“Rustic is one thing, peeling wallpaper is another”

The Dovecote Restaurant and Freehouse
Ranked #281 of 467 Restaurants in Lincoln
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We've often passed the place and thought we must try it sometime. Well, we did and it's one of those place you walk in and consider walking straight back out again. When it's anything like full you're right on top of each other and queuing for the carvery is ... err ... how can I put this? ... a bit snug.
For the most part the food was good with the exception of a Yorkshire Pudding that looked and tasted like today's burnt offerings and the human hair in the glass of orange juice. Rustic is one thing, wallpaper peeling off the walls stretches rustic charm to screaming point. The 1970s are over, guys, standards are supposed to have moved on a bit since then.

2  Thank Leon L

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The occasion was mothers 91st birthday so very special.. Number in the party 11 + baby in high chair. Initial impressions on entering were Ok until we were shown to our table. We had been put in a 'side' room which was probably suitable for 1 large table of 8 Plus another table for 4. We were crammed in to the remaining space on 4 garden type tables with plastic garden chairs (covered to look pretty) There was not room for us to sit let alone get in and out to the carvery. After some negotiation we were given another small table to the side for a couple with baby which did help to make space but in no way made the setting acceptable. When the other tables in the area filled up it was cramped and unpleasant. I would imagine some fire and/or health regulations were badly breached. The carvery serving area is totally inadequate and when we first arrived the queue was immense and I felt sorry for the people seated near the carvery who were surrounded by the queue. As I said the food from the carvery was very nice and plenty of it. However the starter and desert are served at the table and here I have to say was another big negative. The service was slow and some of the staff had a real attitude which added nothing to the occasion. So if you can find a quieter time to go then the food is good and pricing is reasonable. In peak time -- never again, it was a horrible experience.

1  Thank Richard B
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We went for a spur of the moment carvery, and I'd be lying if I said we weren't nervous. We walked through the door expecting this place to be dead, especially with the bad reviews. It was jam packed and stayed that way. The food was good, the meat was really juicy and I couldn't rate it highly enough for the price. Ignore the reviews, go and make your own decision.

4  Thank Wheresmegoggles
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband went to this restaurant craving a carvery one Sunday. We sat in the car before we went in flicking through the reviews on here and felt apprehensive given its rubbish ratings! However, we were hungry and thought how bad could it be? We walked in, dressed smartly as it was a Sunday after all! (We're in our twenties but old at heart) and we got stared at like we'd spouted extra heads. It wasn't especially busy but a cackling group of old men at the bar made it louder than necessary! We were not sure whether we'd have to sit ourselves or be shown to a table so I asked some of the girls behind the bar and they just told us (smile free) to seat ourselves. We found a table directly in front of the carvery and I felt a bit exposed sat there so we gathered our belongings and vacated to a table next to a wall and the disabled toilets. A waitress then thanked us for moving as there was now more space in front of the carvery! Don't have a table directly in front of it then! I ordered our food at the bar when the girl there finally decided to turn around from preening in the mirror and teasing her hair! She took my order and payment and told us to help ourselves at the carvery I had to remind her that we needed tickets which she then gave me. At the carvery I asked for beef but the man serving told me he didn't have any (the girl at the bar had failed to inform me) so I settled for lamb and turkey for my husband. The vegetables were plentiful and we helped ourselves and ate our food. The quality of the food was fantastic. We waited quite an age for our plates to be cleared but then had a dessert each of chocolate fudge cake which was beautifully presented and tasted gorgeous! I can't fault the food. The decor was very rustic indeed with a burning fire and agricultural tools dangling from the ceiling (securely fastened I hope!). As much as the old farmhouse decor was charming it was also filthy I'm sorry to report and the whole place needed a good general clean up.. Not moderning at all, just cleaning! The old blokes were sat right behind us and made a right racket continually. I imagined they were regulars and the chef joining them for a beer confirmed so! I think he was the manager too. Overall the food was divine and good value for money but the service left a great deal to be desired. I work as a waitress myself and know that a lacklustre and bored look is unacceptable on bar staff or waiting staff! The girls simply looked like they couldn't be bothered but I can think of plenty of people who'd want their jobs! I think a little bit of customer service training and a good cleaning of the place would work wonders. It's a beautiful, rustic place and serves lovely food but it's staff and cobwebbed, dusty walls let it down!

1  Thank ScreamQueen510
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We have been here lots of times and usually its a good carvery for a fair price but we booked for mothers day and it was terrible. First of all they decided to capture all the extra business by opening a old and freezing get cold tent area up as some kind of overspill for all the unsuspecting. People who were booking ! Designed for a down market wedding by the looks of it some people actual sat with there coats on it was a disgrace and to add insult to injury the meat from the hot carvery food was cold not look warm but cold ! In addition the brought in a number of one off staff who had no idea how to serve repeatedly not bringing orders until you asked twice. In all honesty they ruined what should have been a lovely day out. I for one winter be going back the very least they should have done is offered everyone their money back.

2  Thank Blair M