“Can't fault this excellent restaurant”
Review of What's Cooking?

What's Cooking?
Ranked #93 of 1,833 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Bar, Grill
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Bus service directly to the Albert Dock one minute walk to restaurant front entrance
Description: The award winning, What's Cooking?, sits on the historic Albert Dock overlooking Liverpool's Three Graces. Conjuring a menu compiled of local sources, What's Cooking? offers a mixture of Mexican and American cuisine. Serving excellent food since 1978, this laid back restaurant brings a contemporary décor to its Grade I-listed setting at Queen Elizabeth Hall.
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I ate at this restaurant on the 17th November 2012. We both had the £15 arena deal, chilli bowl starter and serloin steak main. I have to say the food was beautiful, in fact the steak was one of the best I've ever had.
The service too was excellent. I guess you just can't please some people.
Well done what's cooking, keep hip the superb service.

guy l, Manager at What's Cooking?, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Lovely and refreshing to receive such a positive review after two such negative ones! Thank you! I am so pleased to hear that you had a lovely time with us and enjoyed the food and we look forward to welcoming you next time.

Sam (Manager)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,313)

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I've just recently visited this establishment and never am I going to again.

The waiters and waitresses didn't seem interested in me or my wife. The food was served cold and was microwaved as I could tell.

The food was served on a cold plate so that meant the food would loose heat quickly.

I assume the food is frozen and when the night could not get any worse an angry doofus was screaming away in the kitchen.

One ok point was the atmosphere that night was enjoyable.

Do not visit!!!

3  Thank PeterPhillip
guy l, Manager at What's Cooking?, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Dear Sir,

I was sorely disappointed to read your review. I apologise sincerely that you had such a negative experience with us here at What's Cooking? Firstly, I can only express my shock that you received such lack-lustre service. We train our staff to a high standard and expect a warm and friendly level of service at all times.

As for the food: the majority of our dishes are served on warm plates but of course this depends on the dish. I am sorry that you felt your dish would have been more appropriately served on a warm plate. I must pull you up on one point re: the frozen food. All restaurants use freezing to preserve certain foods, as if everything was kept fresh, we would need to be accepting large deliveries of stock every day, which is simply not practical. Anything that we do store in a freezer is thoroughly defrosted to health and safety standards. Many things in our kitchen are prepared fresh daily. However, I apologise that the food was not to your liking.

As for the kitchen staff, there is no excuse for this kind of behaviour and I will be dealing with the relevant staff members in due course.

I am glad that you were pleased with the atmosphere and I would very much like to welcome you back to What's Cooking? to give us another chance. If you would be so kind as to take the time to email us or to give me a call, I would like to take some more details from you about the time and day that you dined with us and also to offer you an incentive to return. All our contact details can be found on our website.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Previously this restaurant had been a venue of choice when we have visitors coming to Liverpool. Something however has sadly gone very wrong in the training (or lack of it) with both bar and waiting staff. With the exception of the maître d all other staff we encountered were rude and our waiter directly insulted two of our guests. Despite the best efforts of the maître d to apologise the start of our evening had effectively been ruined. We therefore took the maître d's advice and went to another venue. There are far better restaurants at Albert Dock than What's Cooking - so we suggest you try Lounge at Mann Island - lovely food and superior service.

2  Thank cheeky2xist

Dear Sir,

Firstly, as the "maitre d'" who dealt with your complaint on the evening in question, I must express my disappointment that you still felt it necessary to post this review. I always feel that complaints are best dealt with in the restaurant and left at the door - it leaves both parties feeling lighter! I felt my apology on the night, the offer to serve you myself and my numerous attempts to convince you to stay for your meal were sufficient. However, I understand your frustrations and your desire to express them in a public forum.

After the incident, I spoke individually to all three members of staff that were involved. I have full faith in my staff and their honesty and all three insisted that they had not been rude to any of your party and could not understand how their behaviour could even be misconstrued as rude. Our bartender insisted that she was warm and friendly, smiling and helpful. Your waitress assured me that with the little interaction she had had with you in the short time you had spent in the restaurant, that she was also friendly and helpful as she always is. She did mention that she realised that she had come to you too early to take your order but this was simply a mistake as we were busy and she was apologetic. Finally, the waiter that took your order had only attempted to make a joke and have a little bit of fun, but he too was apologetic and I understand, apologised directly to you and your party on learning that you were offended. I did discuss with him that we need to judge our customers before playing with a certain kind of humour. I do apologise that you found his jokes offensive.

The fact is, at What's Cooking?, we always attempt to deliver a warm and friendly level of service and we offer this to all our customers. We do not offer silver service but we do not pretend to. We try to create a relaxed, laid-back atmosphere without pretension.

I would urge you to give us another chance. If you would like to discuss the matter further, I would certainly be happy to hear you out. You can contact me on 0151 707 2023 or email us at liverpool@whats-cooking.co.uk.

Samantha (Manager)

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Visted this place with my partner early on a friday night as once she had been told it was a nice place. The food was lovely. The service was great. Very helpful, always asked how the food was and if werent happy they would be happy to sort. I had the ribs to start and they were delightful followed by a cheese burger again was very nice. I liked the way it looked and felt with the big booths with teles in and that. We have found it was the perfect way to start the night as good value good food and got us in the mood for drinking and great cocktails.

1  Thank 60pjx
guy l, Manager at What's Cooking?, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

Wow! Thank you so much for such a lovely review. It always puts a smile on my face to read that our customers have enjoyed our food and to top if off, have been well looked after. I'll be sure to pass on your glowing comments to the staff that worked that night. We look forward to welcoming you again some time!

Thanks,

Reviewed November 12, 2012

went to whats cooking before seeing lionell ritchie in concert after trying lots of resteraunts which were all booked up the staff at whats cooking managed to find us a table we were made to feel so welcome very friendly staff we didnt feel rushed even though it was so busy we had a nice meal and some lovely cocktails will defo go again

guy l, Manager at What's Cooking?, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear Gill,

Thank you so much for such a lovely review! I am so pleased that you had such a positive experience with us at What's Cooking? I'm glad that we were able to accommodate you as it was indeed a very busy night! We look forward to seeing you next time.