“Good location”

Holiday Inn Liverpool City Centre
Ranked #21 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We chose the Holiday Inn for its central location and because it had parking very close by - it wasn't the cheapest hotel we found, but the location makes it worth paying a little more for as it's a manageable walk to most attractions. Parking is in the NCP car park next door and as long as you get the hotel to validate your ticket, it costs £6 per 24 hours.

All the staff that we spoke to were very pleasant, the rooms were comfortable and had all the usual facilities (nice to have a choice of firm or soft pillows). Our bedroom was a little bit too warm but you can open the window for some fresh air. Great view from the upper floor!

Breakfast was tasty and plentiful, and the view from the big windows in the restaurant was lovely, excellent for people watchers as it's right opposite Lime Street Station.

Just a few adverse points .. we were in Liverpool for a family visit and had requested adjoining rooms, but (despite having received confirmation that this had been booked) this was not the case. It wasn't a big problem, but I do feel that the promise should have been upheld (especially as ours was not a last minute booking).

Check out time is at midday and when we returned to our rooms to pick up our suitcases at a couple of minutes to 12, we found that we had automatically been locked out already, meaning that I had to return to reception. Again, not a big problem but inconvenient - surely a grace period of 5 minutes or so would be reasonable?

And finally, my main complaint is the lack of free internet (it costs £8 for 24 hours )- this is the first hotel I've come across in many years that does not have either wi-fi or cable internet and in this day and age it's something that most people would expect as part of the facilities, without having to join a reward program.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
JonathanKing, General Manager at Holiday Inn Liverpool City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Dear nemish
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us in Liverpool City Centre.
We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your time in Liverpool, complimenting our staff, location, rooms & breakfast.
I am sorry to understand your request was not honoured, I will certainly investigate the matter further. In addition, I will move forward your suggestions on improving our guest experience.
We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to Liverpool on many future occasions.
Best regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,426)

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I stayed on business for one night where our booking included a meal allowance as it was through work. The hotel rom was fine. But food wise, having stayed in Hholiday Inns before we knew that in general their food is not up too much. So on this occasion my colleague and I ‘ummed’ and ‘arr'd’ as to whether we should eat out or stay and have dinner at the hotel. Because of the inclusive allowance we decided to have dinner at the hotel which was a big mistake. The evening menu is somewhat limited and lacking in choice. When the food arrived it was not prepared correctly at all. I had a concoction of chicken breast with a tomato type sauce, even though they gave it a posh name – which I can’t quite remember. It arrived as a chicken breast that appeared to have been simply micro waved as it was a plain white colour and did not look appetising at all with a tin of heated up chopped plum tomatoes just dropped on top of it together with a few vegetables. It was for want of a better word a ‘sterile’ type meal, no delicious flavouring as such – simply very bland and did not register with the taste buds at all - I think boiled grass may have been more tasty. This put a whole downer on the trip to Liverpool. Therefore take my advice, if you are staying at this hotel I strongly recommend you eat out for your evening meal and hopefully get a much better value and more pleasantly satisfying meal for your money. On a positive note I recevied an email from the general manager as a result of me filling in a questionaire from H.I. He offered his sincere apologies and will try to rectify and improve the culinary matters in the future - although I wont hold my breath for this to happen anytime soon. As consolation he also awarded me some IHG points too, most appreciated. So because of the this I gave it three stars and not one.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
JonathanKing, General Manager at Holiday Inn Liverpool City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Miles
Thank you for your review following your recent stay.
As communicated under separate cover, I am concerned to receive your feedback regarding the quality of evening meal provided to you during your stay.
I have shared your critique with my Head Chef, who wishes to be associated with my sincere apologies, and he is working with his team to ensure a similar situation is unable to arise.
We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to stay with us and provide you with the high standards we usually pride ourselves on.
Kind regards.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

Brilliant position, good value and easy access parking right next door. Opposite Lime Street Station for those travelling by train. Walking distance to the Anglican Cathedral and the Catholic Cathedral and also to the waterfront. Pleasant bar. Good breakfast served in spacious surroundings with wonderful city views from the large windows. Good internet speed and access. Would certainly book here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nuvoloso18

Dear 'Ceilo'
Thank you for your very kind review following your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Liverpool City Centre.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you on many future occasions.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

The hotel is slap bang in the middle of everything. You could not pick a better location if you tried.

The internet is a little bit patchy. Checking out was a bit of a ball ache as the older chap behind the counter was getting himself flustered but this is nothing to complain about really.

My only gripe is that the bar and restaurant area is a bit tired and could do with a refresh.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Dear 'Bennkers'
Thank you for your review following your stay in our great City.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our location in the heart of Liverpool to your liking.
I am pleased that Rob our Concierge came to assist with your check-out. He is a great character (Everton supporter!), and we will assist him in some reception tasks!
Later this year we look forward to having our bar & restaurant refurbished in line with bedroom improvements which took place earlier in the year.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Liverpool on many future occasions.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the hotel for four nights on a football-trip for watching a Liverpool-match. The hotel is situated very centrally, so everything is within the distance by using your feet.The room was in very good condition. It also had good beds. We lived on the 4th floor at the end of the corridor and it was pleasantly quiet. The breakfast was very good, especially the bacon... I would like to give credit to the staff for their friendliness and fantastic service! Especially a young man (Steve?? - a Liverpool-fan!), did make us feel very welcome!

The only thing that we found negative was the lack of free internet. In 2014, it should be needless to pay £8/24hrs access. The wi-fi had weak strength in our room, so it was not possible to use my iPad in the bed. There were also a restriction, so it was only possible to have internet access on one device......

I would gladly had given this hotel five 'stars', if there were free internet included. But after all, a hotel which I can recommend and hopefully will visit again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of a corridor for quietness.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
JonathanKing, General Manager at Holiday Inn Liverpool City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear 'khsyv'
Thank you for taking the time to provide your complimenting review.
Naturally, we are pleased to learn that you and your daughter enjoyed your time with us. The great result for Liverpool FC would also have helped!
With regards to internet service, I will certainly check the quality of service on our 4th floor but would recommend that you join our IHG Rewards program which provides free Wi-Fi to members.
We look forward to seeing you back in Liverpool in the near future.
Kind regards.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Arrived on Mon 24th March for 4 nights. Booked in advance, and got a great deal. Not only room, but breakfast for a fiver! Lovely room on the 9th floor, with views over the city.Very convenient for Lime St Station, it is literally across the road, so no taxi needed. Staff were very friendly, and helpful, and breakfast fresh and inviting. The restaurant also has a decent view. Very well decorated rooms, exceptionally clean and comfortable. No more than a fifteen to twenty minute walk to the attractions by the docks and ferry, and even closer to the shopping centre. Would definitely use this hotel again.

Room Tip: High floors for great views
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear 'riseparkpair'
Thank you for your very kind review following your recent stay with us in the heart of Liverpool; it is most appreciated.
Naturally, I am very pleased that you found a friendly level of service throughout your visit, complimenting our cleanliness and breakfast offering.
We are pleased to learn that you would consider staying with us again in the future. We hope that will be sometime soon.
Yours faithfully
Jonathan

Reviewed March 26, 2014

With just one night and part of two days to see some of the "highlights" of this vibrant city, the hotel is in a perfect central location - vital when time is at a premium! Directly opposite Lime Street station, and close to bus station - everywhere is accessible. A friend and myself visited the wonderful Albert Dock area - and looked around a couple of Museums - using public transport - tho' younger folk could walk in 10 or 15 mins. SO many wonderful places are within easy walking distance. St Georges Hall, The Walker Art Gallery and the Library next door - well worth a visit - and we were able to walk from the Hotel to the Cavern Club for live FREE entertainment in the evening we were there - a Monday.

Arriving at the hotel there was a friendly welcome from Reception staff and up to Floor 9 and a lovely warm room - with an outstanding view overlooking the city and beyond to the Mersey.. Room had been totally refurbished - and was spotless and comfortable. Bathroom provided the largest fluffy bath sheets I have ever come across!

Flat screen tv. tea and coffee making facilities, and there's choice of Firm, Soft or even a Feather/Down Pillow. My only small negative would be that in common with 99% of other hotel rooms I have occupied - more - or even some - bright overhead lighting would have been welcome!!!

Breakfast was in large dining room which is attractively furnished. Choice of "proper" juices and good selection of cerials. As regards the hot "Full English" on offer the bacon was escpecially good - lean and tasty. Enjoyable meal with friendly staff...

We checked out around 10.30 am to continue sightseeing. Train home was in late afternnon - and we were able to store our cases until then - which was great. All in all then - happy to recommend this hotel and would certainly choose to stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher rooms better view!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
JonathanKing, General Manager at Holiday Inn Liverpool City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear 'IndigoNottingham'
Thank you for your very positive review following your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Liverpool City Centre.
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us, exploring our great City.
With so much to see and do we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on many future occasions.
Kind regards