“Gangsters paradise” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Gangsters paradise”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Took my elderly aunt for the advertised afternoon tea thinking oooh yes this should be nice way to spend an hour or so. I was wrong. The first person to greet me was a girl on reception with a black eye. Hmm interesting. They sat us down in the sort of cafe area. There was a better area but it was full, surprisingly. Anyway, after spotting a free table, eventually got seated in the nicer part. Table was not clean, had to get waiter to wipe clean. It was busy, but they only seemed to have one person doing the waiting on, cleaning up etc. There were others but they seemed to be wandering around with no purpose. The tea was ok, A bit steep at £15 each. The thing that really got to me was the attendance of what seemed to be the "lads out for a bevy in town". What are they doing in the Hilton when there are loads of pubs around. The place seemed to be being used as a local drinking den for the scallies with a few bob in their pocket. We did book this afternoon tea a week in advance but they were totally unprepared for us. A money making racket if you me. If you want to take your mum for Mother's day afternoon tea, go to the Hard Days Night Hotel. Better quality all round. No scallies.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Redman57
Steff B, Front Office Manager at Hilton Liverpool City Centre, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Redman57,

Thank you for choosing to dine for Afternoon Tea with your Aunt here with us at Hilton Liverpool, and thank you for providing this constructive review.

Please be assured the service you received on this occasion was not the hotels usual standard, we pride ourselves on offering an enjoyable dining experience for all of our guests, and I do apologise that on this occasion this was not achieved.

As our hotel bar is open to the general public, we do welcome all guests to enjoy a drink or food in our PIMA bar. I apologise if this was not what you expected and regret that you feel this deterred from the enjoyment of your Afternoon Tea.

I would very much appreciate an opportunity to discuss this with you and gather further information, if you would be happy to do so please contact me at steffanie.buck@hilton.com

Kindest Regards,

Steff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Great location for access to the Albert Dock and shopping areas, the hotel is a good quality business hotel with nice rooms and all the amenities you'd expect but there is still plenty of room of improvement.

My biggest complaint is the so called "high speed internet" which is £15 for 24 hours. It is not high speed at all and I struggled to get a signal at the best of times. It took me 10 minutes to load pages or even send a short text email. It was a complaint shared by many of my colleagues and there really is no excuse for why a hotel of this grade and price does not provide proper high speed internet included in the room rates.

Having stayed here twice before, I have noticed that the hotel struggles when busy. The staff are perfectly friendly, but service becomes very slow.

Food ordered via room service was nice, and the bar is nice when it's quiet, but there is often a DJ or singer that plays so loud that you cannot talk to anyone and I have almost lost my voice as a result. If you want a cosy night and conversation I recommend you go elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank MissNinja
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Great location across the road from Albert Docks area (world heritage site) and backing on to Liverpool One shopping district.

Exec rooms are spacious, comfortable, well built (decent solid walls that seem relatively sound proof). Exec lounge is a little sterile, but quiet, nice view, and an okay space to work or grab a drink from the fridge, or a quicker/quieter breakfast in the morning.

Bar service is friendly but slow. Also worth noting no pool or leisure amenities apart from the gym (which is a reasonable size). Staying for business, so this isn't a problem!

Cost of Internet is absurd - I'm lucky in that I have a loyalty card at the right level so get for free. Hilton isn't alone in this - but £15 for 24 hours is robbery, or £75 for a week!! Connection is reliable though.

I would stay again - staff are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Businessclass2012
Steff B, Front Office Manager at Hilton Liverpool City Centre, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear BusinessClass2012,

Thank you very much for your recent feedback about your stay in Hilton Liverpool.

We thank you for your very constructive comments; feedback such as this enables the hotel to continually offer high levels of service and standards to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future,

Regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is amazing. Is perfectly located at the pier with a mall a few blocks away and the Beatles Story almost around the corner. The lobby is very cool and you have free wifi there (not in the rooms). The rooms are clean, big and with a heck of a view. Without a doubt if I go back to Liverpool I will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Gbrl7
Dear GSira,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Hilton Liverpool, I thank you again for your kind comments.

I am glad to see you would return to us if you visit Liverpool in the future, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Best Regards,

Douglas, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

we arrived at the hotel as planned check in was fine,staff friendly but a lot of complianing by guests as we were waiting we were soon to find out why.
at £165 per night i would expect breakfast included no,i would expect the aircon to work no,i would expect the corridors clean no,we left for the evening to return around 12am to find a bloody nightclub in the hotel bar area,didnt see that advertised!
overpriced massivley would never stay there agian not recomended

Room Tip: dont bother book elsewhere
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JASON r
Sarah J, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Liverpool City Centre, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Jason r,

Thank you for sharing your experiences of your most recent stay at the Hilton Liverpool.
I am incredibly disappointed to see that you didn’t enjoy your stay at the Hotel and would not return. A lot of our guests on the weekend thoroughly enjoy the vibrant atmosphere of our bar on a weekend. For any guests that do not wish to listen to the DJ but would still like a drink, have alternative seating on the first floor. It is advertised that we have live entertainment; however I do regret to see that you did not enjoy this feature.

In regards to the air conditioning, I will be reporting your comments to the maintenance team, to ensure that this is fixed for any future guests.

If you would like to discuss your comments further please feel free to contact me directly on sarah.johnson3@hilton.com.

Kind regards,

Sarah
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I can't fault this hotel, nice and clean, friendly staff, excellent location, quiet rooms. Everything you need. Will definitely return. We asked for a room high up and facing chavasse park (Liverpool 1), we got exactly that and the room also overlooked Albert dock. A little tip, park on Liverpool 1 car park on level three, and walk out of the car park by the mobility centre, and the Hilton is directly opposite on the same level.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple