“Enjoyable stay”
Review of Orchard House

Orchard House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lincoln
Orchard House
Ranked #43 of 51 Lincoln B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 4, 2011

We had a short break of three nights at the end of February to celebrate my birthday. Our room wasn't en-suite but we had sole use of a bathroom and toilet just across the landing from our bedroom which meant we had a bath as well as a shower and it was fine. The decor in this house is nice and contemporary and it didn't have the tired and shabby look that so many B&B's seem to have. Breakfast is cooked to order and therefore takes a while but its worth waiting for freshly cooked food and there are plenty of cereals, fresh fruit and toast to enjoy in the meantime. Stephen is a lovely, friendly, chatty host and made us feel very welcome. Although the house is on a busy road, the room wasn't noisy and we slept well. Once Stephen had pointed out the short cut into the cathedral quarter of the city centre, it was only about a 15 min (uphill) walk and there is a bus service if you need it. We found some good places to eat - the Barge on Brayford water front and the pie restauarant on Steep Hill are recommended. There are great antique outlets at Hemswell Cliff & Horncastle and Lincoln Castle, Cathedral and Bishops Palace are a must. Get yourself a Time Travel Pass and save on entry fees - well worth it.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HorleyMorley

Reviewed February 18, 2011

Wow. I would definitely recommend this lovely B&B to anyone who needed to be in Lincoln. I don't think I could fault it in any way, and i am a picky person who does mystery shopping as a side-income earner (trained to spot things!). We felt welcomed from just the initial email correspondence about dates, and nothing was too much trouble. Stephen made special arrangements to let us in when we needed to arrive earlier than planned, and was perfectly pleasant about doing so, so that we didn't feel we had inconvenienced him at all (this was a stark contrast to some of the rude emails I had received back from other B&Bs in the area in response to a mere query about room availability!).

The location is brilliant - near enough to walk to the cathedral and castle area within about 5-10 minutes (depending on your pace!), and the 'new' bit of town is not much further than that. We were in room 2, which overlooks the gorgeous garden - can't wait to come back here in the summer when it will be in full bloom, but even in chilly February it was wonderful. The offroad parking was a godsend, and there is plenty of room for a car to each room booked from what we could see. Despite it being a main road, I could barely hear any noise from outside at all, even from the breakfast room which is at the front on the ground floor (and I have batlike hearing!).

The room we were in was decorated beautifully, on a sort of monochrome theme. It was spotless (something very dear to my heart when booking rooms as I am slightly ocd!) and so comfy - I think I had the best two nights sleep I've had in months, if not years. I left from Durham feeling stressed and tired, and emerged from Lincoln 2 nights later feeling relaxed and spoiled! The bath attached to our room (Rm 2) was the biggest most amazing bath I have ever been in (comedy snorkel and mask are provided in the bathroom cupboard!) and my boyfriend would have had trouble getting me out, had he not been engaged in watching football on the flatscreen TV in the bedroom! We both really appreciated the ample supplies of tea, coffee and hot chocolate (fair trade and rainforest alliance!) and although there wasn't a hairdryer in the room, Stephen very cheerily lent me one with no fuss at all.

This is getting rather long now (!) but you hopefully get the idea. The breakfast was in keeping with the rest of our experience: fab! We only had the full english on the second day because we were worried about fitting into our wedding outfits, but Stephen very happily made us scrambled eggs on toast instead - his eggs are as good as my dad's, which is really saying something! The sausages we had on the second morning make me drool to think of them now, and everything was perfectly cooked and served in a very happy and cheery manner. We cannot wait to go back... and apparently Stephen also has a cafe near the castle area, so we'll be off there too to try his cakes! (The Sanctuary!)

If you're going to Lincoln, go to Stephen's Orchard House! :-)

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Veebee1982
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Stayed from Friday until Tuesday with friends from Church to attend the Grapevine 2010 Celebrations. Had a lovely time both at Grapevine and at the Orchard, Stephen was a fab host and did a great brekkie!!!!!! Close to Lincoln city centre and the Cathedral. We had most of the 5 rooms for ourselves and have already prebooked for 2011, Room 3 is mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Booked in for a couple of nights with my family after reading the excellent reviews but was slightly disappointed with the reality. Only 3 out of the 5 rooms have been decorated in the style you see on the website - the other two (twin and single) are rather dated and worn although they were clean and the beds were comfortable. My room had drink making facilities and a TV (no BBC1 or BBC2) but no hairdryer and no books. The atmosphere was very friendly and relaxed and the owner is totally lovely. Excellent breakfast which sets you up for the day. Great location - easy walk to the castle and cathedral. Overall I would definitely recommend Orchard House and would stay there again but a tiny little bit more attention to detail would have made it 10/10.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Saw this on Tripadvisor and was so taken by the photographs, the reasonable room charges I booked for a family reunion. Was a bit worried just in case it didn't please everyone, however, we all loved it. Beautifully appointed, spotlessly clean, great breakfast and a friendly amenable host, Stephen, who gave us loads of tips about the locale. He also told us about the short-cut up to the castle and cathedral which saved us loads of time. If I could give it more stars I would , and I have no hesitation in recommending it, you couldn't get better service in a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 17, 2010

A friendly welcome from mine host Stephen, nothing is too much trouble. A lovely clean house, cosy rooms, great decor and a real home from home. The breakfast is well worth dragging yourself out of bed for ! Ample off-road parking This the 2nd time we've been in the last 4 weeks and will be back again very soon. Thanks for everything Stephen, see you soon.
Richard & Jo

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Very friendly, helpful host. Clean well decorated rooms although the decor might not appeal to everyone!
One review says quiet location but I would disagree with this. Yarborough Road can be quite busy and so Room #1 (Purple!) which looks out over the front can be quite noisy, particularly if you like a window open at night. The back rooms (2 & 3) look out over the garden so are much quieter.
Good breakfasts (although I'm not a fan of plastic packs of cheap marmalade/jam!).
We would have liked a lounge area as we were staying with friends, but these are small complaints really.
The walk to the city centre is about 10mins or so, so not bad. It's a great benefit having on site parking and being able to leave the far there during the day.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family