“Lovely food but disappointing service”
Review of Silk Rd Liverpool

Silk Rd Liverpool
Ranked #25 of 2,169 Restaurants in Liverpool
Description: SILK RD Restaurant is a concept that brings to life the food, drinks and soul that can be found along the ancient routes that run from the Pacific of East China, through to the Mediterranean sea. We serve all of our freshly cooked food in a tapas style, giving you the opportunity to enjoy many flavours
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I excitedly visited Silk Rd after hearing very good reviews. The 4 of us arrived at the empty restaurant on an early Sunday in December, not deterred by being the only table, we sat at a table and ordered a range of drinks. We waited for the drinks for over 15 minutes before I chased them with the waitress, who went to check. After a further 10 minutes the lady in charge approached our table with all but one of our drinks which apparently couldn’t be make (a festive cocktail) as no one in the restaurant could use the smoke machine required for it. We agreed on a different drink that was offered to us for free.

When we came to order the food we asked if we could use my mums council discount which we were assured we could and the waitress recommended the banquet options as we hadn’t been to the restaurant before. The food was lovely and we could not fault the meal itself. Although, despite the quite restaurant we could not find a waitress at any point when we needed extra cutlery or drinks.

When it came to paying the bill we were told that the waitress had been mistaken and we couldn’t use the discount that we were promised. She said that she had spoken to her manager who had offered a menial amount off of the bill instead and given us a 50% off in January card (which I later found out was a January offer anyway).

I did email my issues to Silk Rd for their training purposes however, all I received back was a voicemail from the manager saying I could ring him back on that specific day, otherwise he was unavailable.

All in all the staff, whilst badly trained, tried their best and the food was lovely. It’s just a shame about the way the restaurant is run.

Date of visit: December 2019
pacos902, Owner at Silk Rd Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi rachaelalice,

Firstly we are pleased that you enjoyed the food with us. We pride ourselves on serving fresh, authentic dishes that are inspired by the ancient Silk Rd Trail.

Your feedback email was very much appreciated, I tried to call you as I would have liked to speak to you directly as I find this more personal as every guests feedback is very important to us. It is very easy for us to type an email response however the personal touch is lost in my opinion. TripAdvisor is the most worldwide used site for reviews however for constructive criticism we do like to discuss personally. I did call twice however could not connect therefore I left a voicemail stating I would not be on the premise for the next 2 days but I did leave my mobile number to contact as I was hoping to speak with you.

With regards to the drinks delay and confusion we apologise, this is not a regular occurrence for us and staff and manager training has since been given with to ensure this does not happen again. If you look at our 600+ reviews, this is not the norm here however human error can unfortunately happen in this industry.

Apologies also In regards to the discount miscommunication, although it does state in the council discount T&C's that your mum will receive on the council intranet that the offer is only valid with the main menu cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers including the banquets that you chose to dine from as this is a discounted menu. However this was not made clear to you at the start of your meal due unfortunately to human error, refresher training has also been given on this.

My email is marc@silkrd.co.uk and you have my contact number on the voicemail, however if you require it again please drop me an email. I would like to get in touch with you to discuss this further. I hope to hear from you soon as we would love to turn your 3* into a 5* and show why the majority of our reviews are 5*.

Warm regards,
Marc
General Manager,
Silk Rd Liverpool (Beetham Plaza)

Write a reviewReviews (664)

Reviewed January 17, 2020

Booked for a group of 8 people with young baby for a special birthday. Restaurant staff were very welcoming and attentive. The choice, quality and flavour of the tapas was amazing. The wine list had some great wines which really complimented the food. Tapas was some of the best we have tasted. The food was presented really quickly. We will return. Thanks.

Hi Jeanette R,

Thank you for taking the time to write this fantastic review!

We are delighted that we helped to make a an occasion special for you. We pride ourselves on our excellent service along with our fresh, high quality dishes which span 3 different continents along the Silk Rd, so it is great for us to see you enjoyed this on your experience with us. Will pass on your kind words to the team.

Hoping to see you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed January 12, 2020 via mobile

First visit to this restaurant and have to say a good one, both food and service was excellent, as was front of house, who were both highly efficient and very friendly. As it was our first visit we decided to have the "Emperor Wu" banquet, so to get a taste of what the restaurant has to offer, we were not disappointed as all the dishes were very tasty and well served, all washed down with a bottle of Spanish red wine. The wine list has a good selection and is both varied and well priced. To finish the evening we both had cocktails, which were well made and reasonably priced.

Will we be visiting this restaurant again? Absolutely.
Highly recommended.

Date of visit: January 2020
pacos902, Owner at Silk Rd Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2020

Hi Atill11

Thank you for taking the time to write this well thought out 5* review.

We are really pleased to hear you enjoyed all aspects of your Silk Rd experience, as the high quality food and excellent, friendly customer service we provide are both areas of service in which we pride ourselves on!

We would love to see you return soon!

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed January 5, 2020

We had a return visit last night for a family group of 15. The manager Marc was again extremely accommodating and our waitress Olivia worked really hard and was lovely. The team there are so friendly and the food was amazing;all of our group really enjoyed the whole time there and they all complimented the food, staff and atmosphere. I'd highly recommend this restaurant and will definitely return. Thanks again to Marc, Olivia and the rest of the team.

Date of visit: January 2020
pacos902, Owner at Silk Rd Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2020

Hi Cara L,

Thank you for taking the time to write this amazing 5* review!

We are really pleased to hear how you and your party enjoyed your evening with us at Silk Rd Liverpool. I will pass on your kind words to Marc & Olivia and the team.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed January 4, 2020 via mobile

The atmosphere and welcome when entering the restaurant was just perfect. The staff are very attentive and explained the whole menu experience and answered any questions and gave recommendations on the amount of Tapas to have.

There is plenty of options to choose from and all the food that we had was excellent, well presented.

Would go back again if we are in town.

Date of visit: January 2020
Paco S, Owner at Silk Rd Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2020

Hi 466grahamh,

Thank you for taking the time to write this fantastic review!

We pride ourselves on our excellent service along with our fresh, high quality dishes which span 3 different continents along the Silk Rd, so it is great for us to see you enjoyed this on your experience with us. Will pass on your kind words to the team. Hopefully next time we can change your 4* review into a 5*!

Hoping to see you again soon.

Kind Regards,