £9 each a night and you can get a full cooked breakfast in wetherspoons down the road for £3 each.
Location good, near a spoons, tesco express, taxi rank, short walk to the Albert dock. All you need in close proximity.
Although I say the hotel needs refurbishment I'm realistic the size of the job this would be and how much they'd have to increase the prices afterwards. So can't see it happening really. Shame as it really could be a grand hotel once again.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank louj999
Reviewed February 10, 2013

A double luxury room with spa. This really means two single-beds pushed together, heavily stained carpets, both inside the room and in the hall leading to the room. Five broken light-bulbs, a standard size bath with broken whirlpool jets, a broken sink, windows that were jammed shut with a teaspoon, and behind the headboard of the two single-beds - at least 1cm of dirt, dust and cobweb covering a 'Swan (Roll-Your-Own-Cigarette) Filter packet' and a used tissue.

The TV was no bigger than a standard PC monitor screen - with the batteries of the remote control held in with a plaster. When room service was ordered, we were overcharged - the attendant, who couldn’t add it up quick enough, rounded-it-up!
It's quite clear that staff are often faced with complaints because they come across as being very agitated...

To get an outside line to make a call, Reception advised to dial 9. This didn't work. Kindly, although it was clear from the way in which the call was answered, I was inconveniencing the receptionist, the first receptionist got an outside line for us using the reception phone and transferred us through to the number we needed to call. On the second occasion, again dialling 9 didn't work - so we called through to reception and an Irish chap answered - I advised what the previous receptionist had done i.e. transferred the call to the number we needed.

The Irish chap put me on-hold and came back to advise that the Reception Manager had said that the facility was now broken, and the only way to get an outside line was by coming down to reception. I contested the assertion that the facility was now broken, and the Irish chap shouted "WELL IF IT’S NOT WORKING, IT’S NOT WORKING!!!" - I asked why he raised his voice and again he shouted "WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO IF IT'S NOT WORKING!" - I replied, "OK, well thank you anyway" - he replied "Is there anything else I can help with?".....
Upon checking out (at reception), there was a problem with another guest whose online booking, as I understood it, had not been received. The receptionist (not the Irish chap) was rather rude to this guest and at one point, after the guest had said "well our bags are already over there", the receptionist sarcastically replied with "don't worry; we won't sell them on eBay".

Next time, we shall stay at the Crown Plaza and I say to management "Continue to provide a poor service", and to those rude staff I say "Continue to be rude"... Let your competitors take the business, and pat yourselves on the back when the redundancy letter eventually lands on your mat!

Room Tip: Use another hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Unhealthy_Adelphi
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This hotel is very well placed to visit central Liverpool. Please do not take too much notice of complaints , we went on a coach trip with just go holidays, and considering 12 coach loads arrived at this hotel that day i think they coped very well.What do quests expect? this is not a 5star hotel . Our room was comfortable nice and warm yes a long way to room 526 and the lifts were a problem but overall it was very good.Nice food andd friendly staff. Please think about what you have paid and remember nothing is perfect.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed at the Adelphi for two nights fri-sun. Check in was swift if not a little chaotic. Room very spacious and on the surface was very clean, when you started looking a little closer the room was shabby, needed a good vac and the bathroom was particularly grubby - the tiles needed a good scrub!

The tea and coffee in the room was plentiful, full size kettle and hair dryer which is always a bonus - drawer front was missing from a bedside chest and had just been shoved in the empty drawer which was a bit shabby.

Evening meal wasn't until 7.30pm which was a little late for us but was to an ok standard, edible, hot and a couple of choices. Cup of tea/coffee was brought by waitress after which was a nice gesture. Breakfast was buffet and was to a better standard.

I would have given 4 stars but there was a function in the main function room / seating area which not only meant there wasn't anywhere to go within the hotel other than the packed bar area or your room but it echoed and vibrated up until 1am and we were on the third floor!!!

I would revisit the hotel, I felt very safe and the location is excellent, delightful Liverpool is literally on your doorstep.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2013

My wife and I, plus 4 other friends went on a National Holidays (Coaches) 5 day all in at the Adelphi and paid £99 each for the lot!!! This included breakfast, a three course evening meal, two trips out, one to The Trafford Shopping Centre, (excellent) and another to Chester.

National Holidays provided all they said they would on the brochure, including a great driver with good local knowledge and he organised a guided tourist trip for £6.00 each, again excellent value.

Now here is the but, my wife and I wouldn’t go and stay at the Adelphi again, unless they guaranteed us a room on the 1st or 2 nd floor and all the lifts worked at the same time.

I have never been to a hotel that revolves around whether any of the lifts were working! At the price we paid I’m not surprised that we were on the either the 5 or 6th floor, although one of our couples somehow ended up in the refurbished 2nd floor rooms.

On arrival only two of the three lifts were working, when two hundred people are arriving and leaving you can imagine the mayhem.

On day 3 I waited 45 minutes to get down to breakfast and ended up walking down 5 floors, not my favourite hobby and missed eating with my wife and friends. I made a complaint to reception and was told they are waiting for parts. Utter tosh, Can Lift Service Contractors exist if they have to wait for over a week for parts? I doubt it.

On day four another lift gave out, leaving only one working with people arriving and leaving. More mayhem.

In our age group, 60 to 85, walking up and down 5 or 6 floors is no joke and downright dangerous!

Apparently the Adelphi has 402 rooms refurbished, that leaves about 200 hundred stuck in the same style as a 1960’s Butlins one room chalet. Although clean and tidied every day, the rooms were just on the right side of not being a Social Security temporary accommodation. Damp walls caused the wallpaper to peel, unattached headboards caused banging throughout the night, matrasses that had seen better days, {probably back in the 60’s} and the list could go on and on, I will not mention the en suite fan exractor that screemed untill it gave up, oh there you go, I just did.

The front of house staff were very good at their job and were unflustered by the complaints. The food was edible, I’ve had worse. But the dining room team looked under pressure to perform. They were sullen and sometimes downright rude. One constantly muttered under his breath and another shouted at me because I was in his way, admittedly it was a tight squeeze between the tables, but that is the fault of the hotel by placing us ‘cheapos’ into such an inadequate place.

The last straw was when we were held in a queue because we were there 5 minutes before our allotted dinner time. My wife lost it at that insult and in no uncertain terms told reception staff that we are not children waiting in line for our school dinners. As she was a senior exec for a very large company before retiring she does not suffer fools gladly. We were allowed in.

So there you have it, you get what you pay for!

Oh and by the way, we had a great time in Liverpool, despite the Adelphi.

Room Tip: Demand a refurbished room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple