“Fantastic Location”

Novotel Liverpool
Ranked #33 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hotel is in a great location on the doorstep of all the shops, bars and restraunts. Also very close to Albert Dock. The hotel itself is very modern and the rooms were very spacious, clean and modern. The food was also good, with one of the best hotel breakfasts I have had. The only real downside I felt was some of the staff, they were quite rude at times and not very helpful.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LC710
Write a ReviewReviews (2,420)

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hotel is in a great location near the Liverpool One area and Albert Dock. The breakfast was excellent with lots to choose from and a lovely restaurant. Also when we asked for extra pillows and towels they arrived promptly.
Negatives - our room faced the inside part of the hotel. The WiFi cost £9.00 for 24 hours on one device. On the Sunday night a group were booking in when husband and son returned from a concert at Echo, they must have been allocated rooms near us as there were doors being banged and loud voices. A phone call to reception did seem to help but maybe they should have been reminded that others were sleeping it was after 11pm. The following morning we arrived at breakfast with only 10 minutes to spare. The person on the desk seemed unhappy that we were so late but on a positive the other restaurant staff and we were asked before they closed the buffet which was at 10.15am. We were not the only ones in the restaurant when we arrived.
Would recommend the Premier Inn and Holiday Express over this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed with my family, my brothers family and my elderly parents at the end of May.
We had requested all our rooms were close together resulting in my parents floor 2, us floor 3 and my brother floor 4. Rather irritating!
As we had checked in at different times, when I queried this, I was told that none of the other party members had complained. That was because, until we were in our rooms, we didn't know!

The room was lovely. Everything you needed and more. Comfy beds, seating area and well equipped bathroom. Again slight flaw was the air conditioning not working in our room. Apparently all 3 rooms were exceptionally stuffy and hot. When I called down at 4am I was told to switch the air conditioning off then it would work. Rubbish!

When we went for a drink in the bar, they had sold out of some bottles of wine because they had been busy (it was a bank holiday weekend, so may be it should have been expected and extra supplies bought)

We used the pool, which was spotless and the fluffy towels, super.

Breakfast and service better than anywhere else I've been. The staff are extremely well mannered, polite and are willing to assist with requests. The hot buffet breakfast area kept exceptionally well, pristine for each guest attending it.

Overall, a lovely positioned hotel for the centre of Liverpool and short walk from the Docks which is well appointed. Discount car parking available in the building next door. I recommend a high level room for noise from the street, which is to be expected in a city centre and check the air conditioning/heating is working.

Room Tip: High room to reduce city noise
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here. The first night we had a problem with the window not closing properly, but they moved us to another room without fuss. It seems that it is worth paying the extra for the executive rooms: better room, free movie, better coffee maker. Nice rooms and helpful staff. Parking is a bit expensive, but it is in the city centre, so what do you expect?

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I visit this hotel regularly and always find it good. The breakfast in the morning is good apart from the cooked stuff such as bacon which seems to have been there a long time. The rooms are comfortable and well decorated. The bar area is pleasant.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
NovotelLiverpoolGM, General Manager at Novotel Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear Cumbrianworker,
Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear you stay with us on your trips to Liverpool.
I have passed you comments regarding the bacon to our head chef which he has reviewed with his team to make sure the quality is to our usual high standard.
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

On the positive side it is in a great location. I have a few criticisms............ I couldn't open the windows more than 2" as they are secured. I like fresh air when I am sleeping - not possible here! Our room faced a multi-storey car park whose lights were on 24 hours a day shining into the room. Breakfasts horrendously expensive. They advertise that they have Sky Sports but it is NOT in your room, only in the bar.

Room Tip: Avoid any room with the window facing the 24 hour car park. It is noisy and the lights shine into th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Dave W,
Thank you for your review however I am disappointed to read some of your comments.
The windows are restricted to open 6cm for Health and safety. There is a contact fresh air supply into the room also with air cooling as required by the individual guest.
I do still hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel on your next visit to Liverpool.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Spent 3 nights recently and would not rate this hotel as 4*. Our room 'Superior Twin' was not as we imagined. One of the window curtains had hooks missing making leaving a sagging gap. The carpet had stains on it.
The bed was comfortable but the bedding was undersized. The breakfast hot buffet was not 4* quality. Bacon was piled high on dish not large enough so top layers were cold! Only one toasting machine meant we had to queue each morning for toast. Two machines should be minimum for this busy hotel. Toilet paper quality very poor and appeared to be rationed!
Finally the price we paid was certainly not reflected in how we viewed the hotel.
Other views rate the leisure facilities highly but its the overall facilities that we feel let it down.
There are better hotels in this area at lower prices!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear GrahamF,
I am sorry that the curtain had dropped and the carpet had a stain. These have both been corrected however I am sorry that was not done before your arrival.
We are sourcing a second toaster for the buffet for peak periods so thank you for your feedback and the Head chef has reviewed the breakfast standard with the chef on duty during your stay. Breakfast is usually an area we receive a lot of positive feedback.