“Nice Size Hotel”
Review of The Castle Hotel

The Castle Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is very personal and friendly. A good breakfast and really friendly staff throughout. The size is just right and personal service as standard. good sized rooms (or at leasyt mine was)

Definately going back

The position could not be better, easy to get to also.

Room Tip: There,s a pub/club over the road. try not to get a room at the front
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank dharland

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Spnet a weekend here with my husband as a surprise birthday celebration. The suite we stayed in was lovely, lots of room, comfy bed and a great bathroom with double hand basins. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. We had some lovely champagne in the bar and then a great dinner in the restaurant; it was a real treat. Lincoln itself was really wonderful with great individual shops for some excellent Christmas shopping. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Booked as a birthday surprise for my husband, so booked the biggest/most expensive room in the hotel, with the restaurant booked for the evening due to great reviews. Really, really wanted to like the place, and in retrospect wish I hadn't had such high expectations.

Good points first: great spot, great parking, lovely building and gorgeous gin & tonics. Bathroom was nice and drench shower amazing. Breakfast was delicious, aside from cheap, tasteless tea.

The rest.... room looked like it'd been renovated on the cheap (sorry!) cheap cushions/ throws etc, and the room had obviously originally been dark wood, over-painted in white. I know this because on opening the cupboards, the woodwork is suddenly dark again, with smears of white paint where the brush has touched the frame from painting the doors, where either the decorators got bored, or the paint ran out. Shoddy. Walls are paper thin. Could hear everything - and I mean *everything* from the room next door, and late at night we could also herre people in downstairs rooms. Kills the mood a bit!

Restaurant. On check in, saw the evening menu and was surprised to see roast turkey on the mains list, and xmas pud on the dessert menu, as though they'd not yet bothered to update the Christmas menu, in mid-January. However, turkey was the only thing I could eat on the menu, so was willing to overlook this for the opportunity to dine there. Got to the restaurant only to be told that the turkey and xmas pudding were off the menu!! So it *was* the Christmas menu still, just with the two Christmas items removed. Told the waitress there was nothing I else I liked on the menu and she mentioned the chicken curry special. I didn't come to a decent restaurant to eat curry, so we left and had to chance another place in Lincoln which was very very average, so inadvertently, I'd managed to spoil the entire birthday surprise for my husband. Gutting.

And before the hotel respond to this, I also work in the hotel industry and know how disappointing these reviews can be. But on checking out, did I mention any of this?? No, but purely because the guy who checked me out, did NOT ask *at all* how our stay was, which was staggering. All he asked was for me to enter my PIN number, so I decided at that point to put my experience on here instead.

Very disappointing, lots of money wasted, a spoilt birthday and will not be returning. And I still think that's a shame, as I'd love to dine in the restaurant. Live and learn I suppose.

Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Lindsay P
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Brilliant location. Good for parking. On arrival greeted by very nice staff. The rooms were beautifully decorated and breakfast was lovely with lots to choose from. Lincoln is a lovely place to stay and would go back and even stay at this hotel again, highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Fingy07
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed in room 204 for 2 nights. Room was a good size and very nicely decorated with a decent sized bathroom, with large walk in shower with a rain shower head.

Reception staff were efficient and friendly.

We stayed on dinner, bed and breakfast, and were so glad that we did.

The breakfasts were cooked to order and were delicous. The Al-a-carte menu in the restaurant was first class, and the food was excellent, even if you don't stop at the hotel I would highly recommend the 'Reform' restaurant. The salted caramel ice cream which was part of my dessert, was the best ice-cream I have ever tasted!

We would definately stay and again.

1  Thank MattRach456
Reviewed December 31, 2012

A perfect 3 night stay marred by the newspaper service. Day one no paper or explanation until I asked. Day two ok. Day three another guest was reading it as left on a table in the restaurant. A small niggle but the lack of room delivery or retention by reception spoilt otherwise a great deal of attention to the details. Oh and the knives are difficult to hold - you'll see !! I will return though.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed here as a last minute booking and not even knowing the layout of Lincoln! So glad we picked The Castle! The owner was great - gave us a map of Lincoln and recommended a nice pub nearby, he also went out of his way to ensure there was a parking space big enough for our car! The hotel is on a quiet street in the old part of town just by the cathederal and castle which makes it a beautiful location and within easy walking distance to the main attractions of Lincoln. The room was lovely - not an overly big room but nicely furnished with low key lighting and a rainfall shower. Breakfast was great - there are menu options (the scrambled eggs were amazing) and a continental buffet. Would highly recommend staying here!