“Worth a visit”

Lincoln Medieval Bishops' Palace
Ranked #18 of 93 things to do in Lincoln
More attraction details
Owner description: Standing almost in the shadow of Lincoln cathedral, with sweeping views over the ancient city and the countryside beyond, the medieval bishops’ palace was once among the most important buildings in the country. The administrative centre of the largest diocese in medieval England, stretching from the Humber to the Thames, its architecture reflected enormous power and wealth. Explore the site as part of a day out in Lincoln. Guided by our audio tour, see the undercrofted East Hall and also the chapel range and entrance tower built by Bishop William Alnwick, who modernised the palace in the 1430s. Relax and enjoy the unique contemporary Heritage Garden, a haven of peace and tranquility.
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Lovely place for a visit but beware of the steep steps from the Cathedral side! Wonderful grounds and a great history.

All reviews
in 58 reviews
"monk"
"alnwick"

Reviewed January 6, 2013

lived in lincoln for 30 years and first time I have visited, during christmas market time, the atmosphere was heavenly and spiritual. Going to look into celebrating my 60th there in May.

1  Thank M P
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed here for a wedding and it was beautiful ,the building, the room, the location, very clean, excellant food and the staff were super friendly.

However.....we were over charged for a bar bill (didn't realise until on the way home) and were given some locally made cider to taste from the chap organising the wedding. He said it was sold from one of the local shops and told us that we wouldn't be able to buy it the next day as the shop would be closed but they did have two bottles they could sell us for £25 each. I asked if they were making any profit on them to be told "no, not at all" so we bought one.

Low and behold the shop was open the next day and it was sold for £16 a bottle!!!!! I did go back to reception and ask to speak to the person concerned but they were on a day off but it would be reported to the manager.

I wrote an email the next day explaining that we had been over charged for more drinks than we bought and about the chap lying to us, who may I add had joined in the evening reception and had been sat with us.
After five days I had not recieved a reply so contacted them again only to recieve an email saying that the manger would look into it in due course, that was 18 days ago!!!!!

Over all it was an excellant stay, but the lack of manners or indeed the lack of professionalism that has now been shown (after all they've had my money) really disappoints me.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Went during christmas market when it was,as is usual at this time filled with medieval craftspersons. I have been many times and I always find it to be full of old atmosphere, even though it is busy at this time. Very Robin Hoody.