“Nice home-cooked food”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Cardiff
“Nice home-cooked food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Went to Ma Bo twice while on a trip to Liverpool last week. Although a bit salty, the food has a homely taste to it. Never mind the no-frills decor, it's the food that matters in this authentic restaurant!

• Visited October 2012

• Polish first
Durham, England, United Kingdom
“When in Chinatown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

If you like Chinese food you should like Ma Bo's. It's completely different from your average Chinese restaurant in that the room and décor are very basic, but it has a genuine touch of authenticity. The food is good quality and cheap, and the service is prompt. During our visit (my son and I), we got into conversation with Mrs Wong, the owner. It’s pretty clear that she knows her customers well which probably explains why they keep on coming back. After more years than I care to consider of eating in Chinese restaurants, I cannot recall before having such a good conversation with a member of staff. We will certainly return. NB unlicensed so take your own if required.

• Visited October 2012
5 Thank Les H
Suffolk, United Kingdom
“Liverpool's fab - but Ma Bo is drab...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Well, Firenze, below, has it about right. This is your average greasy spoon, of the kind that I thought had disappeared years ago. I didn't worry too much when the menu was slapped on the table without a word or smile. After all it's the food that counts and Chinese restaurants are not known for their customer service. Sadly the meal was very poor and way overpriced. As for the toilets - let's not go there!

• Visited September 2012
23 Thank NowlookatmeBanburys
Derbyshire, England
“Simple restaurant, great consistent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have been eating at this small family restaurant in Chinatown, Liverpool for over 30 years. Admittedly, my visits have been well spaced apart since I no longer live there but whenever I'm in town and want a great chinese meal this is where I head. As I already stated, the restaurant is small with very basic decor and furniture - but clean. The food is very good. The menu is not the most extensive but it arrives quickly and hot, brought by polite, efficient staff.
There are bigger, brasher chinese restaurants in and around Chinatown but if you want simple, well prepared and tasty chinese food without the trimmings, then this is the place to go.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank fivegoldstars
Derby, United Kingdom
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

Went here due to trip advisor reviews and wasn't very impressed. The actual 'restaurant' looks very much like a small greasy spoon cafe, really not somewhere I'd choose to eat in, but I put the appearance aside as I was expecting some really nice food. My expectations weren't met. Food was OK, but nothing special, and if you've got the whole of Liverpool to pick a restaurant from then I really don't see why you'd go here.

• Visited June 2012