“First visit to an old favourite in latest guise”
Review of The Farmers

The Farmers
Ranked #127 of 470 Restaurants in Lincoln
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Set in the beautiful Lincolnshire Countryside just 7 miles from Lincoln. The Farmer's offer excellent dining in an intimate setting. Selling locally sourced organic Lincolnshire produce, our menu consists mainly of traditional British recipes.
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Over the years we have visited this establishment in many of it's guises. The latest, The Farmers, seems to have got of to a slow start.
Our group of six visited for Sunday lunch and enjoyed a good meal.
I enjoyed my locally smoked salmon (would have been interested to know where it was smoked), the honey roast gammon and the Eton Mess style pudding. Coffee was good. Good vegetables and very light yorkshire puddings.
Some of the party would have preferred to have had the option of a traditional roast meal - the only beef was an eight hour slow cooked version.
We were surprised that the restaurant was only half full and thought it deserved to have had more tables occupied - it would have improved the atmosphere - the friends who booked said that it has been full in the week when they visited.
Sunday lunch for 6 for starter, main course, four puddings, coffee and a small round of drinks cost £21/head which seemed a good price.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We ate at the Farmers during a weekend away for our tenth wedding anniversary and found it lacking in every respect. The food was very poor and overpriced. The meat was dry and dull, the desserts, which were straight from the Tesco (or wherever) desserts freezer, were so dull and unoriginal.

The music was unbearable. Firstly, they were playing two different playlists, at the same time, in the same room, which is insane. Secondly, the music was appalling - yes, it's completely subjective, but playing a depressive love anthems CD on repeat on a Saturday night?! Really?! It just went on and on. I couldn't wait to get back to out outside.

My advice for the owner would be change the menu and/or the chef and get some help with the music.

1  Thank skateshake
Charlotte M, Owner at The Farmers, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear Skateshake,
Not a lot I can say to you regarding this, no idea when you visited or what you had, in fact the whole review seems to centre on our choice of background music, which is...interesting.

We’re not overpriced, we won’t be changing our chef, there’s nothing wrong with our menu or our food. Our Desserts are not from Tesco’s or anyone’s ‘freezer’ (barring our ice cream of course which we do keep in our own freezer!).

In fact, if I was setting out to write a review of somewhere, that provided the LEAST helpful content possible then yours would make a great template! I only hope others reading your review will dismiss it from mind as I have done.

The Farmer’s.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We ate at The Farmers last Saturday evening, table booked for 6.30 and 3 courses later we were home by 7.45. A pleasant welcome but before we had sat down we were asked for our drinks order. We chose from the menu and our starters arrived within 10 minutes which made us think it was all precooked. My husband chose black pudding and sausage frittata which arrived quicker than expected. My choice was chicken liver pâté with brandy which was just one rather too soft spoonful with some bread. Our main courses also arrived in double quick time, fish pie, plenty of fish but in a rather thin pinkish sauce and very little potato. The sauce reminded me of warmed up diluted prawn cocktail sauce out of a bottle. I've never had pink sauce in a fish pie before. It was served with peas and a few undercooked chopped up green beans. I like my veg. al dente but not undercooked. My Husband had steak and ale pie with one minuscule piece of over cooked
broccoli and undercooked green beans. The appearance of the pie looked factory made because the pastry looked as if it had come out of a foil disposable container. Both meals were not generous portions so we felt we needed a dessert which is very unusual for us. I chose a lemon trifle which was served in a knickerbocker glory glass with a couple of cubes of chopped up sponge cake in the bottom, filled up with what tasted like thin lemon curd which was topped with whipped cream, hardly a trifle. My husband chose chocolate tart with strawberrIES and pistachio ice cream. The tart was about 1" wide at the widest end, ONE STRAWBERRY cut in half and a small spoon of ice cream. We paid the bill and left. We do not live in the area so we will not be returning toThe Farmers. When we were asked if everything was alright my Husband did tell the Waitress about the poorly cooked vegetables and although she said she would pass on the message we didn't get any feedback from the kitchen. Attractive website but not reflected in the food. We don't mind paying a little more for a good meal but in this instance it was not a case of you get what you pay for. One more point to make, there was a table behind ours and the diners could not get to it to sit down without asking me to move which I thought was a bad table arrangement.

Charlotte M, Owner at The Farmers, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

I was genuinely sorry to read that The Farmer’s didn’t meet your expectations. You’ve taken the time to write this review so it seems only right that we at least acknowledge and address the points you make.

Our service style is relaxed (we are a pub) and therefore us asking you if you would like some drinks before seating you at your table is the norm for us.

As you say you were booked at 6.30pm – our first table for the night in fact! You ordered a pate and the sausage and black pudding fritter (not frittata). Neither of these starters are particularly time consuming to put together and being the first table, the Kitchen could deal with your order quickly. Please don’t assume because we prep extensively and are very well prepared for a busy Saturday night service that our food is ‘precooked’.

Your fish pie, as it states on the menu incidentally, was in a ‘Parsley and Shellfish Cream’, the ‘pink’ colour comes from the shells used to flavour the sauce. I am sorry you didn’t feel there was enough potato for your liking as you point out we like to put the emphasis on the fish rather than the topping.

Factories are not the only places that use foil containers, kitchens use them too. When you have to make as many pies as we do in a week it is just easier. Our Pie is a proper pie, not a stew with a puff pastry lid; it has a pastry top and bottom. We switched to using foils as they can be pricked to prevent ‘soggy bottoms’. Once again neither of these dishes takes a long time to prepare.

As for vegetables, we send plenty, but you are always welcome to order some extra if you’d like. We don’t believe your veg was undercooked and no one else that evening (a further 48 diners) mentioned anything similar. We don’t pile plates high with food that is true but we are well known for NOT being stingy with our portions; they are more than ample for the majority of people that come to us, I congratulate you and your husband on what are two very voracious appetites!

As for puddings, people generally love our puddings, they’re fun and playful and jolly tasty, your husband’s Chocolate Tart was incredibly rich, and your lemon trifle was a lot more than you are describing but I realise by this point we are flogging a dead horse.

You were seated on table 10, we’ve never had a problem with this ‘table arrangement’ before, unless of course someone sits with their chair sticking right out, in which case we would yes, have to kindly ask them if we could get by.

Pate £5.50, Fritter £5.50, Fish Pie £11.25, Steak Pie £10.00, Chocolate Tart £4.95, Trifle £4.95 – total for a three course meal without drinks ~ £42.15. I’m not quite sure where it is you eat ordinarily but if you can find what we do cheaper then I’d love to go – it must be an amazing place!

Kind Regards,

The Farmers.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Visited the Farmers for my husbands birthday, we have been before and have eaten in the bar but we decided to go into the restaurant as it was a special occasion, as always we were greeted immediately by friendly staff , she offered us a choice of tables in a very welcoming environment. We all had different meals but each one was excellent and beautifully presented. Desserts , well, go for the doughnuts, they melt in your mouth mmm and arrive in a small brown paper bag, The Farmers is a real treasure so don't drive past it, stop and enjoy. If its just for a drink or a meal the staff are so welcoming and attentive. We will no doubt be returning !

1  Thank Lynn840
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Wow. What can i say my partner and i visited a few sundays ago. I had a pate starter and for main i had the 8 hour beef which i have to say is the best beef ive ever had along with the roast potatos. My parter had the free range chicken which also was superb. Very reasonably priced. The bread was home made and so were the chips. I relocated to lincolnshire 5 years ago and this truely is the best meal ive had whilst eating out. The staff were extremely friendly and i would have classed this as a 5 star restaurant. Lovely decor and surroundings. Absolutely first class service and food. Will be going back this sunday and will be a regular place for us dispite living 30 miles away. I can not recommend this place enough.

1  Thank Kim O