The Castle Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Room Service
Hillcrest(Lincoln)
View Hotel
All reviewsreform restaurantfranklin roomjunior suitecourtyard roomno lifteggs benedictsteep hilllovely hotelcoach houseflights of stairscar parkthe main hotelbreakfast was excellentpubs and restaurantsan ideal locationpowerful showerlovely room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel same time last year (had a lovely time) and decided on the last minute to go again. When we arrived in the Reception area, unfortunately, the low wall outside the Hotel had been mowed down by a lorry, and the man on reception was just finishing off talking to two witnesses. He then proceeded to pick up the phone to call the Police, which is fair enough, but he never once acknowledged us standing there or looked at us while we listened to his whole conversation with the police, he never gestured to us, nothing!!. It is only a small desk and we were the only people there! One of the young girls passed by and checked us in. We were put out, but didn't think too much of it until we came to check out - when the same man was on Reception - my husband asked for the bill and he just said ok, got the sheet out and passed it for signing and asked how we were paying. Total silence while we paid for the room etc., he never once made any conversation or asked us if everything was alright, room stay etc. My husband then told him that the two spot lights were out over the bath and the tap was leaking badly (something that the cleaner surely should have spotted when cleaning the room beforehand, this had made reading whilst having a soak very hard)!! he just said thank you for letting him know and wrote it down. Was really upset by this attitude and came out of the Hotel stunned by the rude service. He had been in the Dining Room that morning during breakfast with all the tables (app 7 in use) (which we had to wait ten mins for toast and 30 mins for full cooked from ordering) and he was polite enough with everyone, but very matter of fact and didn't engage in conversation with anyone, very impersonal. Last time we were there the owner had talked to us and had given us a street map and chatted to us, made us very welcome, and this man had served us in the Bar for lunch and was the same then. We bumped into a couple shopping who had been at breakfast and they said the same, that he hadn't asked them either when they had checked out!! I would go mad if my staff were like that when I had ploughed loads of money into a hotel and refurbishment.

The room |(two bedroom apartment) was lovely with sumptuous bedding, curtaining, design etc, very stylish and my son loved it, it is a lovely apartment to stay in, the only thing that spoilt it were many scuff marks in the rooms from general wear and tear which was a bit irritating and I think a lot of them would have come off with a little Ciff and a wet cloth. The outside lights weren't working which made it very dark to go into the separate entrance down a side passage after Dinner back to the room - all things that should be checked every time it is cleaned I feel.

The young girls working there are all very polite and efficient. We were planning to go back in the Spring to book out a few rooms for a family special birthday weekend, but this really put us off.

So all in all a lovely designed hotel, but this service (for which there is no excuse whatsoever) really spoilt it for us.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank J H
SarahA, Owner at The Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I hope that you can accept my apologies.

I am glad that you have visited the Hotel previously and so have experienced the level of service that we pride ourselves in. It was clearly Paul that was at the Hotel on your earlier visit and both of us as Owners do work most days in the Hotel.
There had been an accident at the Hotel on your arrival but I do apologise with how you were made to feel on check-in. We work hard to make guests feel welcome and their stay valued.

Due to your feedback, changes will be made and I do hope that you will still consider the Hotel for future visits. I apologise for the mis-givings in the Apartment and they have also been addressed.

I am so sorry that you felt like you did when you left as we do genuinely care, we are committed to the Hotel and the Restaurant and enjoy repeat business constantly.

Please do let us know about any intended future stay so that we can do everything possible to ensure the stay is as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

Regards,
Saera

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We booked for 2 nights for the Valentine weekend 15/16th Feb. We also booked a Valentine’s Meal in the Reform Restaurant on Friday night. We were also going to a wedding on the Saturday afternoon.
We had a lovely meal in the Reform Restaurant. The food was excellent, beautifully cooked and presented. All the staff in the hotel were lovely, polite and helpful. So it is unfortunate that we can only give one star to this hotel.
We booked the Castle Hotel well in advance having seen the positive reviews on tripadvisor. We had an email confirmation of our booking for 2 nights, the 15th and the 16th February in an executive double room. On arrival we were greeted by Matt, the Duty Manager, but were told that unfortunately the hotel had double booked our room; another guest, with the same name, had also booked for 2 nights and the hotel was now fully booked.
This mistake obviously caused us some upset when we arrived but we understood that mistakes happen. Matt tried very hard to accommodate us and eventually placed us in a room which was normally used as a single room. We accepted this room and tried to make the best of it, although it was half the size of the room we had booked; we could just squeeze along the side of the bed to get in to it or to get to the bathroom. Matt had spoken to the owners who said we would be given a reduction in price for the room because it was smaller (no favours there then!) and that there would be a free bottle of wine with our dinner (although my wife was charged for her glass of wine!)
The next morning we were told that the hotel could not accommodate us for the 2nd night but Sarah and Paul, the owners, had arranged an alternative at the nearby White Hart Hotel, which we were assured was a nice hotel. The alternative accommodation was a suite but Sarah and Paul would only pay the difference (£20) for the suite which we did not want. We still had to pay the Castle Hotel price for the room at the cheaper hotel.
We were not happy about this but were told there was no alternative. So we had to pack and move our cases to the White Hart. When we arrived in the suite we were horrified. It was not a room or hotel we would ever have chosen. The furniture was shabby and stained. The window was filthy with peeling paint and the view was of a metal fire escape. It was so bad we took photographs. It is not surprising this hotel is rated Number 11 out of 14 in Lincoln!!
We left the White Hart Hotel and went back to the Castle Hotel. We told Matt the White Hart Hotel was totally unacceptable! My wife was very upset at everything that had happened from arriving at the Hotel and finding we had no room, to have been placed in a small room and then moved to a shabby unacceptable place. While we were accepting of mistakes, the White Hart Hotel was adding insult to injury.
We were asked to sit and have a coffee while Matt again spoke to the owners to sort this out. Matt then told us that they had a room available in the hotel after all! So we retrieved our cases and car from the White Hart Hotel. We wasted over 2 hours packing cases and moving back and forth between hotels and were unable to make our planned sightseeing visit to the cathedral.
When we checked out we expected the owners to speak to us or to have provided some gesture of goodwill. However, neither of these happened and, although reluctant, we had to pay the full price of the room. This is not about the money or the cost of the room but the attitude of the owners who neither spoke to us nor offered us any gesture towards our disappointment, upset and wasted time. For this reason the owners deserve nil stars but the staff and chef deserve 5.
If you book into this hotel you will not be disappointed as the staff are lovely, the food is amazing and the rooms are very comfortable. However, if the hotel makes mistakes and your weekend is spoilt, as happened to us, do not expect the owners to speak to you or to respond with any gesture of goodwill or sympathy.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank marym23

Dear Guest,

I appreciate yo taking the time to leave your review but it also very upsetting for a small, privately run Hotel to recieve such a review.
Most guests can see from previous reviews that your experience was not the norm and I feel quite strongly that we did everytjhing within our power to help a difficult situation

Mistakes happen and our Duty Manager had made a mistake with your booking at the time when you rang to alter the existing booking with us. We sourced another Hotel room which we said you were happy with, if you hadn't been happy then we would have looked to re-accommodate a different guest.
The room we sourced for you was a Suite at a cost of £160 (your room with us was priced at £110) which we obviously covered the extra cost for and also greatly reduced the rate of the room on the first night of your stay. You clearly did not like the Suite offered so we did all we could to make you happy and re-allocated a different guest that night - something we would have done immediately if you had not wanted to move to the Suite.

Paul, the other owner of the Hotel, was on-site most of Saturday and stayed Saturday night till 10pm to attempt to see you to talk to you both. We were unable to come to the Hotel on Sunday morning due to a Family Wedding, which was why Paul stayed so long on Saturday to try and catch you. We understand you were also at a Wedding for the day and had to said to staff that there was no point us coming in as you would be out all day. We came anyway.

Our business is extremely important to us and we make every effort to ensure guests leave happy - something we that we are very proud of. In the case of your stay, it would seem that nothing would have made you happy. From reading your other two reviews which are highly negative, I take some solace.

Leaving such a bad review and score can badly affect business and is extremely unfair in this instance.

Regards,
Saera

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Some have stated that the hotel is not easy to find but we aimed for the Cathedral Quarter on the brown tourist signage and came across it. Others have used Greggs postcode and this would also help locate it. There was no parking left at the front of the hotel at 2.30pm so we parked up at the rear, back left space tight against the wall. This left this paranoid parker happy with the situation.

Check-in was very smooth and friendly and we were shown to our room. The stairs and landings were deeply carpeted and warm, a good first impression.

Room 202 was smallish but well decorated and met our needs. The bed was extremely comfortable with quality pillows. The shower space in the bathroom was excellent with a choice of drenching, fine spray or both! No bath and the shelf next to the wash basin could have been better sited to avoid contact a few times during our stay. We could hear talking in 203 and they could probably hear our TV before we turned down the volume.

The bar area next to reception was very tidy but lacked atmosphere or ambience - could do with some softening up IMO. No draught bitters so I chose a bottled real ale and my wife had a medium dry white. Service was again excellent and welcoming. While we were upstairs we had decided on lighter bites in the bar as we had eaten earlier but the bar environment was causing us to reconsider. Before we could ask we were offered a mix and match from both restaurant and bar menus to eat in the restaurant and this sealed the deal. The restaurant was not full on our Monday night so this invitation might not always be the case. The food was excellent as most reviews suggest and we were certainly glad that we ate in. Too many times when we have wandered away from recommended hotel restaurants 'just to get out of the place' we have been disappointed with the fare!

Retiring after dinner to our room the view of the floodlit cathedral tempted us out to walk around it. What a fabulous building in a lovely setting, we returned the next day but the night-time experience is the one I will remember.

Breakfast was very good and when we asked about parking at check-out we were invited to stay where we were until midday, a nice touch.

I feel slightly mean regarding my 4 out of 5 rating but we have stayed in more spacious, quieter and roomier 3*** hotels but if I return to Lincoln to visit the castle I will certainly consider The Castle Hotel for my stay. We were made to feel very welcome by all of the staff, thank you!

Room Tip: 202 had fabulous views of the floodlit cathedral.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lutonlip
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Good hotel in a good location at the top end of the city with some great restaurants on the doorstep. Hotel is boutique type and made to look a bit chic and if anything a bit over the top. Good stocked bar and a great breakfast but all in all average for the price paid £100 (discounted from £125) for a double room. If you can get this for £85 inc breakfast then you would be getting a fair deal. Receptionist (lady) on arrival excellent and friendly.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband treated me to dinner at the Castle hotel the day after my big 50th in January. We had eaten Christmas Day lunch there 3 years ago, before it had been refurbished and before the current chef (from the Cafe Bleu) arrived. We hadn't been disappointed. I wanted fine dining in classy surroundings as a treat! We had a super time! The service was excellent, the food delicious, the Sancerre delightful and the ambience very pleasant; people were having fun without infringing on others. I had no trouble at all with my gluten free diet and could not complain about the after dinner coffee (usually my bugbear). Our 2 course a la carte meal with water, beer, Sancerre and coffee came to £85 which is very reasonable. Can't wait to go back! Just to let you know that the hotel is directly opposite the castle walls and a large car park and it has a cool bar area where I like to go for a sneaky cappuccino.

Room Tip: I haven't personally stayed here but my Auntie did and she has very high standards. She loved it!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple