“Cavern Lovers”
Review of Beech Mount Hotel

Beech Mount Hotel
Ranked #75 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Wanted to visit the Cavern Club whilst in nearby Cheshire so needed overnight accommodation. What a mistake choosing the Beech Mount Hotel. Describes itself in advertising and on the hotel boarding as Executive Accommodation. This is pure fiction, it's closer to being a YMCA but massively over-priced.
Small almost claustrophobic bedroom and bathroom; needed decorating badly and re-plastering a damaged wall; shower a joke; noisey; overlooked by houses at the back; tricky parking though we did manage to get on site eventually, the alternative being on the street in a run down district;

Hotel staff were very friendly, as Liverpuddlians are and breakfast was very good.

Room not ready when we arrived, an hour after the advised time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
BeechMountHotel, Manager at Beech Mount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for your review, it is helpful to know of any issues. As this property is a Grade II listed building, structurally we could not really change the existing room sizes, so a few of our double rooms are smaller than others. The hotel is in a residential area, which has over the last couple of years been part of regeneration project, there are privately owned houses at the back of the property, which is why we have a high hedge growing to offer guests and the property owners privacy. Our Head of House-keeping checks the rooms for damages daily, and we have installed door stops in several rooms to prevent the walls being damaged, by the door handles when the doors are opened, but will investigate which room has the damaged wall. Occasionally when the hotel is busy, the car park does fill up quickly and guest have to park out on the road but unfortunately this unavoidable, and we can only apologise if the guest experienced a problem parking in the car park.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is my only second bad feedback review on tripadvisor. I am not in the habit of leaving bad feedback and find something good out of every situation...so here goes... I only booked this hotel with about three weeks notice. There was very limited choice due to it being the Easter weekend and a conference taking place in Liverpool. I booked two double rooms at a cost of £220. On arrival the staff were so helpful and polite..booking the four of us a taxi into Liverpool for the afternoon and again for the evening as we had tickets for a show. We were told it is hotel policy to pay for the hotel on arrival. I will never ever do this again as it will be my policy to check my room before payment. (If I had seen the rooms prior to paying I would have been making the journey back home late at night). There was a very strange pungent off putting smell on entering the reception area, which should have raised alarm bells. My daughters room was a little better than mine and my husbands. We were in the loft space ( We have loft bedrooms at home too so this would not have been a concern) But on entering my room.. we were all taken aback. The smell of stale cigarettes was truly disgusting. On leaving and entering again after leaving the window open for a couple of hours..I wanted to vomit...the smell was horrid. In a very small space they had placed a wardrobe up against the bed which you could not open to put clothes in...This was on my husbands side along with a desk. My side of the bed had a bed side cabinet..a coffee table and a chair which I had to walk sideways to get past. On the floor on my side was a rug which looked like it had started its early days in the bar area. The decor is in much need of refurbishment..very very shabby. I slept of top of the bed all night as I did not wish to sleep under the sheets and the pillows did not have pillow protectors under the pillow slip..Yuk! I was dressed and ready to leave at 7am and was not bothered about staying for breakfast but thought this was a little selfish. So we all went to breakfast and to my surprise it was a very good breakfast. Cooked or continental, cereals, juice, toast, teas and coffee. The staff on duty in the breakfast room were very helpful and polite. I waited until no other guests were present and went to reception to inform them of the horrid smell in our bedroom and the gentleman was polite and apologised. I cannot and will not recommend this hotel. I FIND IT DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND HOW THEY THINK IT IS ACCEPTABLE TO CHARGE THOSE PRICES FOR ROOMS THAT ARE NOT TO A GOOD STANDARD. I have stayed in many hotels and B & B's which are to a very high standard and do not charge the £120 per room. I was also very amused to find that they had placed on entering the building a Tripadvisor certificate stating this was a good place to stay?! The photographs on the website are not to be believed. And the people who give this hotel an excellent score certainly have not stayed in the rooms that we were allocated. sorry for the rant.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review, here at Beech Mount we strive to offer the best service possible, and would like to respond to this guests review. This property is a Grade II listed property, so structurally we could not change some of the room sizes, and due to this a few of our double rooms are smaller than others. Also we would like to point out that as this is a no smoking hotel we do not have any smoking rooms, we are not sure how the room you stayed had a smell of stale cigarette smoke, as the smoke detectors in all of our rooms are very sensitive and if a guest were to smoke the whole alarm system would activate, but we are investigating the matter and can only apologise if this was the case. As with all hotels are prices are set at supply and demand rates, and as you pointed out Liverpool was very busy over the Easter weekend and a conference was also being held, this made the prices of all the hotels higher, but would like to point out that at quieter times of the year we have rooms for sale for as little as £45.00. per night depending on the date.

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the Beech Mount hotel last night because we were going to a show at the empire theatre.

The hotel itself is like a row of houses that have been made into hotel rooms. These were done to an ok standard and the room was very clean, however I have never stayed in a room that was smaller than my own bedroom and this was. It was quite snug to get around the furniture and the bed.

Also it was a very imaginative 4 star, there was nothing special about this hotel, the bedroom furniture was cheap and didn't fit into the style of the room, looked more like something from an Etap than a 4 star. There was also no door on the shower which meant the bathroom got very wet and leaked out into the main room's floor.

The location wasn't too bad, the lad at reception booked us a taxi to get to Liverpool one which was £4.50 then a black cab cost us just under 6 pounds to get back. This is however in no way walking distance as there are a number of busy roads inbetween.

Overall it was ok, we probably wouldnt return to the hotel again but only because we would look for something more central . Wouldn't believe all the horror stories though, not half as bad as the other reviews make out!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 23, 2013

On walking into this hotel, we knew we were going to enjoy our stay, this hotel has a lovely warm feeling about it, as is kept very clean, The breakfast was very good quality. Taxi into the city centre was approx £5.50., but plenty of buses too if you don't want to get a taxi.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
BeechMountHotel, Public Relations Manager at Beech Mount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you very much for your positive review and I'm glad that you had a good stay. We hope to see you back at Beech Mount Hotel soon.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel is totally mismanaged and they staff blatantly lie to your face. I was supposed to have a room paid and reserved by my radio sponsor for 5 nights. The front desk claimed that they didn't know who I was and no one reserved the room. After several desperate calls and texts, they "found" my reservation. Then after 3 days, they literally threw me out onto the street because they said my room was given to someone else! The radio station had reserved it. I saw proof. But the hotel claimed that they never spoke to them. The truth is that they rented the room for a higher price, which is illegal, so they dumped me. Do NOT go to this horrible place. Besides all of this, the rooms are tiny, the shower is the size of a thimble and nothing works right.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
BeechMountHotel, Manager at Beech Mount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

The management having read this review and investigated matters would like to respond to this review with our version of events. We can confirm that the front desk could not find this guest's reservation at the time, as whoever had made the reservation had booked the room for a guest with a completely different name to this guest.

We also agree that we had to ask this guest to leave after 3 days, this was due to the above booking only being made for 2 days originally and then increased by 1 more night. We would not have been able to accept this booking for 5 nights, as the hotel for that weekend was fully booked.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

i stayed here for two nights recently for a conference in the city.
From the moment i walked in the door i was made welcome by reception staff. Checked in and helped with luggage to my room. Parking was easy in front of hotel in their carpark.
My room was lovely. A single room but with a double bed. Showeroom clean and warm with plenty of towels.
There are two lounges downstairs one with a TV and the other a quiet room udeal for doing any paperwork etc!
Breakfast was good served in a light and airy room with a conservatory added. There was also a small bar with an outside area for warm sunny evenings.
I felt safe and very welcome The forst time i have stayed in a hotel by myself. Looking forward to my next visit

Room Tip: easy to find at the end of M62 in a quiet side road
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jayjay47

Thank you very much for your positive review. We hope to welcome you back to the Beech Mount Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Beech Mount and were disappointing to say the least!
On arriving in our room we were bowled over by the rancid stench pouring through the door (the window had been left ajar to counter act the smell!!) We were aware that we would struggle to find accommodation elsewhere on such short notice and celebrating a special occasion were not about to head home.

The room was tiny, just enough space to manoever around the bed, no view when looking out the window and a bathroom (Shower only) the size of a cupboard with doors that didn't shut!

The water pressure (and temperature) was almost non existent, with a trickle of warmish water providing the most uncomfortable and inadequate cleansing experience.

We eventually found the source of the stench - a six day old prawn sarnie rotting in the bin under a chair!!! (Expiry date on packaging!) and while gagging managed to rid the room of the chemical smell!

Coffee cups were sticky and unwashed. Bed Headboard was broken and moved around constantly creating loud thuds.

Constant sounds of doors slamming as people moved in and out.
Lift was broken - we were on top floor with very many stairs.

Cleaning left something to be desired!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whilst staff were friendly and welcoming, as a couples trip this accommodation was highly inadequate. More suited for single occupancy on a lads night out!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor - check water pressure before unpacking!!!