“A tired hostel but good walking distance to the centre and docks.”

Hatters Hostel Liverpool
Ranked #29 of 109 Specialty Lodging in Liverpool
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We arrived for check in at 2.30pm (check in from 2pm) and were told our room wasn't ready and although we could leave our luggage we'd have to come back later. A pain after the journey there. We returned a couple of hours later and got in, however there was still some rubbish on our room floor which we cleared ourselves. Although comfortable, the room was very tired with cracked doors, flaking walls and windows and old stained duvet. We have stayed in hostels of similar prices which were a much higher standard, but everything is within walking distance and liveable so it ticks those boxes. Think I would try somewhere else next time, for a couple looking for a double room many hotels nearby offer reasonable prices with a full breakfast, don't feel like we made much of a saving for what it lacked.

• Stayed: August 2013
There are newer reviews for Hatters Hostel Liverpool

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

The best thing about this hostel is its location. That is about it. The wifi only works in the common area and for ten minute bursts, making it hard to organise further travel. The rooms are small and beds weren't made when we arrived. The showers weren't the cleanest and the games room lacked games. You pay for location!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Great breakfast, with ample choice and seating. Rooms were quaint, each being en-suite which is nice, and not as common as you may think for a hostel. Well located on the fringe of china town, with great restaurants just a moments walk away.

However, upon arrival a small slip of paper is given to you. This is your receipt, THAT YOU MUST SHOW ON DEMAND IF YOU WANT TO ENTER THE ESTABLISHMENT AFTER 10PM. So, if you go for a night out in Liverpool, then you need to keep the paper handy, otherwise they won't let you back in.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2013

a very good hostel and it's in the centre where only 10 mins away from everything, only the breakfast there was no choice only bread with butter or cereal. the only disappointment we had was about the taxi from OTS Services very bad bad company the driver didn't came for us and they don't want to refund us!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I had such an amazing time in Liverpool that we promise to come again..and thanks to Hatters for the great stay. We had booked a private room because of the value and was better than anywhere so far visited on this trip. The main social space is ideal to enjoy company and meet new people. We managed to embark on a day trip to the lake district; in 1 day!! Thanks to the staff for their hospitality and keen service. The free wifi and breakfast is exceptional. I willnrecommend to all my friends!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I truly recommend this hostel. One of the best that I ever stayed. Great location; very closed to the city centre. You can do everything in the city on foot. Also the staff is friendly and the place is clean.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My first visit to Liverpool! The location of Hatters is great – very central and near the train station. It’s an odd set up; an asylum seekers residence crossed with an old style youth hostel but the beds were clean enough and we had an en suite bathroom. It was a bit shabby in places but fairly cheap given the location.

I telephoned before my visit and arranged and paid for breakfast for the four of us visiting. It was my friend’s birthday and I wanted everything to go smoothly. I asked for two vegan breakfasts, a vegetarian breakfast and a regular full English. I was told the vegan option would be no problem. When we went in to breakfast on Saturday the chef was unaware of my booking and could not have been less interested. He was rude and said “What do vegans eat - lettuce!?” It took about 15 minutes to finally get a plate of luke warm beans, tomatoes and mushrooms and one lonely Linda McCartney sausages (the veggie plate had two!). While we ate, the chef hovered about staring at us. I think he realised he’d been very rude. We ate down the road at Egg - a vegetarian/vegan café the next day, much nicer.

Other than that, our stay was fine. The beds were comfortable and the location of Hatters was great – all other members of staff I dealt with were friendly and helpful. He let the team down badly. I complained and eventually was given a full apology and refund for the four breakfasts. I don’t think I’ll be back.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor and it was a bit noisy but that was due to other guests shouting and ban...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends