Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #74 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This is an old hotel and this becomes very apparent once you step inside, it is very dated and dare I say it, it smells a bit, and not in a good way. I spent two nights in the hotel as I was on a weekend break. My room was a single, it was a non smoking room and located right next door to the lift shafts (2 lifts). The noise level was extreme, it was like an earthquake every time the lift moved, which was all the time because there are over 400 rooms in the hotel. The staff; well some were efficient but cold like the reception staff. The bar staff were neither efficient nor friendly. The housekeeper on my floor decided to bang on my door at 8am, not exactly sure why as I hadn’t requested a wake up call and I had booked 2 nights. I had to shout at her not to come into my room as she couldn’t hear me over the roar of the lifts. The room itself was somewhat clean but very dated and very dark. I would recommend that you bring a 60watt bulb just so that you can see where your bed is. I didn’t eat in the hotel so I cannot comment on the food. As the title of this piece suggests, my biggest gripe was with the exchange rate charged by the hotel. I hadn’t actually noticed this at the reception desk when I checked in and paid the balance owed. The balance owed was £109. I paid with my Visa card but without explanation the hotel charged my card in Euro. The exchange rate on the date in question would suggest that I owed €127, however the hotel charged me €131. That’s a nice tidy profit of €4 for the hotel. It is something that all guests should be aware of especially if you are travelling from outside the UK. Please inform the hotel staff that you wish to pay in the local currency £ British Pound. Your credit card company will charge you the normal exchange rate whereas the hotel will charge you an exorbitant exchange rate.

Room Tip: Any room away from the lift shafts.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Michael O
Write a ReviewReviews (6,037)

Reviewed February 4, 2013

we booked this hotel through Edwards Coach Holidays 3days and a 99p bar

Excellent location, right in the town centre and we visited Anfield when we were staying

Dinner and breakfast was excellent, buffett style, ample food help yourself

Room Tip: higher floor the quietier
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KarlandCathJohnson
Reviewed February 4, 2013

1 Feb. off to Liverpool with National Holidays 3 days 2 nights all inclusive £99. Bargain price great weekend. Easy pick up and quick journey arrived about 1400, Have stopped before at the Adelphi and knew what to expect. A very grand hotel although getting a little jaded now, room, food and staff warm, hot an friendly in that order. Liverpool is a great place to explore loads of history, attractions and shops for the wife. I can recommend the bus tour which you could hop on and off at various locations with the tickets lasting 2 days. Lots of night life but book early on line for major venues as the sell out quick. Some very good places to eat and plenty of bars. The Wok&Go near the hotel is a great little noodle bar and very reasonable for lunch. Be warned the hotel bar is very popular all day, with it's happy hour until 1700 and with all inclusive guests getting served it sometimes took upto 15 minutes to get a drink. Although it's quite large it soon fills up. We travelled with 16 friends which made it even harder to get seats. All in all through a great weekend and looking forward to the next.

Room Tip: The lower the floor the better as the lifts get very busy. The best rooms are at the front but you w...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 3, 2013

stayed 4 nights all inclusive,last week in january,massive hotel,staff friendly,rooms,ok,abit tired,but very clean.tea and coffee facilities,plenty of storage,television.food pretty good,everything you want for breakfast,plenty of choice for dinner.bar an d entertainment good,location very good,most places of interest easy walking distance.downside,too many steps and stairs.2 flights of stairs down to restaraunt,then 4 steps to collect food,also 1 flight stairs to bar.lifts were terrible,only take 3 or 4 people,depending on weight,sometimes 20 minute wait in queu,we were on 6th floor,so had no choice to wait.i am disabled,very inconvenient.all in all,good hotel,but not for diabled people

Room Tip: get a 1st floor room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Me and my partner have just returned from a weekend at this hotel. Checkin was quick and efficient and even with the mix up over payment the staff at check out dealt with this amazingly.

The hotel is old and therefore has old lifts so the majority of the time we used the stairs this wasnt an issue for us.

The room was clean and tidy a little small for a double room but we saw this as cosy.

The location was really good slap bang in the middle of the city.

All in all I would recommend the hotel

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank lukeoconnor
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Despite being Liverpool born and bred, this was the first time I stayed in The Adelphi. I have heard many stories about the hotel being past its self-by-date, scruffy and old fashioned, so I was slightly apprehensive to what awaited us. To be fair, none of the above applied during our stay, everywhere was clean and tidy. Our room was on the fourth floor and was massive, four poster bed, en-suite bathroom, all the normal facilities, so cannot fault the room. The room, and indeed the miles of corridors had a resemblance to the hotel from The Shining, and a few people in our party were of the opinion the building is haunted. Happily the only spirits I encountered were the ones I poured down my neck!
Food was fine, quick and enjoyable, the staff were friendly and polite and the prices are reasonable. I only have two minor issues which need mentioning - the lifts are terrible, I know its an old building (100 years+) but they are unreliable, slow and refuse to work if more than three people get in. There is another lift away from the reception but it is poorly signposted. The other issue was two beggars were sat outside the main entrance asking guests for money, we reported this to the receptionist who promptly sent a very young lad out to deal with them (he must have been 16 or 17). Either have a permanent Concierge outside, or get a more older, experienced member of staff to deal with the likes of them, instead of a youngster.
Overall, well worth a trip, in its pomp the Adelphi was a very grand, ornate hotel - yes time has taken a bit of a toll on her, but she still retains some elegance.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Had a great 1 night stay, room was huge with traditional fireplace and bathroom fittings. Yes the hotel is looking tired but it is over 100 years old ! but you can feel it's history and sense how grand it was in it's hey day. In a great central location. Real value for money. It's only downside sadly was the breakfast ! Food was great it was just the 20 minutes spent standing holding your plate waiting to get to the one small area hosting the full English breakfast ! It's a busy hotel and the breakfast service area just isn't adequate. Best option take the cheap room only rate then get yourself breakfast in the city centre.

• Stayed: January 2013