“Fairly average, let down by poor service...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Lincoln Tapas - CLOSED

Lincoln Tapas
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Fairly average, let down by poor service...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Went with my partner, her brother and Mum for a pre-theatre dinner on a Saturday evening. We were given the option of sitting in the window- which seemed like a good idea- however, the table was too big for the space, resulting in quite a cramped, but pretty view over the High Street (and into the Slug & Lettuce staff room).
We ordered some wine and were offered a jug of water also- something which is strangely lacking these days, and the waitress not-so promptly brought us the wrong bottle, and proceeded to drop a glass on the table as well.
Clearly having a nightmare, albeit very politely, she apologised and excused herself, before mysteriously being replaced by another waitress...
We ordered the food, a selection of bowls, ranging from Chicken and Chorizo in a tomato sauce to a cold meat platter. the food was brought out as and when it was ready, rather than a table full at once. Having been to a number of tapas restaurants, I am not sure this is entirely authentic; the food was of an adequate quality- hot and tasty, the prawns were plump and juicy, with only the calamari disappointing (at over £5, it was also slightly overdone, leaving quite a rubbery texture).
With the food done, and the curtain raise looming, we paid a modest sum and left.
To summarise- fairly good food, but certainly not the best tapas in Lincoln, a pretty, if slightly flawed location, and pleasant, polite staff who are just a shade off average. I'd recommend as somewhere to take a long term partner, but not somewhere to go to impress.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank PeteSaddington

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Return visit as a recommendation to friends”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Having dined with friends at Lincoln Tapas several months ago, it seemed appropriate that we should make a return-visit with different friends, on our recommendation. I called ahead to secure a table for four, and was told on the phone that we could be squeezed in. We arrived at the restaurant, again walking the 'taxi-cab-firm-esque' flight of stairs. We were seated on the same table as the last time, in the window with a view over the high street, not a bad table. A sharing platter was ordered among other dishes to satisfy our hunger. The selection of meats resembled an aldi charcutterie selection, the salad was most definately bought in ready chopped, and the other dishes were as about as authentic Spanish as I am. We sat and grumbled over our 'meal', slugged back with asahi beer, local to madrid I believe ;0) At the end of the meal I went to pay, stating my observations to the jack of all trades, waiter, server, barman and occassional chef. I was told that the original proprietors have now left, and it seems to me that the quality of the place has gone with them.
In my previous review I was fair and honest about this small, potentially very good eaterie. It is a great shame that I will no longer be able to recommend this place to friends or family.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank skiskatesurf1
Scotland
“Not worth it's rating”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We went here due to it's rating on Tripadvisor. Yes it was a Saturday night, but no excuse for slow service. The manager seemed to be trying to run the place himself, which left long gaps between visits to the table. The tapas was uninspiring, and mainly tasteless. The manager said he had lived in Spain, however the food was not Spanish in taste or design. Don't waste money going here - save up & go to Spain.

• Visited November 2012
Bristol
“Lunch-time Tapas!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Although the exterior of this building reminds you a little of a sandwich shop, we were pleasantly surprised after walking up the stairs to the restaurant above the high street.

We were a large party but were seated quickly, and the staff were very attentive.

There was a large choice on the tapas menu, and the waiter was happy to advise the best food to order, and how many dishes we'd need (I never know how far these little dishes go!)
The food was hot, delicious and plentiful.

Great value for money, we even bartered how much we were going to pay per head!

I would visit again.

• Visited November 2012
“Food good but restaurant was dirty”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We visited here for an impromptu lunch having seen the good reviews on here. Entrance looks like a taxi firm and when we sat down the table was sticky and had crumbs on it. We ordered our drinks and our glass of wine had lipstick marks on it which was noticed by the waiter who replaced it but the red wine was chilled so we sent it back and had a soft drink instead.
The food itself was very nice although felt that compared to other tapas restaurants i have visited value for money could have been better.
We wouldn't visit here in the evening but for a quick lunch it was ok.