“Really nice, if in the backend of town”

The Modern Indian Cuisine
Ranked #102 of 467 Restaurants in Lincoln
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Fancying something spicy on a Sunday evening we spotted the reviews on TripAdvisor. Having been a bit puzzled at the mix of reviews poor reviews I'm pleased to say our experience was great. As is typical with many Indian restaurants, it is located in a less pleasant part of Lincoln south of the railway station and near the Roxy Wetherspoon. That said, it was easy to get to as we had a 15 minute walk from our hotel on Brayford Wharf. We hadn't booked, which was fine as it was about 25-30%. The staff were good, the decor very modern and the food was excellent. I had a King Prawn Chatt (puree) and a spicy chicken curry (name escapes me). I would go again.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We have had this Restaurant recommended on a few occasions, so we decided that we should really give it a try and we were not disappointed.
Recently refurbished and very well done. Staff were extremely polite and very helpful. Quality of food was very good and some excellent choices on the Menu.
We have a few Indian Restaurants close to home but will definitely be walking past them very soon the return to a The Modern. Give it a try you won't be disappointed .

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

I was forced to find somewhere to eat, when the premier Inn I was staying at told me that 930pm was the earliest possible time for me to eat. So, I hit trip advisor as I usually do in these circumstances. Fancied a curry and ended up here. I was initially concerned due to the lack of customers but I was proved wrong. Great service and made to feel very welcome. Order a saag chicken prawn bound; with rice and pratha and a cheeky fish pakora on the side. Food arrived promptly and was piping hot when it did. It's just a shame I couldnt eat it faster! The only minor criticism was to say the mint raita was way too sweet. Aside from that - everything else was perfect. I'll be suggesting a return visit with my colleagues upon our next trip to Lincoln. Good skills!

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Visited here for the first time in March 2014 because of trip advisor reviews.
I ordered chicken tikka masala (not very adventurous, but normally one of my favourite curries in Indian restaurants); however, this was more like a very bland korma. Other meals also lacked in authentic Indian flavour. Onion bhajis looked suspiciously like giant frozen ones. I understand that the chef probably wants to cater for a 'UK palate' but you can still achieve flavour without extraordinary heat.
Furthermore, service was average at best - staff appeared more dedicated to their takeaway customers.
A real shame as the restaurant looks lovely and has potential.

1  Thank Hannah93_12
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We ate here on a weds night and on arriving thought it was closed as no one was in, this was the only negative to our visit. The staff were very welcoming and gave my partner advice on his meal choice, food was lovely. Would recommend this place just a shame its not busier