“Unhelpful and rude”

Prince Alfred B&B
Prince Alfred B&B
Ranked #64 of 73 Liverpool B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Stayed here for one night with friends for a night out. From the moment we arrived the owner was about as friendly and welcoming as a punch in the face. We were waiting for more friends to arrive and check in later on that day, the owner said if they did not arrive by 5:30 he was leaving and they would not be staying there even thought we were told 6pm and the room agreement on our room door said 6. When we pointed this out to him he got angry and said that was the old agreement but stayed to 6 anyway and our friends checked in. TBF the rooms and bathrooms were very clean but there was no kettle or tea in the rooms, no towels and no breakfasts. Also we were kicked out at 10 even though the room

Room Tip: Rude staff
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank tazz_dragon
There are newer reviews for Prince Alfred B&B

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I visited the prince alfred with friends in November. I think you get what you pay for and we were just looking for somewhere reasonably priced with clean sheets and shower and that is what we got. OK we needed someone to collect keys before they left at 6pm but this wasn't an issue for us.

The B&B is separate from the pub, round the corner and up metal stairs which could do with a sign as its not too clear on first arrival. Yes, the cleaner knocked on our door to get us up and to use the shower so she could clean it after each person - but at least its clean. The rooms were clean and spacious enough.

All round OK stay for good price and not too far in a taxi for a good night out in Liverpool.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Booked one night in this "bed and breakfast" .............massive mistake!!!
Needed a place for my husband to stay at short notice as I had been admitted into the Walton neuro centre for an urgent operation, so went through late rooms.com and booked and paid for 1 night for the next evening, received an email of confirmation. Great .
The next morning we received a phone call from the bed and breakfast owner, who told us he doesn't take bookings on a Sunday as it's a day off!!! I tried to appeal to his better nature, to be told he had been "working until 7am and he wanted to go home" plus it wasn't his problem............ Obviously he hasn't got a "better nature"
I have since read the reviews and I'm so glad my husband was spared this awful experience, we have had a refund from late rooms but really could of done with things going better at this already personal stressful time!!!!!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank ski_do_10
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I booked 3 rooms in this place and would never book to go to it again we got there and the owner was not there so the cleaner told us to leave are bags and come back later on so we did this well when we got back to check in the man waiting for us was not very nice to us at all

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank shanestr
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I am a fashion designer and was in Liverpool for Liverpool Fashion Week in Oct 2013, I booked a brilliant hotel for the first half of my stay through Last Minute.com. I had to stay a further 4 nights in Liverpool but was unable to continue my stay in the original hotel.I rang Last minute.com and explained my situation that I had a lot of clothing with me from my Show the previous evening and that I had to stay in the City Center near the venue at The Liver Buildings. The Last Minute.com Rep on the phone suggested a B and B which was outside the city center Again I said I could not stay there due to my circumstances.He then said that he had found a 3 Star Hotel called the Prince Alfred and that it was situated in the City Center. I agreed to booking there for 4 nights and I paid immediately over the phone.
I realised after getting off the phone that I had not been given any details at all about the booking in time, the phone number or the address even. As I was in a rush to check out of the original hotel who had kindly let me to stay over the check out time I got in a Taxi and told the driver the name.He said he was not familiar with the hotel and that he was not sure if it was in the City Center. He checked on his Sat Nav and Smart phone and said it was actually well out of the City in a place called Walton and about 9 miles from the center Still in a rush and unable to walk around with all my luggage I said I would have to stay there so we set off. When we arrived the area was very run down and the hotel appeared to have a Karaoke Bar as the main Hotel front. I went to the Bar with the same name as the Hotel and asked the woman at the Bar where I should check in.She said the Bed and Breakfast was nothing to do with them and that I should go round the side and upstairs. I went outside and asked the lovely Taxi driver to wait further.Luckily my mum had come with me to help with my luggage.I went up the metal staircase which looked like a Fire Escape and knocked on the door hard several times.There were no lights on and no one to be seen. At first to me it looked just like either a B and B for homeless people, a homeless hostel or a Brothel and certainly not a 3 Star Hotel in the center of Liverpool! I came back down the stairs and realised I could not stay there as I could not even enter the building. I got back in the cab and the taxi driver set back into the city center and meanwhile he phoned the Travel Lodge hotels and set off to one of their hotels.The receptionist was fantastic and allowed me to stay in their Reception area while I rang Last Minute.com. I spoke to 2 different reps from the company explaining the situation and asking them to either book me another hotel or refund my money so that I could pay for another room. They did not take my experience seriously at all and kept saying they would have to investigate the phone call with the original rep before actually even considering a refund.In fact they strongly implied I would not be due a refund.I explained again that I had been given misrepresentation of the hotel on two accounts and that in effect I was stranded in Liverpool still with no room. I eventually spoke to a Supervisor and he said he would get back to me on my mobile.It is 3 weeks later and I still have not heard from them! I had to abandon staying in Liverpool and went home to Leeds. I had already paid for the room at £125.00, paid £15.00 for the taxi and then had to pay a further £25.00 for my train back to Leeds. I listened to an Voice Mail message from the Prince Alfred when i got home and a woman said that I had to get there to check in between 12.00 Noon and 6.00pm. I definitely got there within this period and still could not get in!I suggest this place is shut down as they obviously have a terrible reputation.

Room Tip: Do not ever attempt to stay at this Bed and Breakfast
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank dorab183
john s, Guest Relations Manager at Prince Alfred B&B, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

I'm sorry to hear that your Lastminute.com advisor didn't give you the full information about out establishment. It has always been within our terms that you need to check in before 6pm. I personally called you when the reservation was made and sent you an email to advise you of our check in terms etc but I was unable to speak with you directly. Had I got through I would have been able to discuss the details of our hotel with you. As we are a budget hotel at only £25.00 a night it wouldn't make sense for us to employ someone to be there 24 hours a day.

We also have a 48 hour cancellation notice period, which Lastminute should have advised you of prior to your booking, thus the fact you haven't been offered a refund. Any further complaints should be taken up with them.
Once again I'm sorry that you were misinformed and apologise unreservedly for LastMinute.com's lack of understanding about our hotel.

Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Got there at 6 as the man sad I had 2 be, no kettle for a drink an the kitchen was locked so I couldn't av a glass ov water, do I had 2 go the pub down stairs. Had a good sleep bug wen woke up no breakfast :( there was a McDonald s over the road but didn't feel like it, so I went for a walk an found a lovely little cafe called Fontaines cafe were the breakfast was out of this world an only £5 for the large one. I'd stay again but only 2 go back that cafe mmmmmm

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Prettygirl000
john s, Owner at Prince Alfred B&B, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Breakfast served at our cafe partner as the guest mentioned not included in room rate stated on all our website at time of booking ,also stated is the kitchen is open during check in times 12-6pm where water tea and coffee are available free of charge but is closed after that for insurance purposes as there is not 24 hr management supervision .

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Well, me and my friends dun expect too much from this B&B, as we juz wanna find a place near Anfield. Near train station (walk like 5-10 mins) though we've to go up and down the bridge before we get over there. We spent over 30 mins waiting in the pub for someone to open the door for us, and I'd say there's no "entrance" and we need to pick our luggage and walk up the staircase....well....not a pleasant experience yet. Anyway, the staff there helped us to call a cab to go Anfield, quite helpful indeed.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liverpool
Holiday Inn Express Liverpool-Knowsley
#15 of 73 in Liverpool
Trivelles Seaforth
Trivelles Seaforth
#17 of 73 in Liverpool

Been to Prince Alfred B&B? Share your experiences!