“Inconsistent housekeeping and overpriced dodgy food” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre

Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre
Ranked #27 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Toronto, Canada
“Inconsistent housekeeping and overpriced dodgy food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

The service as a whole was decent but the housekeeping was very inconsistent which may be a British thing because the review of my Edinburgh hotel will have similar for housekeeping.
I'll elaborate. When staying in a chain hotel of the Crowne Plaza ilk, I expect that my water glasses, if used, be replaced daily and not put back (or left in same place I left it) half full of the stale water I left from the night before. I also expect that the tea I used be replaced as well so I can then have the same tea again the next day. I also expect that if you are going to take my facecloth, even though I've hung it and my towel (as indicated to save the environment) to please replace it so I don't have to call down to housekeeping.

The breakfast buffet was limp and I wasn't inclined to eat anything other than yogurt and fruit as nothing else appealed. For that was charged £10.

Not much else to say really.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Laura R
CrownePlazaLiverpool, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. At the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre we are always grateful to receive constructive feedback as it enables us to monitor and maintain the standards of service we provide our guests. I am disappointed to hear of your experiences. Please accept my sincere for any inconvenience caused by these oversights. I have discussed these matters with our housekeeping and kitchen teams, highlighting the issues you raised, to prevent similar situations from re-occurring in the future. However, I am encouraged that although you had a number of problems during your stay, you still report that the overall service was decent, though it is a shame that the housekeeping and breakfast undermined this impression. I hope that this experience will not deter you from staying with us again in the future as we would appreciate the opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to improving customer service.

Stephen Roberts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Arrived after a 5.5 hour journey on Friday night. Check in was quick and easy, was in Liverpool to watch Mrs Browns Boys on the Sat. From the arrival, the check in, to leaving, was a positive experience with very friendly and helpful staff. We booked a club room which allows you access to the club lounge with 24 hour complimentary soft drinks and between 5-7pm complimentary alcoholic drinks, canapés and morning continental breakfast. Unfortunately they haven't quite got this right, there was no breakfast the first morning, but this wasn't a problem as we were allowed into the main restaurant for the buffet breakfast which was fab. We waited for an hour for the drinks to be stocked on the second evening, which was only done after chasing up staff, again with no problem. Staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. All in all would recommend, very central to tourist attractions, shopping and restaurants.

1 Thank AnnieChabs1
CrownePlazaLiverpool, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
It is a real pleasure to receive such positive feedback. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this review. At the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre we appreciate constructive feedback as it enables us to monitor and maintain the high standard of service we pride ourselves on delivering to our guests. I have discussed your comments regarding the Club Lounge with our Food and Beverage team, to prevent this situation from reoccurring in the future. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused during your stay. However, thank you also for your kind words regarding the staff. It really is the attitude of our staff which leaves a lasting positive impression on our guests and your comments demonstrate that they really are a credit to our hotel. Thank you for recommending our hotel to other travelers.

Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed for four nights while on business. Everything was good about the hotel with friendly staff. Rooms were clean and warm and comfortable. Used the Spa, jacuzzi was good, also used the gym. The showers are in need of upgrading. Great swimming pool.
Breakfast was very good - but no scones:(
Ate fish in the restaurant on 2 nights, very tasty but portions a bit small.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the LIver building
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Pixie067
CrownePlazaLiverpool, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your complimentary comments regarding the rooms, staff and leisure club are greatly appreciated. It is a real pleasure to receive positive feedback and it gives me great pride to know that our hotel can offer a comfortable stay for business guests. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Salford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

we stayed here on Friday to see mrs browns boys the hotel was very clean and the room was too.the bedroom was very clean and the bed was great get the bed right and you half way there it was so comfy and the pillows were great i want some.the breakfast was very good to start the day for the journey home.we would definertly stay again thanks for a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: we asked for a quite room and got one
1 Thank tony h
I am delighted to hear that your experiences at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre were so good. Thank you for your positive comments regarding the room and our facilities. The beds are so comfortable because of our Sleep Advantage scheme, which benefits our guests by providing high quality pillows, linen and mattress toppers. It is a pleasure to hear that you would stay with us again and we look forward to seeing you soon.

NY, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed for four nights for a conference. The hotel is very well located on the river,
and a short walk from all the shopping centers. The hotel was very satisfactory, and the
complementary breakfast was great.

Two minor issues:
For some reason, when people called me from outside, the reception sometimes simply did not answer. Somewhat annoying, for such a place.
The second, is that the room is made up fairly late (at 1pm the room was not made up), but I should add that I did not ask to be made up early.

Final remark: some of the people in the conference got a better deal book elsewhere (http://greenroom.co.uk/exclusive) even compared to the special conference rate

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank YM2000
Thank you for providing us with feedback on your stay. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and found that the location was convenient for your needs. Your constructive comments have been communicated to the relevant departments for review and we will reflect on these and conduct any required retraining. Once again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed here for my husbands 40th birthday last weekend. I did inform the hotel of this and they supplied a card and cake as a suprise which was nice. Down side - it would have been nice to have been told prior to our arrival that we would not be able to book into the restuarant on either night we stayed due to corporate xmas does taking over the whole restaurant and bar. We had been told on arrival that we would still be able to have a nice 3 course meal in the bar. This was not the case and ended up with inadequate room service on the first night as there was no where available else where to book in a meal. We therefore ordered indian take away the second night as the room service was so poor the night before. I understand xmas and all that but it would have been nice to take been told in advance so that we could have booked in a meal elsewhere. Breakfast was nice but the whole experience spolied what was suppost to have been a special weekend. Goods days racing at Antree though!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. At the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre we continually monitor customer feedback to identify areas of improvement so that we can continue to provide a high standard of service to our guests. Therefore, we are extremely grateful for your constructive comments. Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused by Christmas festivities occurring in the hotel during your stay. Unfortunately, on some evenings during the run up to Christmas our restaurant has been fully booked and I apologise that this impacted your stay. During this busy period we have reserved an area of the bar exclusively for residents to minimize disturbance, where the full Lounge Bar menu is available until 11pm each evening, though I understand that this may not have suited your needs and again I extend my sincerest apologies. I have forwarded your comments onto our Kitchen and Food & Beverage departments for review and accordingly we have made further provisions to amend this situation in the future. Once again, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, as it has enabled us to promptly rectify a significant area of concern. I hope this experience will not deter you from staying with us again in the future, so that we may have opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to improving the customer experience.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

A really first class hotel with genuinely very friendly and helpful staff. Amazing view from the room of the Royal Liver Building and across the Mersey as well as being right in the regenerated area of the Docks. Great swimming pool. Extensive selection of quite fresh and well presented English breakfast dishes. Continental choice poor. Quite expensive.
Food in the Lounge was excellent. However....
Unable to use the Brasserie because of a function with the Kids Eat Free Option and weren't told this until the last minute. After a great deal of embarassing negotiation we were able to make use of this option in the Lounge but this didn't have the full menu for the adults.
They should inform guests of this at the time of booking, or as soon as it becomes apparent, giving them the choice of cancelling at no cost.
So don't go there if a restaurant meal is part of your expectation.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room overlooking the River or the Royal Liver Building.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for providing us with feedback on your stay at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre. Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused by the Christmas festivities occurring in the hotel during your stay. As this is a particularly busy time of year there are a number of evenings in December where the restaurant is fully booked. However, as you experienced, we have endeavored to minimize the disruption that this may have upon our guests’ experience by reserving an area in the bar exclusively for residents, where the full Lounge Bar menu is available until 11pm. I am disappointed to hear that you were required to negotiate with the staff in order to receive the kids eat free option available in the Brasserie, as I agree that where the Brasserie is fully booked you should automatically receive the same offer in the Lounge Bar. Please be assured that I have liaised with the relevant members of staff to ensure that this is upheld in the future. However, I am pleased to hear that the rest of your stay was an enjoyable one and I am delighted to hear that you benefited from having a privileged view of the Liver Building and enjoyed making good use of the hotel facilities. I am particularly grateful to hear that you received a friendly and helpful reception from our staff, as it is their customer service which leaves a lasting positive impression upon our guests. Once again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.