“Ample size & tasty too”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Ample size & tasty too”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I only had 1 hour for lunch & decided to duck in here for a quick bite (as I was in the area).
I mentioned that my time was limited, & the friendly waitress said that I would have ample time to enjoy a main course & maybe even a starter or desert too.

The lunch menu I chose from was extremely good value, as you could (if desired) have 3 courses for under £13 (+ drinks). I opted for a starter of Chicken liver parfait, & the Pie of the day for a main course.

The starter arrived within minutes of ordering & was genorous in size & tasted very nice indeed. The Main course of Chicken, ham & leek pie was presented with a side dish of vegetables. The pie was majestic & towered over the accompanying mash potato. The only slight disappointment is once you break the puff pastry open, you are left looking at a large void, as the meat of the pie sits in a dish at the bottom (effectively 50% of the pie is empty!). However, I did over-hear someone order the same pie but requesting a short-crust top instead (which is what I will do, if I visit again). Anyway, the pie filling was piping hot & tasted fine & as a whole meal it was of ample size to easily fill me up.

The whole (slightly rushed) experience was very well handled by the waitress, & she was very polite at all times. Hopefully next time I will be able to visit in the evening with the better half, & be able to fully sample the A-la carte menu at a more leisurely pace.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Dirk L

• Polish first
Lincoln
“One of the best restaurants in Lincoln”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We went for a early bite to eat, and were lucky enough to be early for the early evening offer. We choose to have a bottle of Claret - I would have liked it to have been opened in front of us, but it tasted and perfect. We both had the chicken liver parfait, perfect with toast and salad, just GORGEOUS!
For our main we both then had the pork, mushroom and vegetable pie OUTSTANDING, great portion and the mash and side vegetables were perfect.
As the desserts were only £2 more on the offer we choose the apple crumble, nuts and ice cream and my fiancé had the treacle tart, again perfect.

We had a fantastic time, great service and gorgeous food!

• Visited July 2014
Chris G, Owner at Browns Pie Shop, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Mark and Sarah
Thank you so much for your lovely comments on your meal with Us. It is always good to hear that our customers have enjoyed their time with us. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
“Lunch Deal”
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

My family and I came to Browns Pie Shop for the lunch menu.

I was delighted with the old style building and thought it was very quirky.

I had the French onion soup to start and I can honestly say I haven't had soup that delicious before! We all had the pie of the day which was minced beef. I was a little disappointed on not being able to choose any other pie but understood. The pie was lovely, tasty and had hot plates.

The staff were very friendly and never made us feel rushed or didn't leave us too long. The only thing I wish was not being sat close to other diners. However, I know that the building is old and oddly shaped so I completely understood.

Great price for homely food!

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Delicious”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Went on a busy Saturday night with a party of 7. We had booked in advance which was essential as they were very busy. We were seated in the cellar....mind your head! Which had a great atmosphere. I shared a starter of mussels with a friend, with generous portions there was plenty for two of us. For my main course I chose whole plaice. This was the best plaice I have ever had.
Portion size is generous.....none of us had room for a dessert. Service was excellent.

• Visited June 2014
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Perfect pies”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Visited for lunch in late June 2014.

We were seated in the small basement room, it was cosy, and got quite full with other customers who were rather noisy but obviously this cannot be helped and did not detract from the quality of the pies.

We ordered a lamb, redcurrant ad rosemary and a beef and stout pie. Both came very promptly and were absolutely delicious. Very generous portions, lovely pastry, good quality, well cooked and seasoned meat. Veg was lovely. The one down side was the mashed potato which I'm sure was instant mash. I have no problem with instant mash, but with a meal of this quality and price I would have expected real mash.

Despite this, still highly recommended

• Visited June 2014
Chris G, Owner at Browns Pie Shop, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Thank you so much for your positive comments on your meal with us here. I just want to assure you that the mashed potato you make comment to is certainly not instant Smash - we go to great pains to source the correct potatoes for our dishes to ensure that a light fluffy mash is delivered on to the plate. If you are local to Lincoln, please make yourself known to us and we will endeavor to show you how we produce our lovely mash. We look forward to seeing you soon.