“Damon's does exactly what it says on the tin!”
Review of Damon's

Damon's
Ranked #150 of 454 Restaurants in Lincoln
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: All the restaurants have fully trained General Managers, Assistant General Managers, General Kitchen Managers, Duty Managers and Supervisors. All our managers started as juniors and through their hard work and commitment, have been promoted to their current positions. Damons is acclaimed for our ability to serve the finest menu selections including American style breakfast, superior quality ribs, chicken, prawns, steak and our unique loaf of onion rings. We pride ourselves on being a family friendly restaurant and have a large variety menu for children up to 12 years of age. We also cater for any parties no matter how big or if there are just 2 of you, you will all receive the same warm welcome. With many fantastic offers such as the birthday promotion, kids eat free, half price cocktails and special combo meals, and over 60's discount there is always something for everyone.
Knighton, Wales
“Damon's does exactly what it says on the tin!”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We visited on a midweek late lunch time and Damon’s was still busy. It is clearly a popular local regular haunt. This makes sense as food is served at reasonable prices from early morning to late evening - and most people (us included) have a weakness for tasty, mostly pretty unhealthy, guilty pleasure, American style diner food from time to time, which is exactly what Damons specializes in! The atmosphere is a little like that found at some cinema/theatre restaurants - film posters and hollywood star photos on the walls, a cocktail bar (mostly for show) etc.

Our welcome at the desk was understated to say the least(!) but things improved as our waitress was cheerful and friendly. We both chose all-day breakfast style meals. I had the corned beef hash (reasonably good), my wife the sausages (average) - both came with eggs (any style), mushrooms (completely tasteless & almost unrecognizable), toast & preserves and, the star attraction, some very nice herb flavoured ‘roast’ potatoes. The meal really was exactly the one you would expect. It was very average, 3 star, but still one of those experiences you would go back and do again without taking too much convincing! Having lived in The States I know, as will many many others, that Damons is not very authentic ‘American’. For some reason none of the American diner chains have ever ventured here and recreated the real thing which actually tends to be a far far better quality. I think they would have cleaned up in the UK but I suspect Damons are cleaning up in Lincoln anyway! There must be some really good independent American diners out there - we have never really found any first class ones. Recommendations please Tripadvisors!

(4 other in-area reviews left on TripAdvisor from our stay in Lincolnshire if you think that they may be useful to you)

West Hallam, England, United Kingdom
“Treated like I'm stupid!!!”
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

The meal was nothing to get excited about, we had a chicken wing and skins platter to start, the chicken wings were bland and barely coated and the skins were orange and greasy. I then had a rib and pork loin combo. The ribs were fine, that is what they do afterall, the pork was so dry it was almost powdery and the nice proper potato fries have been replaced with overcooked McCains southern fries. Oh and my sons salad was a layer of lettuce, bit yellowy, with two rings of onion and a tomato. No pepper or cucumber like it used to have.

Then dessert.....
I shouldn't really, but the Banoffi Cream Pie was so lovely last time I had it, it was calling my name. Last time, it was a gooey, moussy affair with lashings of lovely creamy ice cream. This time it was a frozen solid portion of the dessert served on the frozen plate it had sat in the freezer on with a blob of ice cream in a puddle of milk. It was so frozen, even stabbing it with the spoon forcibly barely left a mark. Assuming it was a mistake I asked the waitress to be told it comes frozen as does the Hanky Panky pie apparently. It's only a few months since I had the lovely moussy version, but questioning myself I rechecked the menu assuming I'd missed the bit where it says it comes frozen. No, not me then. The waitress offered to get it defrosted but I didn't want it microwaving, it would have come back as sludge with all the different textures. She took it away still reiterating that that is how it comes but saying she would tell the manager. He comes over to tell me the same!! I again explain how nice it was when served properly in the good old days to be told its always been served frozen!!!! But he apologised for my disappointment that it wasn't as I thought it would be!! Like the only thing at fault here is my level of expectation!! We've been going to Damon's for 20 years, despite the 108 mile round trip to get there. Well that was our last visit and I'll be updating everyone I've ever recommended to it as well. Sort it out Damons, you had a good thing going there for a while. We used to say the Lincoln restaurant was a real cut above the one in Derby that didn't last five minutes but it appears to be heading the same way.

durham
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I have been eating at damons and staying in the motel for over 20 yrs so for this trip never thought to look at the reviews! Wish I had! The motel was fine there is refurb work going on but it didn't bother us we were asked if we wanted to add breakfast on at a reduced cost so we did.
We went over to the rest for the half price cocktails and chicken wings. I was pleased the cocktails were half price as they tasted more like children's juice drinks. The chicken wings were smothered in salt which is maybe a ploy to get you to drink more poor cocktails.
Later in the evening we went back over to the restaurant for our booked meal we waited for about 15 mins and was shouted through. As a couple we we pushed on one of the very small tables cramped in between two 4 sweater tables. I am a petite size 6 but felt like my backside was on their table as I tried to squeeze into my seat. The restaurant was full so very noisy and music could be heard squealing in the background. Unlike other reviews the waitress was very pleasant. I noticed the menus were now plastic laminated ones abit like you get in a cheap cafe! The little touches like the wooden bread board have gone.
We had the potato skins for starters which were filled with thick cheap bright orange cheese with the grease running all over the plate.
Main course was adequate but have had nicer chicken in nandos for half the price.
The red wine I managed two sips.
We left the rest disappointed but was hoping for something better for breakfast!
Wish we hadn't bothered! I ordered the omelette with cheese , herb pots and mushrooms. When it came it was a perfect circle folded in half not sure whether it was a frozen pre made or microwaved but it was like rubber with a thick layer of bright orange cheese in the middle . Had 2 mouthfuls and gave up so tried the potatoes which were covered in salt and a chemically tasted powder! Vile and even the mushrooms tasted salty. My partner had the full breakfast with poached eggs which weren't made fresh, they were small round rubber discs! The meat also tasted salty. The waiter asked if everything was alright and said the food wasn't good he seemed embarrassed and asked if I wanted anything else but by this time I had had enough. I couldn't believe the difference in the standard of food until I started other reviews.
I had stayed in the hilton in Sheffield the night before and paid less for B and B than damons and it was excellent. I think it will be a long time before I return and even then might just stay in the motel and go into lincoln for food.

• Visited September 2013
“Not a patch on what it was but still very good in most areas.”
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Having been a customer of Damons for over 20 years, I have to agree with the majority of recent reviews that emphasise the decline in the food, service and overall experience. We have been disappointed by the size of the portions and what appears to be major cost cutting throughout. While I don't really care if my bread roll comes in a basket or what butter they use, I am bothered when the portion size of the ribs wouldn't fill up a five year old. However on today's visit, it appeared that the management may have actually read some of the reviews as we had a great meal. The rib portions were good and the chicken wings were crispy and covered in tangy buffalo sauce. The fries were their usual dry and salty but this has been the case for a number of years. The staff member, Lindsey, was very attentive and helpful and I have no complaints with the service. I ordered my usual ice cream for dessert as I have always rated this as the best ice cream to find that it was a totally different texture to normal and lacking in flavour. On speaking with the manager about this he stated that the suppliers have changed the mixture and it was not down to Damons. I do feel that Damons are certainly resting on their laurels and while the restaurant is still packed everyday they appear to think that this is satisfactory. However there will come a time when the regular customers say enough is enough and go elsewhere.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“on a slippery slope”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I took the family for lunch at Damons as I had not been there in ages as I never really rated the place other than they did nice ribs, and boy has it gone downhill, you cannot hold a conversation because of the noise, you are sat on the knee of the people on the next table they are so close together and the food was bland and tasteless. I now know how a battery hen feels. The service was rushed, the place was stuffy I was please to get out.

However, I hate to leave a totally negative review so I will close by saying the toilets were clean and quiet