“Really nice!”
Review of The Barge on the Brayford - CLOSED

The Barge on the Brayford
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Barge on the Brayford open all day, every day for meals or just a drink. Two floating barges in the heart of the city serving continental cuisine, fish, steak shellfish, chicken and vegetarian. BBQ, paella sangria and Pimms parties during summer months (weather permitting). Traditional Sunday lunches, wedding receptions, graduation, christenings, Christmas parties and private functions.
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Staff were friendly and the atmosphere was great. My food wasn't as tasty as I was expecting but it was cooked well and the rest of the group I was with enjoyed themselves so would definitely try again.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

i like the idea of eating on a barge in the brayford, however inside was rather cramped. we was seated at the rear door and had to move my chair in for people to pass! a huge party of 10 plus came into dine and tables moved to accommodate them which left a tiny space for fellow diners to squeeze through! the service was ok, but i was dissapointed with the waitress and her lack of knowlage on the menu. the food itself was good, but extremely expensive. i could have had the same meal else where at half the price and just as good. a real shame.

1  Thank vicky h
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This has got to be a restaurant to visit, the staff,especially the food and the hostess were fantastic, this is a definite choice if we return to Lincoln, many thanks

Reviewed October 22, 2012

A copy of my letter of complaint sent to the restaurant.....
Myself and my girlfriend had a meal in your restaurant on Saturday night. The staff were attentive, service was good, and the atmosphere was nice, although one less table on the upper deck would have made it less cramped. The food was pretty poor though. Not wanting to taint the occasion we paid the bill and left, but we really should have asked to see the manager and complain about the quality, portions and cost.

For a starter we shared seafood platter – The muscles were very undersized. There was a watery white wine sauce that had been poured over over everything, which made it all taste more or less the same, and made the whitebait soggy. With the exception of the 2xprawns it was all pretty flavourless.

For main I had Cajun Sea bass (filleted) - The fish was more like mush, certainly no texture, and very little flavour to be found on the bits that hadn't been completely drowned by the flood of cajun sauce on top, I literally couldn’t see the fish without scraping it off. Also I didn’t see on the menu that opting for the fillet, rather than whole meant receiving only half a fish. Either it was (a)filleted by a complete novice,(b) I only received half a fish, or (c)the fish was severely undersized to begin with. This was served with 3x new potatoes, and two lettuce leaves. £22 not so well spent.

My girlfriend had the crayfish tails. When it arrived, it consisted of a plateful of creamy sliced new potatoes (tasty, but cheap as chips), these were garnished with 4x crayfish tails. We have eaten whole lobster is seafood restaurants on the south coast for this money. £30 not so well spent.

We decided to skip the desserts.

Certainly from a seafood point of view you menu seemed somewhat lacking with nothing "special" to be found. The soup on offer was vegetable. No lobster. No shell fish except for the undersized muscles, lemon sole was unavailable, as was something else. Not such a good range good for a restaurant that claims to specialise in seafood.

The bill came to about £90 which included a £15 bottle of wine. Unfortunately It really was the kind of quality you'd expect to receive in a pub on a 2for1 deal, with bill coming to no more than £40 with drinks.

Needless to say we were somewhat disappointed.

4  Thank Ian383
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We arrived on a busy Saturday night without a booking & it was by sheer luck that we got a table for 2. The atmosphere was lively & all the staff were very cheerful & attentive. The food was delicious ... we highly recommend the seafood platter & steak.

2  Thank LynneBarnsley