“Average”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Liverpool
Description: Puschka opened in an old Georgian town house at 16 Rodney Street on the edge of Liverpool's Georgian quarter in 2001 and is one of only a handful of independent restaurants in the city. “With its cosy cushions and wonderful food & service, this funky bohemian restaurant is the kind of place that you do not want to leave”. The Guardian: 'Best Places to Eat in England'.
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

The early evening menu, although good value for money as it includes a glass of wine, was just a bit disappointing. No salt or pepper on the tables so you'd expect the food to be well seasoned but sadly it was all a bit bland. Home made bread was good, and the wine was nice, but wouldn't go back in a hurry for those alone. Having visited some time ago and enjoyed a slice of delicious treacle tart, I opted for it again. This time it was just a bit stodgy. Hopefully it was just an off day but I'll never know!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Had Booked this restaurant for my daughters and I after hearing good reviews. Mine and my daughters food came out stone cold. Told the waiter, who was nothing but apologetic. But by the time it came back out, my 2nd daughter had nearly finished her meal. So had been left to eat on her own. We are not a family to make a big deal of this, but when the bill came and had no discount or any kind of favour we had to say something. Only for the waiter to ask the women in charge whether they could offer us something in exchange for our ruined meal, for her to shake her head right infront of us was ridiculous for such I high end restaurant. At the end of the day, if we are prepared to go out and have an expensive meal, it isn't the money I am bothered about. It is the way the restaurant values the customers experience that counts. And at this restaurant, it did not count. Good food ruined by 1 chefs mistake and the staffs terrible response to it.

1  Thank Kathrbb
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Lovely relaxed atmosphere, excellent staff and deliciously different food. Yes, a pricey night out but definitley the place for a special occasion or a treat!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Lovely food, cant complain at the price. It might be small inside but what it lacks in space it makes up for in service, atmosphere and food. Loved all the little touches like cucumber in the water and unusual candles. Dined her twice now and recommended to all the family. (The goats cheese is amazing).

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Puschka has been on my list of places to go for a long time and staying over for the May Bank Holiday gave me the opportunity and I'm glad I did.
The external decor belies the interior which has lots of cushions and a purple colour scheme. I'm glad to say that lighting was turned up , a welcome change from so many restaurants turning the lights down so that you can hardly see the food you are about to eat.
Service was good throughout, very friendly explained the menu where it was required and were attentive.
The food was good. do not go expecting fine dining even though prices are high for Liverpool but expect good ingredients cooked well. This of course is where the money goes. Betweeb us there was Cod and Sea Bass, both very fresh, cooked well and of a decent size and flavour. There was also lamb which again was well sourced and flavourful. Cheeses were all artisan, well chosen and served with crackers whist for me the standout was a brioche with raspberry that would not have been out of place in a more formal setting as was the poached pear others had. Good choice of wines, especially at the lower end of the price list.
If I lived more local it would be a place that I'd visit on a regular basis, i'd make certain to book though as this is a popular venue, all tables were taken up and that is fairly common.