“Does not rise above mediocrity”

Nicola's Ristorante
Ranked #447 of 1,881 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 28, 2012

The food is unloved 'paint by numbers' fayre. Its a mystery that in the days of ever more adventurous chefs who are passionate-about-food, and more sophisticated paletes of the clientele to match that such establishments continue to offer such average/mediocre and unimaginative dishes.
It may be that the owner wishes to turn this place around - I hope so we need more excellent eating places in Crosby area. For now, this isnt it. My advice would be to reduce the number of items on the menu drastically and concentrate on doing the few remaining very well with high quality ingredients and a focussed chef.
In the meantime good people you will find many other better 'Italian' restaurants out there in the Liverpool region.....Go find 'em.

Reviewed January 28, 2012

Been a few times. Wouldn't go back after the last visit. They simply haven't got enough staff. We had to wait 20 min for someone to take our drink order. It must've been over an hour and a quarter till we got our starter. We complained and got s bott of wine but the night was spoilt. A shame because the food isn't bad. The lasagne is excellent.

Reviewed January 21, 2012

Since moving to the area I have always intended to visit this restaurant, thinking it would be a delicious homely place as it's been going for years. I took my sister and have to say I now think I picked the worst restaurant on South road.
I ordered the garlic mushrooms with melted cheese for starters. I cant describe how basic it was. There was no flavour, just a bowl of button mushrooms with stringy, tasteless cheese on top. My sisters pasta looked just as bad.
This place really isn't worth your money. I can't believe it's still going.

2  Thank Atticus187
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I visited this restaurant for the first time for a family members birthday and will definitely not be making a return visit. I am not a food snob but I expect certain things of an Italian restaurant and fake tasting Dolmio type sauce is not one of them. The pesto was not fresh but from a jar and anything that says "with chilli" is just covered with jalapenos from a jar! I can't believe such a busy restaurant wouldn't have good quality fresh ingredients.
The other thing that spoiled the meal was the chipped plates. No exaggeration,everyone had at least one chip on their plate! It's unproffesional looking and penny pinching and put me and several others off returning.
If I had got this food in one of the "two for a tenner" type restaurants I would have been quite happy but when I have paid £5 for a starter and £11 for a pasta dish I expect much, much better. And I'm afraid the cheap bottle of sauvignon blanc that they charged £18.95 for just made the sour taste in my mouth even worse!

Reviewed December 28, 2011

Ive still give my review 5 stars, nicolas is an institution, its been going for years and my family and I have been going for over 30 years
Inside its no ritz, although about 6 yerars ago they knocked though and put a lounge area in the other side of the restaurant which is nice when your waiting for a table.
The menu has changed slightly, but one thing I love about Nicolas is that whatever you ask for, they make it, I regularly order food from the "old menu" and they will always make it for me
Every true scouser from North Liverpool has been here at least once on their birthday to stand on the chair while every songs happy birthday!
This place has a very elcectic mix of people who dine here, the young 16 year olds on their first meal out for someones birthday, the wannabe wags, people dressed up to the nines starting a night out and people dressed down after a hard days shooping stopping off for some tea on the way home.
Its not the best Italian restaurant, but I still keep soming back and will continue to do so, whenever anyone asks me or my family about this place we all reply with the same thing... WE HAVE NEVER HAD A BAD MEAL THERE