“Sadly , extremely disappointed.”
Review of What's Cooking?

What's Cooking?
Ranked #92 of 1,792 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Bar, Grill
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Bus service directly to the Albert Dock one minute walk to restaurant front entrance
Description: The award winning, What's Cooking?, sits on the historic Albert Dock overlooking Liverpool's Three Graces. Conjuring a menu compiled of local sources, What's Cooking? offers a mixture of Mexican and American cuisine. Serving excellent food since 1978, this laid back restaurant brings a contemporary décor to its Grade I-listed setting at Queen Elizabeth Hall.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Expected far better. Booked it as a treat for my wife.

The service was erratic to say the least, we had at least five different waiters/waitresses running our table and the lack of communication led to several blunders. I waited 20 minutes for a cider and after we finished our starter (whilst waiting for the drink) a different waitress who had not been at our table asked "if we were ready for dessert". I had to ask another waiter to get the cider.

Then the bill came and they had undercharged us by £25. We drew it to their attention and they appreciated it but it was the final reflection of the fairly slap dash nature of how the place seemed to be run.

I had a burger and mozarrella sticks from the 3 for £20 menu. Reasonable value and for those prices the food was OK.

A huge shame. From what others say they must have had an off night with us. "Happy Birthday" seemed to get a regular airing as well.

There are too many other good well run restaurants in Liverpool for me to suggest a visit to this place.

guy l, Manager at What's Cooking?, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Mr Faulkner,

I was very disappointed to hear that you had such a negative experience at What's Cooking? I offer my sincere apologies. There is no excuse for the erratic service that you received and I can assure you that this is not business as usual for us. We expect a very high standard from our staff and I will be raising the issues you have highlighted at our upcoming staff meeting. Please allow us the opportunity to make a mends and welcome you back to our restaurant for another try. If you drop us an email at liverpool@whats-cooking.co.uk, I'd be happy to discuss the matter further.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We ate here before a night out in liverpool. The food was delicious and reasonably priced with good sized portions. The customer service was excellent and there is a good choice of cocktails. I would defiantly recommend this place!

Dear fairy_nic,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such a glowing review. It always puts a big smile on my face to read that our customers have had a positive experience at What's Cooking? I hope we can welcome you again soon!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

What's cooking really surprised us.. From the Albert Dock side this restaurant looks like a standard American Diner.

The food was fantastic, the staff were really friendly, the music was brilliant the ambience of the place is fun and friendly and we would definitely return. x

Dear Nettie68,

I was so pleased to read your lovely review. Thank you so much for such positive feedback. We're so glad that you enjoyed your experience at What's Cooking? and we look forward to welcoming you back to our restaurant very soon.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

This Restaurant serves excellent food and first class service. The staff are quite attentive to make sure your meal and the service is high quality.

You are made to feel special which is what I like. The view from the restaurant: you have the dock on one side and the view across the front of The Albert Dock to Liverpool One.

This Restaurant is definitely worth a visit.

guy l, Manager at What's Cooking?, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Dear Macca48,

Thank you so much for your wonderfully positive review! We love hearing that our customers are happy with our food and service. We're so glad you had such a positive experience with us and look forward to welcoming you back to our restaurant next time.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Service was very good and staff were very friendly. Food excellent. You get what you pay for. Would highley recommend this restaurant as it doesn't rip you off, like alot of other restaurants in Iiverpool.

guy l, Manager at What's Cooking?, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Hi Caroline,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us such a lovely, positive review. We're glad you enjoyed the food and that the service was good! We look forward to welcoming you to What's Cooking? again.