“One of the best Saturday nights we've had in ages.”
Review of What's Cooking?

What's Cooking?
Ranked #91 of 1,697 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Bar, British, Grill
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids, Scenic view
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Bus service directly to the Albert Dock one minute walk to restaurant front entrance
Description: The award winning, What's Cooking?, sits on the historic Albert Dock overlooking Liverpool's Three Graces. Conjuring a menu compiled of local sources, What's Cooking? offers a mixture of Mexican and American cuisine. Serving excellent food since 1978, this laid back restaurant brings a contemporary décor to its Grade I-listed setting at Queen Elizabeth Hall.
“One of the best Saturday nights we've had in ages.”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I recently visited What's Cooking on a Saturday with a group of my friends and i have to say as far as restaurants go this was the best one we have been to for a while now. The interior is American-esque and the music is lively enough to create a goof atmosphere without drowning your conversation out. The food was excellent we had ribs and fajitas mainly and the service was nothing short of spot on, a foreign boy (spanish maybe) and a dark haired girl (i didnt catch their names sorry) served us and between them they made sure we never went without. The fudge cake, candle and happy birthday at the end was a lovely surprise. We spent the rest of the night on the dock but we wouldnt have left if this place was licenced later, highly recommend it to everyone.

• Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
“What a let down”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Well what can I say. After looking around we decided to go into this place and have a meal. Firstly we ordered drinks which came promptly. However, the first course was wrong but my elderly mum feeling bad for the waiter (who wasnt the one who took the order) said we would keep it and he took it away to put in a box for us. The side plates that were for the first course were left on the table and to our horror we realised that one of the plates had been used before us and not washed. It was full of grease which you could see had been wiped with bread in swirls on the plate. I called over who I presumed was the manager who didnt appologise but said "oh yes I see that" and took it away. When the main course arrived my mums fish and chips was lovely however my Veggie burger was cold and uncooked. When I once again called over the 'manager' he said I dont know why you think it cant be cooked. Its got to be cooked". The giveaway for me was that the burger was cold and the cheese on the top hadnt even melted due to the lack of heat.
I was given an alternative which was nice but I am appaled at the lack of remorse from the so called manager and this was reflected in the bill. Not even a free drink! I wont be returning and I wont be recommending this place to anyone.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Julie R
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If Fawlty towers did restaurants, this is what it would be like....awful!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Waitress/hostess with an attitude like an undertaker. Had to stand up and ask to be waited on after being seated. Slow service doesn't begin to describe the wait for a drink or food. When it did come, the drink order as wrong. The food would have been acceptable in a 3rd world country school cafeteria, but not in a public restaurant. In retrospect, I should have followed my instincts and left when I saw the hostess attitude. STAY AWAY!

• Visited January 2013
guy l, Manager at What's Cooking?, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear jw2591,

I was deeply saddened to read your review, at What's Cooking? we pride ourselves on having friendly, professional and attentive staff so as you can imagine, I was shocked to hear you found them to be anything else but this.

With regards to the food, it is very rare that we receive negative feedback; many of our dishes have been house favourites for 35 years and this, combined with the passion and ability of our kitchen staff is reflected in many of the reviews posted here on TripAdvisor.

However, I am sorry to hear that neither to your liking and I would not like to start making excuses for the staff on shift that day. Instead, I would like to invite you to give us another go. If you are ever nearby feel free to contact us on 0151 707 2023 and I'm sure you will leave having experienced the food and service that many of our customers have come to expect every time.

Kind regards,

Suzy (Manager)
London, United Kingdom
“What's Cooking, Liverpool - basic, reasonable, nothing special”
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I went to What's Cooking, Liverpool Albert Docks, with my two sisters before a concert on a Friday.

It's a diner-style restaurant, well presented with bright decor. Easy enough to find if you look at the Albert Docks maps.

Our welcome was a little brusque and service not particularly quick. The main menu had quite a lot of choice, but we went for the pre-show menu - £15 for a starter, main and drink (small glass of wine or half a lager). There were about five choices for each course.

For starters we shared the ribs (nice but super-sweet), the chilli in a taco bowl (pretty good) and the chicken wings (bit of an odd taste that we couldn't identify). They were all quite small but we didn't mind for the price.

For mains, two of us had the feta, mushroom and red onion pizza. Nice enough and a decent size but ridiculously cheesy. The other sister had melted chicken and chips, which was okay. The wine that came included was pretty much inedible, but the deal was so cheap, I didn't bother complaining. We ordered some bread on the side which they forgot to bring, but we reminded them and they brought it then left it off the bill, which was fair.

We also had one of their sharer cocktails, which came in a treasure chest so was a nice gimmick. It was £20, a bit steep but comparable to three single ones at £7 each and had a decent amount if alcohol in.

Overall, it was decent enough for a pre-event meal but I wouldn't go there otherwise. Even though it seemed to be independent, it felt like a chain restaurant (not a good thing!). The service was ok but left a lot to be desired - they claimed the pre-event menu would be served fast to get you to the event on time, but our meals weren't served particularly quickly and we had to wave a waiter over to order in the first place. So go there if you want cheap and basic, or if the nicer places are booked.

Perth, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place to eat!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

We visited 'What's Cooking' as a family and from the minute we walked in we could not fault the place! The decor and atmosphere were very appealing and the staff were extremely helpful and attentive. The lunch menu was excellent value for money, the food was beautifully presented and very tasty! I would not hesitate to recommend here to anyone!

guy l, Manager at What's Cooking?, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Carothorp,

First of all, I would like to thank you for posting such a great review! It is always refreshing when our customers take the time to share their positive What's Cooking? experiences with us and the TripAdvisor community. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your lunch and that the service, food and atmosphere were all to your liking!

Thank you again and come back soon!

Suzy (Manager)