“What's with the attitude?”
Review of What's Cooking?

What's Cooking?
Ranked #91 of 1,697 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Bar, British, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Bus service directly to the Albert Dock one minute walk to restaurant front entrance
Description: The award winning, What's Cooking?, sits on the historic Albert Dock overlooking Liverpool's Three Graces. Conjuring a menu compiled of local sources, What's Cooking? offers a mixture of Mexican and American cuisine. Serving excellent food since 1978, this laid back restaurant brings a contemporary décor to its Grade I-listed setting at Queen Elizabeth Hall.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“What's with the attitude?”
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Previously this restaurant had been a venue of choice when we have visitors coming to Liverpool. Something however has sadly gone very wrong in the training (or lack of it) with both bar and waiting staff. With the exception of the maître d all other staff we encountered were rude and our waiter directly insulted two of our guests. Despite the best efforts of the maître d to apologise the start of our evening had effectively been ruined. We therefore took the maître d's advice and went to another venue. There are far better restaurants at Albert Dock than What's Cooking - so we suggest you try Lounge at Mann Island - lovely food and superior service.

2 Thank cheeky2xist
guy l, Manager at What's Cooking?, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Sir,

Firstly, as the "maitre d'" who dealt with your complaint on the evening in question, I must express my disappointment that you still felt it necessary to post this review. I always feel that complaints are best dealt with in the restaurant and left at the door - it leaves both parties feeling lighter! I felt my apology on the night, the offer to serve you myself and my numerous attempts to convince you to stay for your meal were sufficient. However, I understand your frustrations and your desire to express them in a public forum.

After the incident, I spoke individually to all three members of staff that were involved. I have full faith in my staff and their honesty and all three insisted that they had not been rude to any of your party and could not understand how their behaviour could even be misconstrued as rude. Our bartender insisted that she was warm and friendly, smiling and helpful. Your waitress assured me that with the little interaction she had had with you in the short time you had spent in the restaurant, that she was also friendly and helpful as she always is. She did mention that she realised that she had come to you too early to take your order but this was simply a mistake as we were busy and she was apologetic. Finally, the waiter that took your order had only attempted to make a joke and have a little bit of fun, but he too was apologetic and I understand, apologised directly to you and your party on learning that you were offended. I did discuss with him that we need to judge our customers before playing with a certain kind of humour. I do apologise that you found his jokes offensive.

The fact is, at What's Cooking?, we always attempt to deliver a warm and friendly level of service and we offer this to all our customers. We do not offer silver service but we do not pretend to. We try to create a relaxed, laid-back atmosphere without pretension.

I would urge you to give us another chance. If you would like to discuss the matter further, I would certainly be happy to hear you out. You can contact me on 0151 707 2023 or email us at liverpool@whats-cooking.co.uk.

Samantha (Manager)

• Polish first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Decent little place, decent food will go back again”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Visted this place with my partner early on a friday night as once she had been told it was a nice place. The food was lovely. The service was great. Very helpful, always asked how the food was and if werent happy they would be happy to sort. I had the ribs to start and they were delightful followed by a cheese burger again was very nice. I liked the way it looked and felt with the big booths with teles in and that. We have found it was the perfect way to start the night as good value good food and got us in the mood for drinking and great cocktails.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank 60pjx
guy l, Manager at What's Cooking?, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Wow! Thank you so much for such a lovely review. It always puts a smile on my face to read that our customers have enjoyed our food and to top if off, have been well looked after. I'll be sure to pass on your glowing comments to the staff that worked that night. We look forward to welcoming you again some time!

Thanks,

Sam (Manager)
“very friendly”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

went to whats cooking before seeing lionell ritchie in concert after trying lots of resteraunts which were all booked up the staff at whats cooking managed to find us a table we were made to feel so welcome very friendly staff we didnt feel rushed even though it was so busy we had a nice meal and some lovely cocktails will defo go again

• Visited November 2012
guy l, Manager at What's Cooking?, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Gill,

Thank you so much for such a lovely review! I am so pleased that you had such a positive experience with us at What's Cooking? I'm glad that we were able to accommodate you as it was indeed a very busy night! We look forward to seeing you next time.

Sam (Manager)
Biddulph, United Kingdom
“Another fantastic meal.”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Ate here with my partner in September. I had mentioned on the phone that it would be my partner's birthday so, if possible, could we have a dock view table. Not only did we have a lovely table with stunning views but the staff had also decorated it with balloons and streamers! It was lovely.
The food was totally delicious and served on very hot plates. The atmosphere was buzzing and the staff extremely attentive and friendly. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone and can't wait to eat there again when next in Liverpool.

Visited September 2012
guy l, Manager at What's Cooking?, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Relaxed33,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive review. I'm so pleased that you had such a good experience with us and that we were able to make you and your partner feel special! That's what we always strive for. We look forward to seeing in the restaurant again soon.

Sam (Duty Manager)
Merseyside
“Sadly , extremely disappointed.”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Expected far better. Booked it as a treat for my wife.

The service was erratic to say the least, we had at least five different waiters/waitresses running our table and the lack of communication led to several blunders. I waited 20 minutes for a cider and after we finished our starter (whilst waiting for the drink) a different waitress who had not been at our table asked "if we were ready for dessert". I had to ask another waiter to get the cider.

Then the bill came and they had undercharged us by £25. We drew it to their attention and they appreciated it but it was the final reflection of the fairly slap dash nature of how the place seemed to be run.

I had a burger and mozarrella sticks from the 3 for £20 menu. Reasonable value and for those prices the food was OK.

A huge shame. From what others say they must have had an off night with us. "Happy Birthday" seemed to get a regular airing as well.

There are too many other good well run restaurants in Liverpool for me to suggest a visit to this place.

• Visited November 2012
guy l, Manager at What's Cooking?, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Mr Faulkner,

I was very disappointed to hear that you had such a negative experience at What's Cooking? I offer my sincere apologies. There is no excuse for the erratic service that you received and I can assure you that this is not business as usual for us. We expect a very high standard from our staff and I will be raising the issues you have highlighted at our upcoming staff meeting. Please allow us the opportunity to make a mends and welcome you back to our restaurant for another try. If you drop us an email at liverpool@whats-cooking.co.uk, I'd be happy to discuss the matter further.

Sam (Duty Manager)