“OK if you get it at a good rate”
Review of Roscoe House

Roscoe House
Ranked #64 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed overnight mid-week in April. Whilst not right in the city centre the hotel is in a good location within easy walking distance of the Albert Dock and Lime Street Station. We found the staff friendly and helpful. The building is pleasant and the rooms were certainly interestingly furnished...ours had a grand piano in it ! Our friends had a room with a small kitchen area, perhaps not as quirky but probably more functional than ours and as they were staying two nights the fridge/toaster etc were very useful. We did book quite late so perhaps did not get as good a rate as some reviewers. We paid for an upgrade, which probably wasn't necessary...unless you want the grand piano. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel but a continental breakfast is available - we found an excellent Weatherspoons very close to Lime Street Station.

As it was mid week we were not troubled by late-night partying but Liverpool is a very popular and very busy city so I am not sure what it would be like at weekends. Probably more chance of sleep than in the Albert Dock area though. Even mid-week we found all the restaurants in the Albert Dock were extremely busy so booking a table would probably be wise. There are some small restaurants near the hotel which looked very inviting but we didn't try them this time.

We will definitely visit Liverpool again - and if we got a good rate at Roscoe House would have no problem staying there again.

Room Tip: The ground floor room with the grand piano is certainly "different" but it is right opposi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Booked this place on a wing and a prayer as it was national weekend and the whole of Liverpool was booked well in advance. Not the cheapest place in Liverpool but in a great location, with large rooms suitably furnished and very helpful and friendly staff that made the stay more personal.

Enjoyed the weekend so much I am planning on a repeat next year and will strongly consider returning to Roscoe House, especially if they sort out a slightly temperamental shower in room 301. I did not report the issue with the shower to staff so hopefully they will pick it up on this review. I am not going to go into details but would invite a member of staff to try it out, good fun.

The place is clean and the beds comfortable offering a peaceful nights sleep. It has a lot of original character and is a charming Georgian building, walking distance from the stations and Liverpool's other attractions.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 30, 2013

pleasant hotel, nice rooms.

completely let down by service and the fact that they ask for a £20 deposit which they will refund on departure. Despite telling me they have refunded this money on two separate occasions they have debited my account without authorisation for this money and claim that its a fault on my bank account. I have contacted the bank and they say it was infact requested by roscoe house several days after i stayed. Do not believe what they say about deposits it is a shameful way of adding extra costs on to the room without people realising the money has not been refunded- I have requested twice that they refund the deposits and have had no response. Needless to say i will not be staying again and would not recommend to anyone

Room Tip: do not trust them to refund your deposit
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sara D
CEO_RoscoeCollection, Manager at Roscoe House, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Sara D,

I'm sorry to hear that you feel let down by us. Please note however that we do not take a 'Deposit' as you state.

When guests check in, we take a pre-authorisation for each room from a valid credit or debit card. This money is put on hold on your account, it is not debited from your account. This is the case with the vast majority of when they ask for a swipe of your card on check in. The difference however is that they do not tell you that they are taking a preauthorisation.

Preauthorisations are typically held for 3 - 4 days by our Merchant Services provider, however individual card holder's banks policies differ in the length of time which it takes for the prrauthorisation to be released, with some taking up to 10 days depending on their policies. Also card's such a pre-paid Mastercard's can take even longer.

Sadly we have no option but to take a preauthorisation for each room booking. This is because while the vast majority of people are honest, polite and respectable individuals there is a small number of individuals out there who have no respect for other people's property and we have had incidences all too often where rooms have been damaged, furniture smashed, glass broken and even hole's burnt in flooring. Without a preauthorisation we would be unable to recover the cost's incurred as a result of this damage which would affect the overall guest experience.

I note from your review that you scored us highly for location, sleep quality, room quality and cleanliness, things which we pride ourselves on. I do hope that you may reconsider your decision and will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Best Regards
Dave

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I loved my stay here & cannot believe some of the negative reviews . I am starting to wonder if i stayed in the same Hotel ? Its in a Brilliant location in one of my favourite parts of liverpool city Rodney street is steeped in History , This is a grade 2 Listed Building and as such cannot be messed about with structurally ( thank god ) The owners have kept as many original features as possible and for me this Hotel oozed Charm from the minute i stepped thru the door . I had my friend with me , she was spendinga flying visit to Liverpool and even though i live just a 15 minute train ride from the city centre i wanted to be central as possible as we had a meeting the next day on Bold street . Seriously i nearly fainted when i noticed how cheap this Hotel was being offered for on its own website . £38 ? come on people it was either Charm & History ( the Roscoe ) or Concrete & Modern ( the travelodge ) So of course i was'nt going to turn down the oppurtunity of staying in such an amazing Hotel . Check in was simple - i was a little concerned at having to put a £25 deposit down on the room for breakages but after speaking to the receptionist i realised exactly why - some people have no respect for something that isnt there's !!! The receptionist was a credit to the hotel , what a lovely girl( and scouse ) . In fact everyone from cleaner to night porter where brilliant . We got a fab Room , huge ground floor room to the rear with a double bed and a single and as a bonus a fully kitted out Kitchen and Shower room ..plus a garden ! I kid you not ..it was bloody brilliant . It was more like an apartment and was charming with original fireplace , fittings etc . I swear my mate got such a shock when we walked in ..I was sorry i did'nt book a few more nights to be honest we had such a fab stay . We asked to be shown a few other rooms with a view to staying again in the future and they where stunning . I love Hotels with lots of character and this place oozed it . We did not bother ordering breakfast so cannot comment on it . We bought our own and made it ourselves .. was so cool just chilling out in the Kitchen . Obviously the price was a huge Bonus ..and i have no doubt there would be much cheaper hotels available in Liverpool at the weekends .Midweek this hotel has such great offers but as a rule Friday & saturday the prices for rooms in the city are at a premium so its on a par with other's then .. but if you can get a room at this hotel for what we did then you are on to a winner . I will be looking out for more Roscoe House Bargains in the future . I adored this place i really did especially at that incredible price

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Shocked really that such a shabby place could have garnered so many favourable reviews - maybe all of the good reviews got a last minute deal ?
£119 for a room without fridge , broken window, no air conditioning (had to use a mug to hold up sash window for ventilation even with the radiator off so heard all of the glorious sirens in a typical city centre on a Saturday night)
Dirty, original fixtures great but, please clean them now and again
Will not be recomending or staying again

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed here last night, the room was clean but basic and tired. Website is not representative of this hotel. Although a Georgian house, the conversion to a hotel has not been done to a very high standard. Would not chose to stay here again

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Malcolm L
Reviewed February 5, 2013

On arriving at this boutique hotel I was welcomed with a lovely smiling receptionist who was nothing but helpful. Natalie informed me and my partner about all the local attractions and what we should spend our time in Liverpool doing.
The room (202) was beautiful. The high ceilings and original features were a change from your bog standard hotel, this was a hotel with a difference. The room was spotlessly clean with a large comfy bed. Although based in the heart of Liverpool City Centre there was no noise from the street which previous reviews complain about.
I will definitely stay here again and I will recommend Roscoe House to anyone visiting Liverpool.
Thank you for such a lovely stay and to all the staff for being so helpful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple