“Old world luxury and a home from home feel”
Review of The Old Palace

Ranked #13 of 51 Lincoln B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We stayed here for just one night but could have done with longer! It's a fantastic neo-gothic house right next to the Cathedral and at one time was the Bishop's palace, hence the name. The rooms are all good sized and spacious, even though we were on the top floor in what would at one time have been the servants' rooms and in other parts of the hotel are bigger, more luxurious rooms with four poster beds and free-standing baths. Next time! There are even some rooms in a converted chapel. Breakfast is served in a pleasant, airy room overlooking the garden and there was an excellent selection of cereals, fruit, bread, toast and pastries as well as hot cooked food including several methods of egg, full English and vegetarian. One of us is Vegan and they even supplied soya milk. Downstairs is a gorgeous drawing room with comfy chairs to while away your evenings or a mid-morning catch up with the papers. Upstairs is a stunning functions rooms with views across the valley and to the cathedral where they host weddings and parties. The staff were kind, welcoming and helpful - they looked after our bags while we slogged up and down Steep Hill and explored the town, they brought drinks to the drawing room and the bedroom and they were really kind and friendly. There is also a lovely garden again with great views.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Ben O, General Manager at The Old Palace, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear tragg m.

Thank you for taking the time to post a very kind review, and I am naturally delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to your next visit, when as you say, I'm sure we can accommodate you in one of our fantastic suites.

With Very Best Regards.

Ben Orton

Reviewed August 4, 2014

Fantastic place and perfect location,although it was hard to find even with the post code.
Once found,it was a lovely place to stay (we were in the Chapel at the rear)
The staff were excellent and the breakfast very good.
The terrace is a lovely place for a drink with the views over Lincoln one way and the Cathedral the other.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a large arched window if staying in the Chapel
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cassie63
Ben O, General Manager at The Old Palace, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Hi Cassie 63.

Thank you very much for your review and kind words regarding our hotel.

Lets hope that the great weather we've been having holds so we can keep enjoying the terrace!

I very much hope that we will be able to welcome you back to The Old Palace soon.

With Best Regards.

Ben Orton

Reviewed August 1, 2014

I liked it but...our room was small and cramped and hellishly hot - no fan supplied! There again, we didn't ask for one, so not really giving the hotel a proper chance there.

It's a fabulous old building with little nooks and crannies every where. Loads of character. Think I would describe the place as "shabby elegance".

The food was superb. Had an evening meal and a breakfast during our stay. An hotel which can actually cook vegetables well is a rare thing these days. Breakfast was gorgeous. Staff were lovely and friendly.

Room was clean, sheets and towels were all in good order. The cathedral bells stopped at midnight (I think) but cranked up again at 7.00am. Only there a night, so no problem but could grow to hate that kind of alarm call if I was there a week!

I'd stay there again. That part of Lincoln is stunning. So, so pretty.

Room Tip: Use the sat nav post code, not the postal address postcode! My word, it was a tricky business findin...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I wasn't sure Mum would come through her op last year so - as she was taken into theatre - I promised I would take her to the Savoy, or the Ritz, in London for her 80th Birthday Celebration. Thankfully she pulled through, but with mobility issues, so I re-thought the plans and decided to plan her celebrations nearer to her home, rather than mine.

I have been to both the Savoy and the Ritz but I was so amazed at what the Old Palace offered my Mum; I knew I made the right choice.

After booking I was in regular contact with the Old Palace, ensuring my booking and explaining my Mums issues - they could not have been more caring and considerate.

Mum felt special from the minute she stepped into the Hotel until the moment we, reluctantly, left.

Thank you to ALL the staff - you really are kind, caring, chatty, genuine and lovely. We be back as I said I will take her every birthday from now on.

The evening meal was top class - really the best I have eaten in a long time - you must eat there at least once.

A special thank you to Sue who helped us last night when we found ourselves sampling the lavender - up close and personal!!!

Room Tip: We were in room 6 which is a twin, but small, however it was great for Mum as she has to move around...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Beemerboo
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We have stayed at the old Palace before and booked for our daughter's wedding. The wedding was perfect, as we intended it to be less formal than most, with the reception as a garden party. The guests were all impressed by the building and the garden. The location is perfect as the wedding was at the Judge's Lodgings by the cathedral and it was a lovely walk there and back from the hotel.

The staff could not have been more pleasant, attentive or hard working. Even if we never did get a do not disturb sign for our room! The team serving the wedding reception met all the timings and were happy and engaging all night. The wedding planning team were also excellent before the event. We paid for a late music licence until 11.30pm and the guests were partying well in the garden until then.

The rooms are not quite perfect, as a result of being in a historic building. The ones in the Lodge (the converted chapel) are more modern and all unusual. There are limited opening windows to some rooms as the windows are the old church windows. The ones in the main building have a less modern feel, but that suits the building. The views in the main building are impressive, either toward the cathedral or long views to the south over Lincoln.

The food is good. I can recommend the restaurant where the food is excellent and the breakfast is good quality and plentiful.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Alistair R
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Stayed in The Lodge here as part of a wedding party and was very impressed with our room. It was spacious and the en suite was very roomy with a double sized shower cubicle. As it was such a hot weekend there was even a fan in our room! We had a short walk to the main building for breakfast each day but that wasn't a problem at all. The staff were friendly and helpful; the food was great and we were made to feel welcome at all times. The magnificent cathedral was just next to us and the old town was a stone's throw away with all the cobbled streets and olde worlde ale houses. We will be coming back to stay again and explore this lovely city!

Room Tip: Stay in The Lodge where there is a nice open lounge area to sit as well as the bedrooms and the cath...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 27, 2014

The hotel is difficult to find, no sign outside the door, we were there but didn't realise it. We stayed in room 2 and it was fine except for the noise of the lift saying ''door closing, going down'' breakfast and the breakfast staff were superb and the grounds are fantastic. I asked a maid if the place was haunted and she said yes although nothing was experienced. The wifi from this room was poor.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple