“got a fine arriving after 10pm”
Review of Everton Hostel

Everton Hostel
Ranked #63 of 102 Specialty Lodging in Liverpool
Paris, France
“got a fine arriving after 10pm”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I had to pay an 15 pounds extra fee (more than the night rate!) because I arrived at 11.50pm (after 10pm), it is something I have never seen in my life and which is quite ilegal.
Moreover I had registered the time I was coming, and I was never said it would be like this.
The only shower i could find was in the lounge and the tube was full of dirty sheets so I could was myself.
The floor of the room was humid because the fridge was licking....
More than 30min walking from the city center.
A disaster

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Well, I had planned to stay in Liverpool for just one night so I just hadn't worried much about getting the best place in the city. Great mistake. Everton Hostel is far away from the train station and the neighbourhood is safe as long as you walk around it before 6pm. The rooms are not clean and in the room I stayed in, the shower wasn't working. Ok, there was a piano and a chandelier, but seriously: who cares? The place was falling into pieces! There was a noisy party on the first floor and on the next morning I didn't even dare to take my breakfast (or even the fruit, which apparently is free all day long). So please, don't go even if you're on a budget. Go and sleep on the streets.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank chinagonzalez-ar

Travelers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

All Over
Reviewed July 7, 2012

My partner and I stayed 3 nights at Everton Hostel. We were given a ride by a local we met on the train, who informed us we were staying in a "scabby dive". It was unbelievably cheap and we just needed a place to crash a few nights and rest on our backpacking trip. We stayed in room 1 at the top of the stairs, an 8 person "en suite room". The person who showed us our room and such was incredibly friendly, Darrel, I believe. When we arrived our room had a few issues: Broken fridge, electricity not working for the washing machine and just generally broken and in disrepair furniture. The shower was luke warm but the sinks scalding hot. Shower was pretty sketchy too. There were people already in the room who said there had been no electricity at all earlier. Wasn't too big of a deal though, they let us use the washer in the common area and said they would look into the fridge deal. We also didn't have any tea/coffee in our room as promised. The beds were ok, able to sleep just fine, clean sheets. Breakfast is white bread with various spreads, cereals, milk, a few yogurts, and coffee or tea. It is a good idea to have something to supplement your breakfast with. We left for most of the next day and returned to find a "fixed fridge". It appears they just spliced the cords together and taped them with packaging tape.... fire hazard? We paid so little we decided not to worry about it. When the internet wasn't working one staff member was very helpful. Overall the staff were helpful and nice, aside from one who argued with us and basically didn't believe when we were having issues. They have lockers you can get a key for free. The first key they gave us already had someone's stuff in it. We were leery of leaving our stuff in the locker after that, but nothing was stolen. We met some really great people at the hostel and it looked like many of the other rooms were much nicer, cleaner, and better put together then ours. The last issue we had was when we were leaving. The roof starting leaking onto my bed. Luckily all my stuff was off the bed but I let the same unhelpful staff member know and got a "no one has ever told me that before!" And obviously didn't believe me... Don't know if they did anything about it but hopefully they did. Overall, I would maybe stay here again in a pinch or on a budget but I would NOT stay in room 1 again.

Room Tip: Would avoid room 1, pay a little extra for a 6 bed room!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Granada, Spain
Reviewed June 22, 2012

The Scoop: Only stay as a last resort if everything else is booked up. If you do come be ready for a long commute from a bad location (20 minute walk), poor accomadations, and mediocre staff.

(No I'm not a naysayer, I've only done two reviews on Trip Advisor the other was for "The Ashfield House in Dublin, Ireland which was absolutely incredible and I only have positive things to say about that hostel).

The limited good about this hostel though (the Everton Hostel in Liverpool) was a cool beatles mural,the fact that a bus stop was right outside, and the fact that the staff is so indifferent that if you need to book an unplanned extra night they don't do enough business that it is an issue.

Example: Our second night there, was the last night in England for my group of three friends as such we partied hard (we are a group of 21 year olds who wouldnt meet up for two weeks in Spain), I had my first serious Hangover in liverpool but the one great thing is that the staff was so indifferent they didnt mind that I overslept and checked out two hours late).

Breaking it Down:

Location: Terrible (20 minute walk from Train station, 30 minutes from the heart of downtown with nightlife).

Quality of Accomodations:

Room- average (hostel standards)

Bed- average (hostel standards)

Bathroom - Worst in experience in Europe (zero water pressure, moldy spray nossel and shower, toilet took 3 flushes each time to work)-- TERRIBLE
Kitchen- Good

Staff: Less than average (one pretty indifferent, the other helpful)

We checked in and we were greeted by a rather unfriendly black man who seemed like he simply wanted to finish work an go home. We asked for advice for things to see and do an he had nothing to suggest.

We had to make our own way in Liverpool, not easy.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2012

We spent one night in the hostel (one year again, but I write this review just now), and we were absolutely satisfied with it. The room was clean, the staff was nice and helpful, we could watch the TV and use the internet :) the breakfast here was the best and biggest from all of my hostel-experience. The bathroom is correct. I can recommend this hostel to anyone for some nights during their Liverpool-trip.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Scotland
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Before we arrived at the hostel we payed the 10% deposit and were informed to pay the rest on arrival . When we arrived the card machine was not working and we did not have cash . They then sprung on us we had to pay a £100 deposit on arrival which we were never informed of .

The rooms are disgusting , cold and need upgrading . The staff were ok , but spoke little english .

The bed sheets were very dated . Our bathroom sink was not attached to the wall .

Also there was 8 of us in one room so when alot of things were plugged in , the electrics smelled like fish which clearly shows faulty wiring .

Our door was also faulty and one evening on our way out to some pubs we could not get it shut which lead to some banging . one girl went for help from the guy I assume was the manager (difficult to tell due to the casual dress code) pushed her out the way and use abbusive / fowl language towards . I find this highly disrespectfuly when the situation could have been easily fixed .

The fires in the sleeping area were also gas , which is not recommended for in sleeping areas .

I do not recommend . I also believe the building needs inspected as it is not up to standards !

Room Tip: Ask for a reciept when paying your deposit . make sure your door shuts , as this is a fire risk !
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Debbie G
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2012

overall a basic but clean, friendly and cheerful place to stay. It lived up to my expectations and was good value for money. We had the whole top floor as there were 20 of us in our group, we had access to tea, coffee etc whenever we liked. The breakfasts were again basic but there was lots of it cereal, toast, cheese, ham, yoghurts and lots and lots of fruit. The other guests were really friendly which helped make the stay very enjoyable, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends